1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pooooor Aggies...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by haven, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I'm sure Refman will bet with you :p

2. Smokey

Even after losing to aggy and aggy north this year, OU won the Big 12 and the Rose Bowl. What did UT do after losing to OU? The Cotton for the 3rd time under Brown. Pat yourself on the back.

Who was aggy's head coach? It was not Frannochio. If you don't think aggy can become a winner, ask Stoops how he turned a crap program into a champion. I'm not saying aggy will win the national title, but they will win the Big 12 before Brown.

3. Smokey

Also look at what Brown did at Texas. From 4 wins in '97 to 9 wins in '98. A new coach can make a big difference. Too bad our coach can't coach on gameday, but he's one hell of a recruiter.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

2003 Aggie Recruiting

[​IMG]

5. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

You have got to be high. Currently CBS sportsline ranked A&M with the #12 recruiting class in the nation...Texas was #7. not too far off.

Mack didn't come in with only 6 weeks to go before signing day.

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Really? These were both recently updated, but I did notice that they are no longer in the top 100 at rivals.com. Can you please give some sources where they are ranked 17th? Preferably more than one.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/ce/feature/0,1518,5870495_56,00.html
    The firing of R.C. Slocum was expected to hurt the Aggies, but it has only had a minimal effect on the recruiting. The Aggies did lose a few players including quarterback Drew Tate, but retained the majority of the class. They still have players such as Lamar Mitchell, Jason Jack, and Justin Warren.

http://recruiting.theinsiders.com/3/team_rankings.html

7. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Smokey, you are making statements and predictions that your own people are not backing you on. Fraggy will be an upgrade, no doubt, but to think that he will be the savior is a stretch. Mack’s current tenure at UT exceeds that of any of Fraggy’s past 6 positions. IF he is successful with the aggy, he will be out the door to the NFL in a heartbeat. If you do not think so, well, that’s fine, but in the case of Fraggy, I think we see a pattern repeating itself over and over and over and over and over and over and more than likely over again.

I hope I am wrong b/c one day we may need you guys for strength of schedule.

That was strictly due to head to head competition. Not that I am proud of it but Texas actually receives a co-Big XII South Champ trophy… you guys get what.. a new head stone for those dead dogs?

I must have missed the aggy bowl game… which one was it?

Okay, that’s a little harsh… What were your last 3 bowls????

galleryfurniture.com Bowl - What a joke to consider that a bowl
    Independence Bowl – Wrecking crew rides again.. gave up 43 to the powerhouse Miss St
    Alamo Bowl – shut out…. By the way, have you found the last time UT was shut out yet?

Put your money where your mouth is. We will have plenty of time to get to know each other before the football season, bring it on.

8. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The Sporting News disagrees.

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/tom_dienhart/20030106.html
    "Texas A&M. Look for coach Dennis Franchione to have just-add-water impact. The offense that came to life in 2002 should continue to grow around young quarterback Reggie McNeal. Carl Torbush, who molded terrific defenses at Alabama and North Carolina, will fine-tune the Aggies' unit. "

9. mduke

mduke Member

TheHorns

Smokey is a UT fan, just thought I'd let you know.....Just because he thinks Fran is a better coach than Brown doesn't make him an Aggie.

10. mduke

mduke Member

Would you prefer beating OU and (as Stoopy's boys have done) losing to inferior competition thus not making it to a BCS bowl or losing to a team like OU as your only loss?

"Stoopy" is what, 11-1 against top 10 teams? He's been a head coach for what, 4 years? He ALREADY has more conference championships than Mack Brown, while Brown has a heckuva lot more head coaching experience.

11. Smokey

No only a fan, but a Texas Ex '03.

His responses were so hilarious I had to let him continue.

12. Major

Major Member

"Stoopy" is what, 11-1 against top 10 teams?

I'd take that and losing to some crappy teams here and there over what UT has done. No questions at all.

13. mduke

mduke Member

Yeah.....OSU in 2001 and A&M in 2002 were pretty bad....OSU 2002 was a good team.

14. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

I said nothing bad about him, I was simply making a point that all is not roses over in Sooner land and asking how we would react. People in Texas would have a fit if the situation were reversed. The only saving grace for Stoopy (deservedly) is the Nat'l Champ, just like the free pass Rudy has rec'd in Houston (which has been over extended).

UT alum would be every bit as pissed if we were beating top 10 teams while losing to unranked or fringe teams.

I think there is little doubt last year's OSU game along with A&M and OSU this year Stoopy was out coached, without a doubt. In the OU games in recent years, the same can be said for Mack.

I personally find it more acceptable that we lose to an OU team with about equal talent, but were out coached as opposed to the loss versus Tech who had inferior talent and yet Mack was out coached.

15. mduke

mduke Member

I personally find it more acceptable that we lose to an OU team with about equal talent, but were out coached as opposed to the loss versus Tech who had inferior talent and yet Mack was out coached.

If you really want Cotton Bowls every year, then sure, I guess that's what you'd want.

16. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Texas's 2001 class is rated as one of the best ever, for any school. Mack swept the DL, just like he did the OL in 2000 and the WR's in 2001. This year, it's the year of the DBs.

17. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Mack came in with zero recruits though. Mackovic didn't recruit early I guess. Fran came in with 18 or so recruits, and he's lost a few, but I think he'll be fine. Mack didn't coach UNC's bowl game, so I think Fran may have come in at about the same time Mack did.

18. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

grrr....I meant top 10, not top 100.

19. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

I do both losing to OU & Tech (thus landing in the Cotton Bowl) to be acceptable.

Who are you referring to as aggy north? Tech? OU lost to aggy & OSU.

I guess I was not paying enough attention to what you were saying and the "pat yourself on the back comment" threw me off.

First let me congratulate you on the soon to be graduation. Second, again, we can get to know each other, wager made, and I can be one of the first people to take a portion of your paycheck;) . I try to make a few of the summer practices.

20. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

EDIT

I do not find losing to BOTH OU & Tech (thus landing in the Cotton Bowl) to be acceptable.