1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Pooooor Aggies...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by haven, Jan 22, 2003.

1. haven

haven Member

Just thought I'd let you know...

...TAMU is now rated between 14 and 17 in most football recruiting services. Texas is ranked #3 and is given a good chances at #1.

And no retorts that "Championships aren't won in the Spring" or that Mack Brown is a terrible gameday coach. You guys were delighted about TAMU's lofty, artificial rating a couple months ago.

Told you TAMU would crash and burn once the quantity of their recruits began to matter less as other schools got more commits. It's all about the difference makers :).

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Can you recommend a good free site on the net for recruiting updates and rankings?

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you might try www.aTmisscrewed.com

just kidding, refman!!!!

4. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Fire Franny!

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Who's #1 right now? OU?

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

A&M may land 4 more recruits that would make a HUGE difference in the rankings:
    Xavier Lawson-Kennedy
    Jorrie Adams
    Red Bryant
    Earvin Taylor

Also...there's been a huge difference in recruiting philosophy. A&M has recruited according to need, whereas Texas recruits everybody (and then has them ride the pine for 3 years).

Look at A&M's class...OL and DL have been great this year.

If the games are really won in the trenches, I think the Ags will be just fine. :)

7. haven

haven Member

USC and Georgia are the leaders, with Texas and OU immediately behind.

I only brought this up because the Aggies annoyed me about recruiting this year. Ever since Mack (who missed out on a great career as a used car salesman) started battering RC into a bloody pulp in recruiting every year, they've downplayed the importance of it (despite the fact that we're kicking their asses on the field, too).

Then, TAMU gets a nice start in the recruiting year because they get a lot of "good" players to commit quickly, and suddenly recruiting is huge, and they're going to "reclaim" their place as THE football power in Texas.

Well, I (and other Texas fans) pointed out at the time that their ranking was propped up by the fact that the very best players hadn't committed yet for the most part. Now those players are starting to commit, and TAMU's class is very, very short on quality.

TAMU won't only not catch Texas in recruiting, but they won't finish w/in 10 places of them short of a complete miracle.

8. haven

haven Member

Refman:

Fine, in your dream scenario then, TAMU finishes in the top 10. In a more likely scenario, Texas gets the guys they're going after, and finishes #1.

Sure, it's possible TAMU will finish strong. But not anymore likely than that Texas will, too. Texas is kicking TAMU's ass in recruiting so far, and has more potential to finish well.

9. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but A&M has a fair number of the state top 100 as well. Texas is doing very well in recruiting (as expected). But with the coaching change, A&M is doing better than expected, especially at the OL and DL need positions.

10. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

The aggy method seems to be working quite well!!

Top 10 finishes vs. 5 loss seasons.

Gig 'em

11. haven

haven Member

Refman:

TAMU is set to have a far worse recruiting year than last year. Texas is doing about the same as they did last year. Even last year, Texas had a better class.

Even in TAMU's good years, Texas has better recruiting classes. In TAMU's bad years, Texas beats TAMU with a dirty stick in recruiting. This year, TAMU is recruiting like the border-line top 20 program that it is. Texas is recruiting like the elite school that it is once more.

Oh, btw... remember when Mack replaced Mackovic? Texas had a great recruiting year. Now all the Aggies use Franchione's entrance as an excuse... but Mack didn't need that excuse... even after UT had come off of a worse season than TAMU is currently doiung.

Excuses shall avail you not.

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Frannochio will win the Big 12 before Brown.

13. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Anyone want to make a wager? Screw "informational purposes only"!!!

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I could care less about winning these February championships if it's not going to turn into championships in December and January. Hell, I'd take a win in early October.

15. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Me too. After consecutive years of a 250+ mile trip resulting in a drunken depressed return trip, I think I would take that as well.

RM, let me ask you this. Would you prefer beating OU and (as Stoopy's boys have done) losing to inferior competition thus not making it to a BCS bowl or losing to a team like OU as your only loss?

16. Smokey

The status quo at Texas being lose to OU and still lose to inferior competition (CU 2 '01, Tech '02).

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'd take being OU over UT at this point. Two BCS bowls the last three years.

18. Smokey

If I knew you, I'd bet.

For the last 2 years OU (arguably the best team in the Big 12) has left the door open to win the Big 12. Texas has blown 2 opportunities. I believe with Frannochio, A&M won't blow it.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

let's get to know each other then! :)

20. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

The status quo at OU beat Texas lose to OSU '01 (a terrible team) and the aggy & OSU '02.

Niether is a good situation, but that is not what I was asking aggy. Screw beating us, you get back to me when you can beat
    in '02:
    Mizzou, Tech (at least once), a sh!tty Neb team, or OSU

'01
    ....and not get shut out by Tech (go take a look at the last time Texas was shutout).

Put all your hopes on Fraggy only to see them dashed.