1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Polygraph Tips Needed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OrangeCountyCA, Feb 27, 2008.

1. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i was gonna go with

[​IMG]

2. OrangeCountyCA

Yep, I've already gone through the contacting every acquaintance phase of the process. Hopefully, from what I understand, the polygraph is the last step. This thing has been going on for 2 months now.

I think in my case I need to be revisited every 5 years.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

One thing to keep in mind for future reference. Always keep the forms you fill out. They will be of great help for future recertifications, especially, if your company provides you with software to fill out the forms. It will save you a lot of time and effort and help your memory.

With respect to the polygraph...I would assume it would be similar to the forms and, in my case, the forms wanted me to answer ancillary questions based on the last 7 years of my life. If you had any regretful acts more than 7 years ago, hopefully it won't come up in the polygraph.

4. Astro101

Astro101 Member

My cognitive psych professor says you should just think everything you say is a lie to establish a baseline. My friend says to stick a tack in your shoe. My friend is dumb.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If it worked in Ocean's 13, why wouldn't it work here?

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

hahaha, 2 months. I don't know what level clearance you're going for, but that's so short...don't make yourself think it was a long time in any way ;)

After your poly, you'll either pass or not...many people have to go in a 2nd time due to some question marks on the test. If you do, don't worry about it...happens to plenty of people who get through their 2nd time. After the poly, it's very dependent on where you're going, but you'll usually have a week or 2 where you have a bunch of briefings and stuff before you actually get started.

You can't refuse a poly for a clearance.. bobrek, things may have changed. But now, you can certainly refuse it...but you won't be granted the clearance you're going for...or even have a chance at it.

Every 5 years is standard for one of the levels. As bobrek said, keep track of everything in the meantime. Financial records, addresses, schools you might attend, and have a contact for every residence, school, and job you are at during that time period (as you obviously know you end up needing).

7. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Just pause for a really long time before you give your answer.

8. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Because it totally didn't work on Mythbusters.

9. OrangeCountyCA

Well actually it was back in August when I completed and submitted my application/security questionaire. But the investigation/interviews started 2 months ago.

The unfortunate thing for me is that I can't start working until getting clearance (this is my first time). So ever since I signed the offer sheet (in July), I have not been working there. So the waiting perios has been more than 7 months.

10. bladeage

So you've been unemployed ever since?

11. OrangeCountyCA

No. I do have a part time job right now. I just haven't been able to find a job in my field (EE) since I thought I would start woking for this company soon.

12. bladeage

ah, ok.

Well lets just hope it isn't this guy asking you the questions.. otherwise it will be a long test.

[​IMG]

13. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

I would go in really nervous, or already in pain. Like ask someone to shoot you in the thigh right before you go in.

14. WildSweet&Cool

Mybusters episode info on beating the polygraph:
    http://mythbusters-wiki.discovery.com/page/Beat+The+Lie+Detector

eHow article on beating the polygraph:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2049691_beat-lie-detector.html

When I was 16, I worked at a movie theater. Somebody stole from the cash register and they made us all take polygraphs. When I took it, they asked me some questions multiple times. After the test, they said that the polygraph said I lied on all three times that they asked me to confirm my current home address (and I didn't lie).

15. OrangeCountyCA

Thanks for the two links.

But there's something that I'm not sure about. Some people say that it's good if you are relaxed. But this above link says that it's better if you increase your anxiety to beat the exam. So which is better, to be relaxed or be anxious?

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I did it "relaxed." I'd done some meditation, so I stared at a spot on the wall and let myself drift away from the situation. It's like feeling that you are doing something, but at a "remove." It worked. This was back in my hippie days. I was quite prepared for the damn thing, but swore I'd never take another, and I haven't. Either someone takes you at your word, or they don't (or won't). If they won't, I don't want any part of them. The tests are humiliating. You are assumed to be guilty of something, or why take the damn thing? Besides, they are unreliable.

I passed and got the job.

17. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

I'm guessing either BAE or Lockheed.

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

your prospective employer probably hacked into your pc and is monitoring this thread.

GOOD LUCK!

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

You don't need to "beat" anything if you're telling the truth based on everything I've seen. There's no need to be anxious. Just be normal. They'll baseline you with some questions (I don't want to detail how they do that--not really supposed to elaborate...not exactly the obvious answer though). Once they have your baseline, it won't matter if you were anxious, relaxed, or absolutely normal..

The polygraphs experienced by the guy who worked at the movie theater...I'm guessing they didn't have CIA/other fed dudes administering it who spent months training to read the poly's. It's a different situation.

20. OrangeCountyCA

Then let it be known that I am not a lier.
    Neither. It one of the other big ones. I will say that I'll be working in the Space Technology sector, where they make and launch satellites (either commercial or military)