1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Would you trade Dwight Howard for Marc Gasol?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SunsRocketsfan, Jan 13, 2015.

?

Would you trade Dwight Howard for Marc Gasol

1. Yes, I woudl trade Dwight Howard for Marc Gasol

214 vote(s)
    73.0%
  2. No, I would not trade Dwight for Marc Gasol

79 vote(s)
    27.0%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Talking about healthy and injured is just too simple.

Even when fully healthy Dwight is not as consistent and as good as he was in Orlando. Period.

2. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Really? I will reply to a thread that says you are wrong. Give a looksee. :)

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That said I'd rather trade him for someone who has big time potential and is still young because obviously Harden is still 24-25.

Marc is 28-29 not much younger than Howard, he is a better allround player now but what happens in 3 yrs time?

He is going to be skilled no matter what but I think his point production will shrink in time.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I watched him a lot in Orlando. He understood that he was an absolute beast on Pick and Roll, and was the best Roll Men in the league.

Running hooks and slam dunks in galore.

Then he focused solely on blocking shots, rebounding. He could palm the ball in his hand while blocking.

He knows his role, knows how to get his points.

In Houston he tries to be Hakeem and he is clearly not close to Hakeem on Offense.

5. Normalus

Normalus Member

Considering Marc Gasol signs another 2-3 year contract with us after trade, I don't even hesitate to trade Dwight. Marc is cheaper, better shooter, great defensive player and is in much better form at this age than Dwight. It seems like Howard hit his prime at 23-24 age, since then his stats and presence on the court is gettin worse every year, especially defensively and he didn't improved much offensively since his rookie season. Marc at the other hand seems like playing his best basketball right now, and it's not surprising since most European players hit their prime late.

All who hit "No" may have their own opinion, but c'mon guys. The only reason you won't trade for healthy grizzlie is if he does not sign for extension.

6. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Member

Gasol is significantly better than Dwight right now. He's a better passing Center and he can shoot free throws. If this trade were available Morey would be insane not to pull the trigger. Whatever Dwight has in his trophy shelf doesn't matter. Dwight in his prime is better than Gasol, current Dwight < Marc Gasol.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The point about his form is a good one.

Gasol's game is probably going to translate into a good more 4-5 seasons of stellar play no doubt, he's getting better and is in his prime right now.

Dwight...not so sure. If this was NBA 2k I'd do it.

Right now nope, because I fear what other future stars that may consider Houston will think of us ditching Dwight like that. I'd rather ride it out with him and evaluate the situation when his contract is up.

8. kemah

kemah Member

OK then when Gasol gets injured AGAIN who is it we want? Durant? No wait he was injured and came to earth. Unibrow? No wait he was injured all last year and a no show. Which flavor of the month? Hmmmmm. See the fair weather fans are back.

9. Sephkane

Sephkane Member

"We've got 82 games and the playoffs. I'll do my damage when it's time."

Now enough with the silly trade ideas. Gasol don't wanna see Dwight "when it's time."

10. Aleron

Aleron Member

He has Allen, Conley and Lee in front of him, and yet their defense isn't even top 10. Added to that, their defense actually gets better when he's off the court (because their rebounding improves markedly), the guy can't rebound, and it hurts his team a lot. To say his defense is grotesquely overrated might be a grotesque understatement on my part.

Zbo doesn't take Gasol's rebounds, Zbo gets them because Marc can't.

11. Sephkane

Sephkane Member

People seem to be looking at and comparing their stats and then deciding who is better from that. This is why none of you are Morey, lol.

Do any of y'all even see how Dwight changes the game with his mere presence? People like Harden doubt themselves when Dwight is down there. I'd take just Dwights presence over Marc Gasol. He scores 2 or 3 more points and gets 2 or 3 less rebounds than an injured Dwight Howard. The poll options were easy, lmao.

12. omgTHEpotential

You're probably my favorite poster right now. You can make me laugh almost every time. In his whole NBA career Marc missed only 39 games.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Read my posts... I advocated for grooming our own Cousins, Davis light version instead of Gasol.

Howand has 3-4 years at good but not quite great level (he can explode for 20 and 13+ in some of the games)

Gasol is still the better allround player. You can say that Dwight is responsible for our Defense.

Take last year and you know that the whole team has improved. Dwight is a major piece but clearly not a defensive Superstar any longer.

Or in other words: The West is too tough for him to dominate and his body isn't at Orlando's level

14. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

with his mere presence he changes the game in positive and negative ways...

one of the great advantages of dwight is
    1. he attracts other FA-s to houston,
    2. he gives us superstar power, as well as
    3. hes always cheerful and supportive of teammates........

but he also has a lot of intangible negatives that cant be put in stats easily... 1. hes a huge momentum killer...
    2. a huge flow killer...
    3. a huge chemistry kiler...if(?) he insists on not playing to his strenghts pnr and setting picks...
    4. a huge ball movement killer...

15. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

exactly

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

Kobe is a 5 time champ, and look at what he's doing right now. Stop llving in the past. Dwight is no longer who he was.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

You just basically contradicted yourself here.

18. koldlaser

koldlaser Member

You do realize Marc defends the whole court instead of camping down low all the time waiting for the crumble to fall? Marc is the best PnR, screen, and perimeter defending center in the game. He also has less offensive rebounding opportunities because he stays on the perimeter to give his teammates option for a kickout pass elbow jumpers.

If Dwight actually comes out and defends on the perimeter like Gasol or has any long range shooting skill his rebounding numbers would decline significantly.

And stop taking this kind of thread so seriously CF. This is meant to be tongue-in-cheek fun-size topic.

19. FTW Rockets FTW

Umm I thought most recent DPOY was Noah. What Gasol did was in the PAST.

Umm but does Gasol even lift? He looks too chubby for me. Give me the cut Dwight all day errday

20. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Pau Gasol plays away from the rim (takes jumpshots etc.) and still has 11.4 RPG, while playing next to Noah (who's also a very good rebounder) no excuses for Marc.