1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Who would you vote for?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Dec 20, 2007.

Tags:
?

If the 2008 featured these choices, which ticket would you support?

1. McCain/Lieberman

39 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. Hillary/Richardson

40 vote(s)
    40.4%
  3. Bloomberg/Hagel

20 vote(s)
    20.2%
  1. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

He has weighed out the possible consequences, determined he may have a 'lesser of two evils' choice, and concluded he will make that choice rather than potentially using his vote to make a inconsequential but moral statement. It really is at the opposite end of the spectrum from 'kool-aid drinking.'

2. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Since the invasion of Iraq the death toll exceeds 1.2 million. Almost 4000 American troops which is relatively a low number in comparison.

The estimates for deaths during the slave trade exceed 7 million.

As too overreacting............not so much.

3. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Only using exaggerated numbers.

4. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I wouldn't be too sad if the next President were either Hillary or McCain. McCain could probably work better with a Democratic Congress than Hillary could with the Republicans, but all in all either would be ok.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There won't be a Republican congress. Count on that. The Dems will be increasing their majority no matter who is elected Prez.

6. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Probably not, but it still would be best to have a President that could get things done with both parties.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I'll reassure the alternative was no better. Further proof that blind party voting is the root of hatred for our current president.

8. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

You are going to get a terrible president...

count on it.

The Republican and Democratic candidates will damage the economy, make poor foreign policy decisions and weaken the constitution.

Anyhow, you don't really have a choice you must choose either a republican or a democrat and they are controlled by money. Big money.

;)

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

You're right... comparing the two don't add up.

As a nation, we inherited slavery and eventually... after many decades and many ruined lives... we got it right (in theory at least).

The Bush administration is a folly entirely of our own making... the worst strategic decision in the history of the country, spitting on the world that generations of Americans (of both parties) helped to build, the betrayal of fundamental American principles... and it remains to be seen whether we can ever fix the myriad problems we've brought on ourselves.

I never imagined we could slip this far in so short of a time.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

That would be an improvement over cratering the economy, making disastrous foreign policy decisions and obliterating the Constitution.

Of course the next president is going to be terrible. I don't know why anyone would want to walk into this mess. The current administration has set so many spring-loaded traps that the next administration will be hamstrung on everything from the budget to the war.

I'm not looking for progress out of the next president. I'm looking for a repudiation of this one and a restoration of what we once were. If in 2012 we end up closer to 2000 then we are now, it will have been a success.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

John Kerry was a million times better than Bush in regards to upholding the constitution, and the war in Iraq, as well as corruption - destroying CIA tapes evidence, etc.

12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

um, this started off w/ deckard accusing others of being kool-aid drinkers if they dont blindly support one of the two major parties.

to me, getting behind a candidate whose policies you disagree with, just b/c of the letter infront of their name is the definition of kool aid drinking and reeks of tool-ism. you are allowing yourself to be used by people who do not represent your interests.

not to pick on deckard b/c he seems like a nice guy, but this is the stuff im talking about...

to me, this is the epitome of kool-aid drinking.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I agree with your concept but also understand where Deckard is coming from. He knows who the Dem alternatives are and has judged all of them better than the Republican choices. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Now, if he said he would vote for the Dem choice in 2012 no matter what, without even knowing who the candidates would be, then Deckard would be a complete knee-jerk Dem lackey. This is my opinion of the mindless zombies who thoughtlessly vote straight-ticket every time.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks, guys. I've been out of town in a place where the technology is circa 1980 (my Mom's, LOL!), so I haven't read some of this until now. Kudos for understanding where I'm coming from. (I'm still trying to figure out the Arnold thread! :eek: ;) )

Impeach Bush!

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think I really am impressed by the poise and style that Obama has used in responding to the multitude of Hillary's underhanded and dishonest tricks.

He's stayed positive, and turned it around on her. The more she's done it, the more it's backfired on her.

I think he can manage similar effect in a general election when the GOP try the same kind of stuff.

It is very refreshing to see that in this day and age in politics.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I thought about starting a thread entitled, "Huckabee is an Idiot!" This article, however, pretty much says it all regarding Huckabee's complete lack of qualifications when it comes to foreign policy. Frankly, it scares me knowing that I know a hell of a lot more about foreign policy than the current frontrunner for the GOP in Iowa. Yes, this Blade Runner can honestly say he could give Huckabee the latest New York Times and Washington Post, along with The Economist, pick up a Mad Magazine, and destroy his formerly fat butt in the field of foreign affairs. How I wish I were kidding! Read on...

Foreign policy gaffes plague Huckabee

Story Highlights
    NEW: Aide admits that Huckabee has "no foreign policy credentials"

NEW: Campaign official suggested tying Pakistan crisis to immigration issue

Huckabee appeared not to know that martial law had been lifted in Pakistan

Gaffes will have little effect on support for populist candidate, analyst says

PELLA, Iowa (CNN) -- A senior aide to Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee admitted Friday that the former Arkansas governor had "no foreign policy credentials" after his comments reacting to the assassination of former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto raised questions.

During an event Friday in Pella, Iowa, Huckabee said the crisis sparked by Bhutto's death should lead to a crackdown on illegal immigrants from Pakistan.

The Huckabee official told CNN that when he said that, Huckabee was trying to turn attention away from scrutiny of his foreign policy knowledge.

Huckabee's foreign policy credentials have been under a microscope since the candidate admitted that he was unaware of an intelligence report that Iran had suspended its nuclear weapons program earlier this month.

"In light of what happened in Pakistan yesterday, it's interesting that there are more Pakistanis who have illegally crossed the border than of any other nationality except for those immediately south of our border," Huckabee said Friday.

Americans might "look halfway around the world and say, 'How does that affect me?' ... We need to understand that violence and terror is significant when it happens in Pakistan, [and] it's more significant if it can happen in our own cities. And it happens if people can slip across our border and we have no control over them."

"The immigration issue is not so much about people coming to pick lettuce or make beds, it's about people who could come with a shoulder-fired missile and could do serious damage and harm to us," Huckabee said, "and that's what we need to be worried about."

The Huckabee official said he told Huckabee that his reaction to the crisis in Pakistan will be the story for the next several days, and until he is "briefed and up to speed" on Pakistan, a good place for Huckabee to draw the line is on illegal immigration. Watch a report about the 'surprising tactic' »

"Why does Rudy Giuliani get more credentials on homeland security than you do? You've been a governor," the Huckabee campaign official said he told the candidate.

The campaign official admitted that Huckabee's tough immigration talk is also aimed at helping him win male GOP voters in Iowa -- a bloc the official concedes the campaign has been losing ground with.

Huckabee said 660 Pakistanis entered the country illegally last year. When asked by a reporter the source for that statistic, Huckabee appeared unsure, saying, "Those are numbers that I got today from a briefing, and I believe they are CIA and immigration numbers." The Huckabee campaign later said the figure came from a March 2006 report by The Denver Post.

But the Border Patrol told CNN on Friday that it apprehended only "a handful" of illegal immigrants from Pakistan in 2007.

The number of illegal immigrants from Pakistan deported or apprehended is not mentioned in the latest report from the Department of Homeland Security/Office of Immigration Statistics. In 2005, the nation did not make the list of the top 10 sources of illegal immigrants. The previous year, Pakistan was the last country listed, but no specific numbers were given.

Huckabee is the GOP front-runner in Iowa, according to most polls. A Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll conducted December 20-23 and 26 has Huckabee leading former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney 36 percent to 28 percent among likely caucus goers. The poll's margin of error was plus or minus 7 percentage points.

As the campaigns enter the final stretch before the Iowa caucuses on January 3, Romney has gone on the attack against Huckabee, particularly focusing on his record on illegal immigration issues while he was Arkansas governor.

Huckabee's Friday comments on immigration came after he appeared to make another gaffe Thursday, when he seemed to suggest incorrectly that Pakistan was under martial law. Watch Huckabee's response to Bhutto's assassination »

While commenting on Bhutto's death during an Orlando, Florida, press conference, Huckabee told reporters that the United States' first priority should be to find the responsible parties.

"But the most urgent thing to do is to offer our sincere sympathies and concerns to the family and to the people of Pakistan, and that's the first thing we would be doing other than, again, trying to ascertain who's behind it, and what impact does it have on whether or not there's going to be martial law continued in Pakistan, suspension of the constitution," Huckabee said. "Those are concerns that the United States certainly should have."

Later Thursday, at an event in West Des Moines, Iowa, Huckabee told CNN that "it was not that I was unaware it was suspended, two weeks ago, lifted. ...The point was, would it be reinstated, would it be placed back in? All of the aspects of martial law have not been completely lifted even now. There's still a heavy hand Musharraf has used."

Conservative critics immediately pointed out that Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf lifted the country's state of martial law roughly two weeks ago.

The slip "ought to be really bad news for Huckabee," said the National Review's Jim Geraghty, writing on the magazine's Web site. "I'm not sure how big assassination-related news will play in the first primary states. Still, I think those misstatements will exacerbate the Huck/Not Huck divide in GOP circles." The National Review has endorsed Romney.

But CNN senior political analyst Bill Schneider said the debate over whether Huckabee has command of the nuances of the Pakistan crisis would have little impact on his support.

"Mike Huckabee is a populist. His comments on Pakistan reflect a populist understanding of the crisis, which, is to say, not much," Schneider said. "Sure, the political establishment is snickering, but I doubt that his misstatements bother his supporters much."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12...licy/index.html

Impeach Bush!

Save Us from Idiots. (please! )

17. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Deckard:

As a fellow Democrat, it would be awesome if you would let these guys go ahead on and nominate Huckabee (or Romney or Giuliani or Thompson or LOL Paul) and not convince them otherwise. McCain is more likely to be their nominee and, while he has a bucket of problems and will be relatively easy to defeat, he is still the most formidable of their incredibly weak field. Do us all a favor and don't help them figure that out. Instead, do like they do with Hillary and tell them how great a candidate Huckabee would be and how scared we are to face him. If you can't manage that, please pimp Romney as scariest and most formidable candidate as that would be fun too. TIA.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You have a point. I'm wondering how much attention the people of New Hampshire are paying to the GOP field. If they're paying any attention at all, McCain will stun the national pundits, and take the state. Should McCain get the nod, look for Bob Dole redux.

Aren't you just loving this?

Impeach Bush.

19. ImmortalD24

ImmortalD24 Member

Agreed! :cool:

20. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I'm with you there. I would vote for RP over anyone else in the race.