1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Poll: Which head coach would you choose?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBum, Sep 29, 2020.

?

Which coach would you choose?

1. Doc Rivers - all time playoffs record 91-89

29 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. JVG - all time playoffs record 44-44

42 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Ty Lue - all time playoffs record 51-31

12 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Mike D’Antoni - all time playoffs record 54-56 losing record

4 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. Sam Cassell

44 vote(s)
    22.4%
  6. Kenny Atkinson

25 vote(s)
    12.8%
  7. Ime Udoka

4 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. Others

36 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. D-rock

D-rock Member

It isn't easy now????

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Hire Bill Laimbeer, his WNBA teams are dynamos on defense and he is considered a great X's and O's coach. 3 WNBA titles already and working on his 4th.

And this will allow Rockets to embrace villain role to the hilt.

Only half joking.

macan likes this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I like the fact that we're interviewing coaches who aren't household names (aka retreads).

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Vanterpool must be all about analytics and stats that measure true efficiency and effectiveness.

6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Vanterpool must have good conversational skills because his track record is zero.

Two best candidates on the market are Joerger and Finch. They both have won as head coach in other leagues, Finch is a Euro legend just like Nurse was. They both are analytics guys. They both interviewed with the Pacers and would probably prefer to not work for Tilman.

7. steddinotayto

D-rock and zeeshan2 like this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

9. steddinotayto

When you say track record is zero are you referring to coaching experience or just head coaching experience? I only ask because your prerequisite for our next coach seems to be that he/she needs previous head coaching experience but the last time a head coach with a non-zero head coaching track record that won a championship was 9 years ago with Rick Carlisle. Nick Nurse (no NBA head coaching experience), Steve Kerr, Ty Lue, Erik Spoelstra all came from the assistant head coaching gig.

D-rock likes this.
  10. steddinotayto

I know you're taking Doc's signing with Philly really hard right now but it'll be okay.

D-rock likes this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lol mark Jackson
    The players on golden state got tired of him
    What do you think harden will be like ?

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Put on your glasses and read what I wrote again. Cassell, Jackson and Kidd are bad choices.

13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Doc wasn’t the issue. It’s Tilman. There are plenty of great guys left. Joerger or Finch are better coaches than Doc. Vanterpool is unproven at every level.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Cassell is a good choice because he brought championships to Houston

the last Houston hero, Rudy T won us our only 2 championships

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I understand why you like him. It’s why I dislike him, I think nostalgia is overrated. I would take Maxwell, Dream, Bullard, Ellie or Horry over him if we are basing it on winning a championship in Houston.

16. steddinotayto

I guess i'm still trying to understand your definition of "unproven".

Vanterpool has been an assistant in the NBA since 2012 and Finch has been an assistant in the NBA since 2011. Surely you're not suggesting that 1 year difference plus a D-League champion makes Finch somehow more "proven" right?

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Of course it is. Finch has won multiple championships as a head coach. Joerger has won multiple championships as head coach. That matters to me. I used to like you because of Otto Porter. I wish we could agree on this but we can’t.

Nick Nurse didn’t come out of nowhere. He was a winner before he got the job.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

steve kerr was a 90s hero for several teams
    look at his rings

treyk3 likes this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Kerr played under the two greatest coaches of all time. He was a GM next to MDA. Cassell has followed around Doc Rivers for a decade. Kerr is fine not great. Cassell could surprise me. I don’t control the hire so in the end I hope it works, whoever it is.

20. steddinotayto

First off, thanks for liking me because of Otto Porter. It's rather unfortunate that the admiration has somehow changed because I'm trying to understand your logic/reasoning behind choosing one coaching candidate over another.

Second, I never mentioned anything about Joerger because I, too, like the guy. Search my history if you want. I thought he did a great job at Memphis and got a bad hand in Sacramento.

Lastly, if you want to count Finch's championships in the British Basketball League and the Belgian Basketball League that's fine. Truth be told if Finch was hired as the next Rockets coach I'd be okay with it, even if he has zero NBA head coaching experience because I'm tired of retreads. I'm just confused as to how you can put so much more credibility into on assistant coach over another because one has 1 more year of coaching experience in the NBA and a D-League ring.

treyk3 likes this.