1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Which head coach would you choose?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBum, Sep 29, 2020.

?

Which coach would you choose?

1. Doc Rivers - all time playoffs record 91-89

29 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. JVG - all time playoffs record 44-44

42 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Ty Lue - all time playoffs record 51-31

12 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Mike D’Antoni - all time playoffs record 54-56 losing record

4 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. Sam Cassell

44 vote(s)
    22.4%
  6. Kenny Atkinson

25 vote(s)
    12.8%
  7. Ime Udoka

4 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. Others

36 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. riko

riko Member

Lou to the clippers and doc to philly are almost certainly done according to numerous online rumours so that leaves van Gundy and Cassell as the Rockets real choices. I don’t think more will go for a Wes Unseld jr or Dave Jorger type. It’ll be either Cassell or Gundy and if I was a betting man which thankfully I am not I’ll say it’s probably Gundy

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Becky is my choice. She has coached with one of the best. If Pop values her expertise, then that says a lot.

Deckard likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

I hope to the heavens you are wrong.

4. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I honestly think Atkinson is the best coach available by far. He squeezed so much out of what would have been a terrible Nets team last year. DLo was toxic before and after the Nets only Kenny reined him in. Unfortunately, I don't think he'd vibe too well with Harden but if James is finally sick of losing and ready to try something new, Atkinson can bring a lot of motion to the offense while still maintaining the 3s and layups philosophy.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely not Doc Rivers. People cry about how bad MDA is at making adjustments, they would hate Doc whose strengths are not as a tactician.

6. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

It will come down to the boy Rivers pulling his dad to coach him again. What father would say no to his son? Or does he not want to be around his dad?

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

90%+ that Sam comes in as an associate head coach if Doc is able to be convinced. That is the only way you are going to see Sam on the sidelines as a Rockets coach next year.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Stephen Silas he’s a perfect fit of win now and looking ahead to the future after James and Russ.

treyk3 likes this.
  9. macan

macan Member

i just want us to get a coach with strong defensive mindset.
    our offense won't be a problem. our players have enough talents to score a lot even without any sets to run.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I voted Others.

Tim Duncan is my #1 choice. Cause why tf not?? Should garner immediate respect, if he buys into the 3s and small ball at all, he will still obviously push for size, and we also get to piss off Spurs fans!

saleem likes this.
  11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Sam Cassell, Mark Jackson and Jason Kidd are at the bottom of my list now. I hope to never see Cassell as a coach on this team only thing he has to qualify him is that he played in the 90s for this team.

I'm hoping for basically anyone else.

Joerger is my #1, Finch #2, Atkinson #3, Silas #4. After that it's pretty even from the candidates mentioned.

12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Joerger or Atkinson for me as well. I wouldnt mind JVG but we'd be hoping for quite a bit of progression on his part.

treyk3 likes this.
  13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Silas or Joerger

BeardedWonder and treyk3 like this.
  14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I didn't even see Joerger on Feigen's list sadly.

It was Wes Unseld, Stephen Silas, JVG, Ty Lue (Clippers are his first choice), Doc Rivers (Philly) and Kenny Atkinson. Sam Cassell was mentioned as a possibility too but I hope goes to Philly because he's a development guy and that's it.

Out of those I would prefer Silas or Atkinson. JVG would be interesting because he and Morey would probably both be out together in four years and they could ride out into the sunset away from the clutches of the Rainforest Cafe Rockets.

D-rock, BeardedWonder and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I worry that the misogyny on here will be out of control when the Rockets inevitably hit a bad stretch of games.

D-rock and treyk3 like this.
  16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

It would be great and would allow us to figure out who to place on ignore much easier.

17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can't expect to squeeze blood from a turnip. Our roster needs changing, and small ball is for the birds. We've given up so many draft picks and rookies the past few years to end up back where we started, but worse off for the future. Now a bunch of old stars, with no top picks to look forward to. If she was the coach and we lost some games, putting all the blame on her would probably just be from the chauvinistic pigs.

I still believe she would be a great coach. When you work with a master of any craft for years as their assistant, it means something. Pop was one of the best, and she had his respect. They should interview her. But, for all I know Morey and our cheap owner might be male chauvinists themselves.

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

It actually wasn't about the salary. it was about:

1. the lakers insisted on Rambis being the second in command. Lue felt like Rambis would be the eyes and ears for the front office, and that was too short a leash.

2. his contract was structured to be tied to Lebron's contract. if lebron opts out and leaves, lue is gone. no security.

I don't blame him for passing on that offer. I'm glad he did because we may benefit. Now to your point Tillman still probably can't afford his asking price, but that wasn't the reason he walked from LA.

D-rock likes this.
  19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Doc is the Philly coach now. Will Austin follow him there? I don't know, but he doesn't want to be known as just a coach's son.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Austin was quoted as saying he didn't like playing for his dad. No disrespect but found it uncomfortable. totally understandable.

FWIW I wouldn't count on some Austin S&T to phily for some piece we like from them.

D-rock and saleem like this.