1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Top Pick or Play-in Tourney?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Dec 4, 2021.

?

Which would make you happier to see happen at the end of the season?

1. Rockets get a top 5 pick in the draft

2. Rockets make the play-in tourney

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dmoneybangbang

So we can be like the 2021 Spurs in a few a years or the 8th seed. How underwhelming.

Tuckankhamun, ApacheWarrior and xaos like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

Easy likes this.
  3. NewAge

NewAge Member

The way to build the organization is to erect a Chinese Wall between the Front Office and the gym.
    Front Office should worry about the long-term roster construction, timeline optimization etc.
    The group that’s in the gym has only one goal: win!
    Head Coach’s,job is to win games, and you need to give him the freedom on rotations and system. Player development is helped by Assistant Coaches and Player Development Coaches.
    But everyone who’s in the gym should be thinking about one thing only:winning games. That’s how you build organizational culture.

Then the job of “tanking" or not is up to the Front Office not the players or the Head Coach. Like for example in the current situation EGo is very valuable to the team. But he’s 33. Maybe, find him a home. You make the team weaker, plus maybe you get something valuable in return. This type of tanking I would endorse.

But what we’re seeing is a total dysfunction. The GM is constantly in the gym, butting-in, emasculating the head coach… All kinds of bulshit agendas: Start Jaylen Green Agenda. Play Theis Agenda. Sit Wall Agenda. Maybe Un-Sit Wall Agenda… I don’t like what’s going on.

QuaDouble likes this.
  4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If there's a draft where the top 5 picks are all really good, and that might be the case for this draft, I think the tanking competition is going to be high. Detroit, Orlando, OKC... Rockets may have already lost their chance to be worst in the league. That's fine, so long as it occurs while young players develop. They could still win the lotto at lesser odds.

But I really want to be guaranteed a top 5 pick in this draft lol.

5. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I like the questions, so I'll share thoughts along with others.

Let's say these Rockets exceed expectations. I thought they had potential to be close to worst in the league or a very high ceiling of a 6-7th seed in the offseason.

If they somehow become a 6-8th seed in the west it would mean winning around 40-50 games.

That would be around a 25-30+ game win or win percentage improvement due to shortened seasons, which would potentially be a historical turnaround at the high end. You can view the link to read about the others.

Five best single-season turnarounds in NBA history

If that happens then we would see what happens next season as far as moves, if another disgruntled superstar (there will be another eventually) or a very rare James Harden young superstar in waiting situation happens we would have to trade to get on it.

Chances are they won't and might miss the playoffs with a low draft pick or get bounced as a play in team.

It is what it is and I want the team to succeed and contend long term, I just hope ownership, management and the fans recognize where instant gratification can lead and make moves accordingly.

Make a championship or contention the real goal with a plan.

#85 OkayAyeReloaded, Dec 4, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    Easy likes this.
  6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

[​IMG]

DeBeards, jordnnnn, Reeko and 7 others like this.
  7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Western Conference
    Team..................Losses......Last 10 games

1) Warriors................3..................8-2
    2) Suns......................4...................9-1
    3) Jazz........................7...................7-3
    4) Grizz-....................10..................6-4
    5) Mavs.....................10.................4-6
    6) Clippers.................11................4-6
    7) Nuggets................11.................3-7
    8) Lakers....................12................4-6
    9) T-Wolves................12................7-3
    10) Blazers.................12................
    5-5
    13) Pelicans.................18................5-5

Rockets......................16
    -----------------------

After looking at the standings and seeing how those in front
    of the Rockets are struggling......I find this year as one of the
    best years to put on our big boy pants and go for as much
    Gusto as the Rockets can. Pending further results.

#87 ApacheWarrior, Dec 4, 2021
    DeBeards and coachbadlee like this.
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Idk who u are sourcing but u seem to be intentionally leaving out players to push your bias views.

Y did u limit it to only top 3? Lottery team can grab superstars at 1-14? ( I forget)
    Dwade was a top 5
    Dirk 9th
    Steph 7th

Hell there's kd at number 2, ad at number 1.

Goes to show anyone can post random sht and and move the goal post to pretend that the stats back their stance. Superstars are generally found in the lottery, how franchise utilize them is another story.

If this was to say superstars r very likely 2 leave u to win a ring somewhere else, that's upper management fault. I rather we get a superstar rather than none

#88 DatRocketFan, Dec 4, 2021
    palmsnbananas likes this.
  9. JW86

JW86 Member

Why is this even a discussion? We are not winning anything with this. team, why you want to go through all that only to end up getting spanked in the play-offs harder than Harden? Top 3 pick of course, forget top 5.

palmsnbananas and DatRocketFan like this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Some r satisfied with just making it into the playoffs. Narrow minded folks

11. PatBev

PatBev Member

Porter/Wall
    Mathews/Green
    Gordon/House
    Tate/KJ
    Wood/Sengun

I think could make the playoffs. If we are actually going to compete Green needs to come off the bench. Mathews looks far far far more NBA ready

12. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Not narrowminded, these fools so open-minded they'll believe anything. Short-Sighted is more accurate. The Rockets are their life and they can't bear to watch them lose. They want entertainment and they want it now, instead of focusing on something else for a few years and returning when the Rockets are worth spending money on.

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

i just don't understand how going all in to see if you can win 36 games and get the 10th seed is so entertaining. Are the spurs fans really thinking "thank god we got derozen and instead of being horrible were able to be just bad/mediocre"? If i was a spurs fan, i would be LIVID with what they've been doing, there isn't even an ounce of hope there.

14. BonziWellsGOAT

Lol cmon bro just stop

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

People that are voting play-in tourney over a top pick in the / any draft, are complete morons.

If the Rockets somehow made the play-in, not only would we lose the chance to draft high - they would also get massacred in the playoffs. No top pick and an early exit from the postseason - all to get the 14th pick and rinse/repeat the process. Rockets know all too well about having a mediocre pick and following it up with a mediocre season.

Making the play-in isn't a 'win' like you think it is. We'd have to get past a team with a similar record in the play-in, purely for the right to get fed to Golden State or Phoenix. We might lucky and be good for a game. Maybe 2. But we'd have to beat every team 4 times out of 7. And that's not happening with this team.

Go for Chet.

#95 Juxtaposed Jolt, Dec 4, 2021
  16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Huh didn't even think about it if we made it in.
    Assuming we get 10th, we have 2 play our heart out to win single elimination match just to get butt fked by the warriors or the suns. Like what is the point?

palmsnbananas and Tuckankhamun like this.
  17. Juxtaposed Jolt

I mean, if the postseason consisted of single elimination games, then maybe I'd say play-in tourney, since anything can happen. But you have to be consistently good - something that this team isn't.

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Interesting to see that at least 16 people have voted play-in. I wonder what the ratio would be if this poll was conducted before game 1 of the current win streak.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

the same people who were tired of 2nd round and WCF appearances with Harden now want to desperately end up as 1st round fodder in the future…dudes really talking about trading for Kyrie, Simmons, or Donovan Mitchell…

LOL

Tuckankhamun likes this.
  20. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

This team still needs a top-five pick in the next draft.
    Being patient today will give us better results in the future.