1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Top Pick or Play-in Tourney?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Dec 4, 2021.

?

Which would make you happier to see happen at the end of the season?

1. Rockets get a top 5 pick in the draft

2. Rockets make the play-in tourney

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Tank for the future cause we ain't beating the suns or warriors with walls ****** contract

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You are giving up on Green way, way too soon. He will be the best player on the team in 2 seasons. That's too hefty of a package. No one would say no to that.

xaos likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

lmao if u think crazy Kyrie and Ben freaking Simmons is going all in

Kyrie is a headcase who can’t be trusted, and he’s had issues at Cleveland, Boston, and now with his home town team the Nets

Ben Simmons claims he has mental health issues, and he’s a playoff liability

4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Play to win every game. After all star break/trade deadline you rest veterans that we couldn’t dump b4 trade deadline.

Dobbizzle, groovemachine and aaquaa like this.
  5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Heck no. I think Irving is vastly overrated. Rode Lebron to a ring and hit one shot. Look at what he did in Boston with those young guys. He won't get along and play nice and will probably stunt their development. Ben Simmons at 40 million is a worse contract than John Wall. If we traded for Kyrie and Simmons Tillman would be broke again and be looking for ways to dump salary,

aaquaa likes this.
  6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Yea they were
    Go look it up suns were dead last not all the seasons but were down there

2016-17
    2017-18
    2018-19

3 seasons of being the shttiest western team. Shell-shocked from tanking bs narrative debunk right there

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

same people that hated a top 5 player/MVP in Harden will clamor for the likes of Kyrie, Ben Simmons, and Donovan Mitchell…

LOL, somebody make it make sense.

8. NewAge

NewAge Member

I think Mitchell is special, while Green is still a big unknown. I’m not giving-up on Green, but if you have a chance at Donovan Mitchell you go all-in.

Corrosion likes this.
  9. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

[​IMG]

They actually were, three years in a row from 2016-17 to 2018-19. Second worst in 2015-16.

They're a prime example of tanking working.

jiggyfly, BonziWellsGOAT, Bo6 and 5 others like this.
  10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I view the playin as basically an idiot tax. It’s a way to punish teams for being stupid

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yeah but did they win more than 7 games each of those seasons? Plus they ended up with the GOAT pg CP3 to help them out of their funk.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I love winning games. Right now we are, but we have dug ourselves a huge hole. I also love the idea of getting another top 5 pick, and we are probably set up to pull that off at the moment. Needless to say, I'm conflicted.

This idea out of left field to deal for Simmons and Irving is outright lunacy, with all due respect to the originator.

aaquaa, Easy, xaos and 1 other person like this.
  13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

So? They were still the shttiest team in the west and rose up by tanking to get good players.

Suns r prime example of tanking does work. We can replicate them by following the same process. Abandoning it to just make it into playoffs is stupid. We arent beating the warriors no matter how hot we get

sydmill and xaos like this.
  14. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yep, you are high.
    They are the prime example of non-tanking. Their 2 best players were acquired via a #13 pick after what people here consider a "mediocre" 39-43 season and via a trade. All their suffering netted them: Josh Jackson, Dragan Bender, Kulver and Ayton.
    In other words 3 busts and a #3 option on the team.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If both Irving and Simmons are dialed in they could help any team win. Simmons, for the most part, was being used the wrong way. He should stay strictly at PF. With a PG like Irving he could really flourish. I know this is not a popular opinion but you have to forget about what they're going through now and think about how they could mesh together in a new situation.

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Too much what ifs. We have posters like u btch about harden being a diva, seems pretty foolish to go all in for 2 more bigger divas

Tuckankhamun and coachbadlee like this.
  17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Still before they added CP3 they were exactly like the Rockets are now. Not sure if they had win streaks like we had though. This team now is imo a middle of the pack team. Adding 2 all-stars would definitely help.

18. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

You have a point, those busts are probably the reason the team will fail to win a finals.

The moral of the story isn't "Don't pick high" its "Don't draft busts".

If you think the front office will simply draft bust after bust with top 3 picks, why do you have any confidence they can do anything else correctly, let alone find superstars with picks in the teens?

Reeko, sydmill, harold bingo and 4 others like this.
  19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yeah, Hardhead did get on my nerves but I have to say, if we could get him back with this team without giving up too much I would jump at the chance.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We beat the Bulls, which was nice. We then beat the Hornets who were at the end of a long road trip. We then beat OKC twice and Orlando once, just barely. Both of those teams are competing with us for worst in the league.

I guess what I'm trying to say is people should calm down. We are still a terrible team, and we'll be even worse if we trade EGo at some point. We're going to pick at the top of the draft no matter what. You can want us to compete for the play-in or compete for home court or compete to go undefeated for the rest of the season; it doesn't matter though because it ain't gonna happen.

jiggyfly, Dobbizzle, DeBeards and 8 others like this.