1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] The Higher Ceiling: Mobley or Jabari?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jun 25, 2022.

?

Who has the Higher Ceiling?

1. Jabari Smith Jr

2. Evan Mobley

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MystikArkitect

Above average for his size? Yes. Absolutely. A strength of his in general? No. I think he can do it but that's not really what you want him doing. That's kinda the whole point I think is that Mobley isn't really great at much offensively. He's passable. Again, I'll reiterate that he's a wunderkind defensively. DPOY potential and he's head and shoulders a better defensive player than anyone in last years draft and maybe even this years. But between the two, Jabari is a lot more tailor made to today's game due to his insane shooting ability.

If you offered me Mobley for Jabari today, I would probably say no. Reluctantly I think because part of me thinks its nutty to go with an unproven rookie over an established RotY candidate...but what Jabari brings is something that is critical in todays NBA. Moreso than what Mobley brings.

It depends on what you value really. I'm just in the camp that Mobley is kinda in this weird area where he'll top out as the 3rd best player on a contender due to his limited offensive game. He'll be like slightly better Gobert with a little less bruising and slightly more range.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you think all people his size are terrible at dribbling?

He is above average and it's a strength.

I think the same thing about Smith and I would go Mobley because of everything else he brings.

Sightly better Gobert, that's laughable on its face and frankly makes zero sense.

slightly more range?

Just look at their shot charts and it shows that's crazy to say.

3. Milos

Milos Member

Mobley always reminded me of a KG-ADavis hybrid

Don't see Bari as Timmy though

Duncan was a classic back-to-the-basket post who could also faceup from mid (the last of his kind before they went extinct really)

Bari is more of a super-sized wing that can also faceup from mid

Offensively, Bari's greatest strength was Duncan's biggest weakness, and vice versa

clutchdabear and csnerd84 like this.
  4. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Shooting is a large part of what I had in mind... and that's not a trivial thing. The ability to shoot from distance is a HUGE part of what makes so many elite players today elite. Like how good do you think Curry, Durant, or Kyrie would be if they were below-average 3-pt shooters? Let alone if you're a big man who can make long distance shots off of a dribble or two.

5. BonziWellsGOAT

Yeah I don't think he got the point of your post. Those were extremely basic moves. I didn't see anything "advanced" even for a big

6. StevieCrossover

Mobley had a good rookie season. Jabari is unknown in the nba. He will most likely light up the open 3's.

7. i3artow i3aller

Was expecting way more sauce seeing as it's a strength
    [​IMG]

Boii, BigMaloe, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  8. BonziWellsGOAT

Jabari needs to work on the handle for sure but I can pick out plenty of highlights of dribble drives, dribble pull ups, right to left crosses, etc. Jabaris perimeter skills are more refined than Mobleys

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Now you're bringing up Timmy D? Come on, man. Have you had all this bottled up inside you regarding Mobley for months and just needed the right outlet to uncork it all? I totally understand leaning towards Mobley, even though Smith hasn't played a minute of NBA ball, if that's how someone feels. He had a very good rookie season. What I don't understand is having to wade through post after post after post of you defending the guy. I think you made whatever valid point you were attempting to make several posts back, but that's purely my opinion.

As for myself? I'm not voting in the poll and certainly not attempting to make a comparison between the two until Smith has a lot of NBA games under his belt. Heck, I might wait until the end of the season and then compare Smith's rookie campaign with Mobley's rookie campaign. Apples to apples. That's unless Smith "blows up" and has a ROY season for the ages. Might change my mind if that happens. ;-)

#129 Deckard, Jun 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  10. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

if you read it you would see I didn’t say he’s gonna be Duncan I just said they are rebotic and arnt flashy bigs dunking all over ppl. Snd that Jabari and duncan have lethal midranch jumpers.

Duncan’s the best PF to ever play the game. I don’t think Jabari is going to be that although for the rockets and Houston’s sake I hope so.

it wasn’t an apples apples comparison we’re comparing Mobley and Jabari. I was just talking about how there both good imo and used kg and Duncan as examples seeing as they were often compared to each other as they were the two best PF if their era. but also had different style of play from an eyeball standpoint.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL. Jiggyfly fighting anyone comparing Jabari to any great player. And he claims he understands what comps are about. SMH so touchy. I think the only comp he won't complain is Corey Brewer. Jabari is going to be Brewer 2.0! :D

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Without develo[ping a dribble-drive package he will never be a great player that's the issue, no great wing player has had such a glaring weakness.

You are the touchy one here, feeling some kind of way because people are talking about a huge flaw in his game.

There have been no great players with such a limited skill set.

13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

what can u expect from the poster who truly believe there were only like 5 trolls/bad poster shtting on green last season.

14. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Brewer 3.0. Brewer 2.0 belongs to Jalen

Easy and i3artow i3aller like this.
  15. mightybosstone

I went with Mobley because I think his ceiling as a defender is higher and his offensive skillset a little more varied, especially as a passer.

Thst being said, I think Smith is more likely to reach his ceiling because he's already elite at two key skills (shooting and defensive versatility) that are in such high demand in today's NBA. I could see him averaging 20 a night before Mobley and carving out his defined role earlier.

xaos likes this.
  16. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Dirk most certainly did not have any handles or dribble-drive ability worth speaking of... any time he got to the basket, it was because of the threat of his shot, not vice versa.

Easy likes this.
  17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Has Jabari even had time to buy a house in Houston yet?

Standard ceiling height is 9 feet.

J Sizzle likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Apparently Jabari will need to live Downtown for a few years as right now he cant DRIVE out to the suburbs! :D:D

Rashmon likes this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He can buy a limo and hire a driver.

Rashmon likes this.
  20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

He can also buy cathedral ceiling.

Easy likes this.