1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] The Higher Ceiling: Mobley or Jabari?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jun 25, 2022.

?

Who has the Higher Ceiling?

1. Jabari Smith Jr

2. Evan Mobley

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

no you are just full of it. Neither Mobley nor Smith really took more than 2-3 dribbles while they were in college. We are not talking about playmaking, we are talking about just dribbling.

Even in the NBA Mobley mostly played a lob catcher/cleanup roll around the rim, sure he did face up once in a while, but at no point did he really show he had a "ball handling" package as you say.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You never know if he will turn into a good outside shooter his shot is not broken and many players have developed a good 3-point shot.

How is Mobley mediocre and Smith is not just because of a 3 point shot?

What about him makes you think he will never be a good outside shooter?

3. MystikArkitect

Saying one of Mobley's "strengths" is ball handling/playmaking is an extreme exaggeration. That's one of Banchero's strengths. Hell, I have trouble calling it one of Green's strengths. Mobley can simply pass and dribble without throwing up all over himself.

Mobley's strengths are all defensive related (granted theyre very high) and that's pretty much it. He's average to below average almost everywhere offensively.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is complete bullshit and shows you either don't have a clue or just don't want to admit you are wrong.

You have already been proven wrong with your bullshit about only being a dunker.

5. i3artow i3aller

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No, it's not an exaggeration it was one of his strengths coming out no he is not on the level of Banchero but he is above average at his size.

It's far more than passing and dribbling and not being able to throw up on himself.:rolleyes:

No his strengths are not all defensively he has a very advanced dribble for a guy his size the only thing he is below average at offensively is 3-point shooting.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's like nobody has actually seen him play.

8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

None of the guys you mentioned have a shot chart like Mobley. Mobley took 820 shots last season. Based on your chart, almost 700 were in the paint. And given he shoots an abysmal .25 from 3, you can’t with a straight face tell me he has some large offensive arsenal.

Since you brought him up, this is PJ Tucker’s shot chart, which creates far better spacing than Mobley’s.
    964F5D5D-2D47-435E-9CC8-390955A0B6C1.jpeg

Drift Monkey likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

10. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Two great young bigs.

it’s what kida sizzle you like.

i absolutely love Mobley wanted him over Green last draft.

very happy we have Green now especially with the Jabari pick but still think Mobley is the real deal.

if I had to just do an eye test of their games and I mean this in a very simplistic not great comparison.

Mobley reminds me of a young Kevin Garnett and Jabari is more a tim Duncan type player.

Mobley is going to be more flashy game will look pretty at his peak.

Jabari more robotic like Duncan.

Keep in mind I’m not saying either guy is going to reach Garnett or Duncan status there two of the 5 best PF to ever play the game imo.

I also think KG would have won the same amount of rings had he been in San Antonio instead of Duncan just my opinion.

so in the end I don’t think you can go wrong with either guy. I just think assuming they both turn into superstars or atleast all star level guys Mobley will be more popular because his play will look better on the eyes even if the production and impact is the same as Jabari.

Jabari is interesting but I don’t see many comparing him to Duncan. I think his 12-15 foot jump shot is money like Timmy’s was I do think he has more range and is a better shooter overall.

I don’t think Duncan ever avg more than 22 ppg but one time early in his career I think his 4th season he avg 25ppg. Duncan I don’t think ever avg more than 12 rebounds in a year really hovered around 10.

Not Duncan and KG we’re both great defenders. Mobley I think can be that and will be that. I think Jabari can def be that as well but we’ll see if he’s the paint presence duncan was and kg was.

but offensively I think Jabari has some Duncan in him not gonna be this crazy highflying dunker (although he can jump) but is gonna be rebotic and get u 20/10 on great efficiency for a decade just like TD.

Duncan wasn’t putting the ball on the floor and taking ppl off the dribble and I don’t see that with Jabari. But Jabari does seem to have that get to my spot shoot over you or take a 2 dribbles and pull up which was a staple of Duncan.

maybe I’m wrong prob am but i think it’s an interesting comparison I haven’t seen made.

Milos likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does this have to do with anything?

My post was to refute that all he does is dunk, now we are talking about spacing?

Nobody said he has a large offensive arsenal my point was that he is not just a dunker and that he has a variety of skills offensively.

All paint points are not easy shots those are not all dunks.

Why are you now moving the goalpost?

If we are going by shot charts Mobley has a more diversified game than Smith.

BigMaloe likes this.
  12. i3artow i3aller

Is Mobley’s handle really that much more advanced? I’m less sure of that.

Drift Monkey and BonziWellsGOAT like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Duncan had a better handle and more moves in the paint he was great at the rim.

Duncan did not shoot OVER a lot of people they are nothing alike.

I can't believe we out here comparing Smith to Duncan and Nowitski.

I don't remember a 2 dribble pull-up being a staple of Duncan anyway.

Duncan got his mid range shot off because he was a dribble drive threat and he had far more post moves than Smith.

In case anybody forgot what Duncan's game was like.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

LOL. You keep showing charts that disprove your point. Jabari has red all over the court. Mobley has no red. It really makes everybody else’s point.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  15. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I wouldn't necessarily bet big money on Jabari becoming the better player just yet since Mobley has already proven himself in the NBA, and that's huge... but in terms of the higher ceiling? To me that seems to pretty clearly be Jabari. On paper, I think there are more strengths in his game that are relevant to modern basketball, just a matter of seeing how it pans out in the NBA.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes, it is and it's not really debatable.

You can just look at their highlights from College and see.

Smith rarely dribbled more than 3 times and did not play make off the dribble while you can see Mobley doing much more.

Have you seen Smith do anything like what you posted?

17. MystikArkitect

Jabari can pass too.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wut?

Jabari has zero red in the lane and one tiny red near the basket.

Ok, I see you are not even trying to be realistic anymore.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who said he could not?

That's a 2-hour video, not a great one to prove a point.

You want to tell us where we should be looking?

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The only thing that Smith is better at is 3 point shooting what else does he do that Mobley cannot or is better at?

If Mobley starts shooting at 38% how is Smith's ceiling higher?