1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] The Higher Ceiling: Mobley or Jabari?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Jun 25, 2022.

?

Who has the Higher Ceiling?

1. Jabari Smith Jr

2. Evan Mobley

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TimDuncanDonaut

It's weird that Mobley was singled out as a comp even though Barnes ended up ROTY. Everyone seems ok that Scottie is not a dead eye shooter.

As far as Mobley, there's stuff in his bag, some don't necessary bring them out as often. It's like a programmer can code in Perl and C#, but if work requires Javascript and Python, then you do what the team wants.

Mobley for example has a hook shot (both hands) and a middy. There's a Mobley thread in the dish, that shows some of it. But if the layup is better, you go with the sure thing. Am a fan of Tatum/Brown, but those guys notoriously go for the pretty shot / Kobe fade instead of the higher %. Green said in one of his interviews, he has some other moves/shot in his bag, he just hasn't bought it out yet.

The below means very little since it's the All-Star weekend. But remember when people were shocked that Evan could actually shoot under the bright lights.

I bring it up because you have Evan with other Rookies in the same environment doing the same challenges. There's no coach or different team system to blame it on. Everyone is taking the same test.

Them Cav boys took care of Rooks team (Cade/Giddy/Barnes) & Greek brothers.

Mobley and Giddy pairing, they had to make a logo shot. You know Giddy isn't hitting his.

Mobley is going to be great. I'm also VERY happy we have Jabari. Both guys will be just fine.

#81 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    Dr of Dunk likes this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

All of that is still jump shooting.

Banchero and Holmgren also played with guys who were mostly in the paint and Kessler played out far more than the guys who played those guys.

Players improve on FT% and 3 point percentage all the time just because you doubt it does not make it so and that still does not address everything else he does offensively.

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Spot on (I do like Cade to be fair). Mobley is probably Marcus Camby at best. Green can do a lot. His upside is crazy. How quickly he adjusted to the game shows a impressive basketball aptitude. Sky is the limit. I see a lot of Vince Carter in him

Drift Monkey likes this.
  4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Name one player who shot around .65 FT% and .25 from 3 who ended up shooting either at a reasonable clip. It just doesn’t happen.

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Not a big research guy, but Jason Kidd comes to mind. Don’t remember if he was a good ft shooter, but sucked at 3pt shooting most of his career. Your point is well-taken though. I think it’s pretty rare.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

what dribble package. everything you say is an exaggeration. especially given that Mobley had a year in the NBA already. He dribbled about as much as Smith in college, which isn't all that much.

Drift Monkey and BonziWellsGOAT like this.
  7. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I don’t even really get the premise of comparing these two. Is the idea that if we had Mobley we would have won more and not gotten the third pick? That’s hard to know.

Seems like the better question is right now would you rather have Mobley/Sengun/Ivey as your core or Jalen/Sengun/Jabari.

8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Consciously objecting to these horseshit speculation threads. Jabari hasn’t stepped on an NBA floor.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't think we were drafting Ivey no matter if Mobley on the team or not. I think it was a given that Stone was taking whoever left of the big 3 regardless.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

off the top of my head Jason Kidd.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/kiddja01.html

His shot is not broken so it stands to reason they would improve and I have no idea why you are focusing in this in particular when he has so much else offensively or do you think he is only a dunker?

This is his shot chart and he shot above league average out to the free-throw line and in certain spots from 3.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/evan-mobley-shot-chart-this-season

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is just BS he dribbled far more than Smith in college one of his strengths was playmaking and ball handling.

It's obvious you don't know what you are talking about there was a reason why people kept calling him a big wing.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Am I reading this chart wrong. He was average or below average from virtually everywhere but inside the 3 pt line at one station on the court. Seems like you made my point for me.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

LOL. You think that shot graph proves your point? It shows he’s extremely limited.

Yes, Mobley is primarily an at-rim/in-the-paint scorer at the moment. Maybe that’ll change, but I doubt it. Like I said, guys who shoot significantly under .7 from the line very rarely develop a shot.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I have not read a single post in this thread
    but
    I know I am repeating saying . . .. "Their Ceiling is thru the Roof."

Rocket Rive

Drift Monkey likes this.
  15. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Mobley is a nice player and he is a elite shot blocker and moves very well for a big man when guarding opponents. Smith is is elite defensive player when guarding 1-5. There is not many players who can guard 1-5 except Simmons for Brooklyn. Draymont Green and Marcus Smart is close but Green is to slow for guards and Smart does not have enough length for big men. Maybe Bam Adebayo can guard 1-5. Anyway,

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Just click on the dot and it will say what the averages were.

Everything in the lane was above average and he shot above average at multiple places above the arc.

How can your point be made when you said all he did was dunk?

He rarely shot mid-range but not all of the shots were not at the basket either.

Are you know trying to change your point?

Why are you ignoring that I did find somebody who did what you said could not be done?

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You got the wrong guy, I’m not the one that said he could only dunk. My point that he will probably never be a good outside shooter or good ft shooter. This chart pretty much says he is mediocre on the offensive side of the ball and I personally don’t think he will get much better. But you never know, maybe, he’s Durant the second. In reality, I don’t really care about Mobley.

Drift Monkey and BonziWellsGOAT like this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Because of this I think Smith has a higher potential.

All-time great players are offensive players first.

It's kind of hard to imagine Mobley as even the 2nd go-to guy on a team.

Jabari could become the first option on a team.

I mean Mobley's offense could get there if he shoots but...many guys never learn to shoot, despite putting in a tremendous amount of work. Westbrook is a great example of this and he's a guard.

That Jabari is going to be (or supposed to be) a knockdown sniper from range is a HUGE advantage, that's why he should have went #1.

Drift Monkey and Easy like this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah, it did prove my point, my point was that he is far more than a dunker.

Just because you keep saying that does not make it true.

PJ Tucker did it

Bruce Bowen did it.

Bobby Portis

I can probably find a lot more.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lol. Pulling out the programming analogies. This dude rocks. :D

Deckard likes this.