1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Should I get a dog?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by swilkins, Jan 15, 2009.

Tags:
?

Should I get a dog?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    48.3%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    51.7%
  1. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Again,

Pet Foster Homes.

You can get a pet for a while and if you two don't fit, you can send him back.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I second this. :eek: I along with my family have 2 felines who hang out together at the house, they find their own litterbox, bathe themselves, walk, feed, and strut themselves, and basically ignore the iSht out of us humans.

SwoLy: "Get off that recliner! I gotta watch football! :mad:"
    Cat: " :eek: "
    "I said get off my recliner!"
    " :eek: "
    "Fine, then... uh, STAY ON THAT RECLINER!"
    [the cat leaves :D]

This is good for a while.

Also, if you don't have enough time to be around a dog, don't get one and then ignore his poor *ss. :cool:

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Most definitely get a dog. For me it was the single best thing I had done up to that point. Everyone will leave you, but a dog won't.

4. Egghead

Egghead Member

don't get a big dog cause its your 1st time owning one. I would recommend a dog less than 20 pounds.

5. Egghead

Egghead Member

6. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

If you have to ask us... no.

If the chick has a dog... just get to know hers.

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Signed,

- Everyone whose dog has ever run away...

8. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

No............ :(

9. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

Big dogs take big sh**s. Get something medium sized or small. Dachshunds are some of the most lovable dogs you can get and chicks dig them. I have a beagle and they are kind of a smaller way of having a retriever in my opinion. Not to small, not to big, but they will still play fetch with you.

10. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

My dog, Taffy, was awesome. I had him from age 8 to age 21. We did a lot of stuff together. He was always loving and excitable. It was so hard watching him deteriorate and not be able to play like he used to. But that's life I guess.

Dogs bring a lot of joy.

If I ever own a decent piece of land, the first thing I would do is buy a pig. Pigs are some of the most loving and loyal animals, and are more intelligent than dogs or cats. Not trying to make a slight against dogs, I love them, but pigs never get any respeck.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'd second this motion, but also add a little bit of caution. On the plus side, as a foster, you aren't 100% committed to having the dog forever, but you are getting used to the idea of having a dog, what you're daily routine will be, etc. Plus, if you work with a good rescue group, you can get a lot of knowledge from them about dogs in general, specific breeds, etc.

The caution would be to make sure you know exactly what additional responsibilities might be expected of you as a foster - i.e. bringing the dog on a Saturday to an adoption event, meeting with a potential adopter to see if it is a good fit, etc. Rescue groups always need additional fosters, but it is also a little annoying when the foster isn't putting a lot of effort into helping get the dog adopted and simultaneously isn't putting a lot of effort into making it 100% their dog forever. Sometimes dogs can get the sense that they are really at a weekly stay hotel and not their "home".

except that's usually the owner running away on the dog. Dogs do have unique innate sensibilities about them, but we're still talking about dogs here, not Albert Einstein. If your 3 year old wandered off it would probably not be able to find its way back either. Good fencing, proper collars, tags and microchips, understanding how to use a leash, how your dog reacts around other dogs, your dogs tendency to dig, if your dog is likely to run out the front door if accidentally left open, who you can trust to watch your pets when your out, etc. Most of that is really basic 101 type stuff. Not that the best of owners can't still have occasional accidents where their dogs get away, but if there is one trait about dogs that never ceases to amaze me, it's their loyalty - it's something i wouldn't question.

12. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Until I got my first dog (when I was about 24-25), I never realized you could love an animal so much. Long story short, I broke up with my ex and she kept both of the dogs. I didn't complain because I know they're much better off with her. She has more time, a big yard and animal experience. I'd be lying if I didn't say that the dogs are the ONLY thing I miss from that relationship. Anyway, we were a part of an organization that would adopt these dogs when they were taken in from puppy mills and bad owners and take care of them until someone came along to take them in for good. The organization was IGCA. Here is a link to some of the ones available in Texas right now:

Italian Greyhounds in Texas

These dogs get about 10-15 pounds and have very short hair (2 of my favorite aspects), and because they're small, you have less to clean up :D Here are some random pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you don't have a yard then I wouldn't suggest you get one of these, they love to run (obviously). Good luck with your search!

Pugs

13. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Then I apologize.

I guess I missed your point.

Thanks for some of the comments from those who truly love their pet and are willing to share their experience. That is where I was aiming.

I try not to miss out on an opportunity to experience life in a new and different way.

Thanks

#33 swilkins, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  14. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You totally missed what she was saying to you....

DOG - Danish Oral Gift.... It's kinda like a Dirty Sanchez.

15. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Just get a topless maid.

16. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

ding ding ding ding!!!

we have a winner!

17. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

18. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

My nieghbor has two of these. They are well mannered and easy enough to train. The short hair is a big plus.

Only con: They bark. Not psychotically like a basset hound or anything, but they ain't quiet either.

19. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

i have two maltese. they're really cute which why my family never gets tired of them. they dont shed but that means ur gonna have to cut their hair. indoor dog, easy to train, and overall pretty easy to take care of.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member