1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Optimal Season Length

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DonatelloLimestone, May 9, 2021.

?

Optimal Nba Season Length

1. 82 games

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. 72

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. 60 games

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
  1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe not completely random brackets. You can use last season's results to do the seeding.

Teams eliminated in the first round get the same odds for the lottery.

2. DonatelloLimestone

out of box thinking, but I find that exciting. I don't think it will ever be considered, but that would make it so hype to choose the best 3 , maybe even go hal court and watch the buckets pile up for an extra long game.

clos4life likes this.
  3. DonatelloLimestone

I could see this being used for their discussed Euro Style mid season tournaments, maybe march madness style. Include that in the number of total season games to cut it out and make it far more interesting.

IT will never be the larry o brien trophy in prestige, but they can get a fat sponsor for a lot of incentives, and it will pick up as a very nice prize and break in monotony of the marathon of an 82 game season.

The all star weekend needs reform, desperately when the 3pt contest and skills challenge are the only ones worth watching or have a competitive excitement to them, the slam dunk is a hit or miss ,the scoring is terrible.

Easy likes this.
  4. clos4life

clos4life Member

The more basketball the better for me. 82, no less than 76. Up to professionals to be able to keep up with the grueling schedule, they are well compensated.

5. DonatelloLimestone

there is no doubt they are, and many players are not in favor of less games because of that compensation changing too, likewise with owner.

I'm talking about the fan expereince. Its like NFL, way less quantity, but up the prep, importance, hype of each and every game. Right now in the regular season, they don't have even have time for planning strategies or significant game plan changes. They usually fly out right after to a new city and its on to the next one on and on and on. ITs worked fine, but why not progress it. There are so many empty games, meaningless games, more teams including reputable ones like spurs are load managing and its not thtat they cant, but now its not about surviving through it, its about thriving through it. back then when you are 30, you are over the hill and almost done. That narrative is changing, with nash who was also big on rest, nutrition and evolving his situation, with kobe, with lebron and more and more are just tinkering to learn more about how to sustain it. Steph at 33 is looking good. Russ seems to find the fountain of youth mid season, hes 32/33.

This is good if the elite players play more,then the other matter is after 82 they are a bit run down with less legs for the playoffs. Back in the day they used to smoke in the locker room and eat cheese burgers before games, doesn't mean players today should do it. I want hte best fan experience, teh hhighest quality not a run of the mill game where some nights they are on and off. The athleticism has also grown as has skill. I want more meaningful games, that means playoffs, that values play ins, maybe a mid season tournament, but none of these empty back to backs and grind it out type of schedules. I mean rockets we could not even watch the rest of the season and we wouldnt notice. Quality over quantity for me. They are compensated well, but they simply get there share of the market with their 50/50 revenue share of what they generate from not just tickets, but overall revenue and tv money is just growing. Ratings took a dip but it was an odd year but i wonder if heightening the improtance of the games will help that and you can balance the revenue.

the play in should be a boost. Its not perfect, but it gives nba a taste of the march madness and I like the progressive mentality of Silver to be able to ask questions of the status quo.

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I think 60 games is a good balance. You need plenty of games to build chemistry. But you don’t want so many that the regular season games are meaningless for several months.

10-12 games a month. Also protects players bodies against the wear and tear of 22 additional games per season.

HOWEVER, I’m a bit of a traditionalist. And alllllll the nba greats since ‘67 played 82 game regular seasons. It’s hard for me to truly and objectively compare today’s players to older generations because of rule changes benefiting the offensive players.

I would also like to see 3 or 5 game playoff series. Maybe 7 game finals.

ashleyem likes this.