1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Move KPj to Sixth Man Role

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Mar 15, 2022.

?

Should KPj move to a sixth man role?

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. Depends on the PGs we have on the roster

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think we should only start Green, that way he gets enough touches.

Bring everyone off the bench, to give him a breather, then Green plays the entire 4th quarter by himself.

2. alethios

alethios Member

Incredibly insightful take - deserves its own thread.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure there's already about 30 threads created pushing that very idea.

4. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Looking at KPJ history. It won't end well if he's not starting.

topfive and javal_lon like this.
  5. PatBev

PatBev Member

I’m a fanboy of KPJ but I agree. I’m not asking for Cp3 like most on here, but if he doesn’t show improvement in both being a point guard & a leader co leader of this team, he either has to happily accept moving to the 3 or not be on the team

I think moving him to 6th man might start some ****

jcmoon, burlesk and vator like this.
  6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

It'll never happen as long as he has those 20/7 games every 8th game

vator likes this.
  7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

no sense to change anything right now. he has a fragile ego and we would lose all value for him assuming he takes it the wrong way.

but yes there should be an open competition for PG next season. I do see KPJ's best role being a 6th man in this league. Whether he accepts that or not will be the question whether he sticks around 7-10 years vs 3-5.

8. varughese.arun

This has been apparent since day 1. KPJ aint the one.

9. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

KPJ is a very good player, the experiment has shown he's likely never going to be more than average as a starting point guard. The obvious path seems to be let him go to restricted fa and match if it's a team friendly deal. He can continue to start at pg until a legit starting pg is found, but he is a 6th man on a playoff caliber team. That's not a knock on him, just the right match for his skill set.

10. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Green vs. Everybody ... Let's GOOOO!!!!! :D

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  11. BonziWellsGOAT

You're the human embodiment of a strawman argument

don grahamleone and topfive like this.
  12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KPjr is a starter in this League. Period. Whether it's out top, off the wing, at the two...Folks are forgetting his talent, 1st year PG/playing out of position, and how young he is. Way too many have made this a KPjr vs. JG thing, and in the process lost all perspective.

DaDakota, PatBev, topfive and 2 others like this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

One thing I know for sure: If we decide KPJ isn't our starting PG, we need to move him to another team. I don't get the impression he'd relish the demotion, and the last things we need on this young team are strife and bad attitudes.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Kpj - when on , does a lot .

right now , there’s no one currently on the roster I think should eat his mins . Next year , that might change

contenders : our first rounder next year (really either one especially if we trade up), Josh Christopher , Tate (I know y’all think I’m crazy on that one ) , maybe nix ... idk , he look OK , but nix has to get in WAY better shape to try and keep up with opposing PG’s for a whole game .

it depends what y’all are talking about when you say PG .

the traditional pg on offense is one suggestion , another interpretation could be the spear of the defense .

But unless you are CP3 or harden , you aren’t getting tasked with the offensive motherlode . All teams like to have multiple playmakers and don’t want to rely on one guy .

so this designation of “finding a PG” is a bit outdated or simplistic . You do need playmakers you can get the ball to when it’s stagnant and they make plays for themselves or others . You also need a whole team of guys that can make decisions and keep the offense flowing .

Kpj is fine as a playmaking guard . But he shouldn’t have sole responsibility. Green looks like he can be pretty good too , at least at making plays for himself . And he’s shown an ok ability to read Defenses .

So it’s a good 1-2 combo . But , many things could happen . Green could get so good that you want a “1” next to him that focuses more on D . He could develop a different way too .

Kpj can play . A move is not necessary. But depending on what happens , wouldn’t be the worst thing . I’d hope he’d accept it and the team would be better off for it

15. vator

vator Contributing Member

Name names. Who are these people making it a JG vs. KPJ issue
    rather than just an evaluation of KPJ? I keep seeing that being posted, but where are the actual people saying this? Let’s call them out.

The people saying this are the people defending KPJ and nobody is ever quoted. Seems “strawmanish”

16. jacoby

jacoby Member

If the KPJ we see today is the KPJ we're going to see next year I'm on board with bringing him off the bench. Manu and Tyler Herro are comparable 2-guards that came/come off the bench and they still got their 30-33 MPG. I don't think giving a score-first, ball-dominant player like Porter PG duties are bringing the best out of his teammates on the court. He's had a solid year for us but hasn't shown a consistent ability to get other guys easy looks within the flow of the offense. I think one of Silas's biggest failures this year is not giving Jalen, Josh, and Alperen enough time together on the court. I'd like to see what we have there.

I just worry that management/coaching will be afraid to step on KPJ's toes if they ultimately decide he's better as a 6th man. He isn't good enough to earn that privilege yet. But if Tyler Herro, a much better player can do it, then so can KPJ.

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Go to any GREEN thread and see who is talking about KPJ - you can see right there.

KPJ didn't pass the ball to Green, KPJ taking too many shots ahead of Green......it is there.....and obvious.

DD

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. vator

vator Contributing Member

I don’t have a photographic memory. I used to like to think that I did. You remember that old game where you would flip something over and then try to find a match by flipping something else over and If you were wrong, you had to turn everything back face down haha. That’s what you’re asking me to figure out across multiple threads.

Who are these Jalen Green only fans that you and BTG keep talking about? I don’t see people in the KPJ threads saying anything about JG for the most part. When JG is brought up, it is usually people defending KPJ against the “Green only fans” who haven’t said anything about Green at all. It’s confusing to me because I don’t know who y’all are talking about. I just want to help you guys bring these people to justice lol.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

There's no such real world example of the ideal player when it comes to point guards for me. Great shooting, great passing, tall, long armed, defensive menaces don't exist. That being said, there's no need for ideal. There's only the need of "fit". I think we need KPj to become a defensive menace and a guy that gets our offense going with passing. So far he's spending too much energy on trying to be a great scorer and he's forgetting to get back on defense. I would like to see him focus on being smart with the ball and smart with his court awareness. Let fundamentals drive his creativity. That's my 2 cents.

He's fun though. A lot of fun when he's got it going, but we need dependability at some point if we're trying to win 50 games and reach the playoffs with a shot at it. EVERYTHING... should revolve around developing champion qualities for players we intend to keep that long. So I'd want him to take a step backwards on calling his own shots. Be the hero late in the shot clock if need be, but before that swing the ball to the open man or get it to a playmaker.

Basically, time to dial it down. He's currently building himself into a James Harden type and we need Gary Payton.

What about you?