1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Grade Stone's 2nd draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Jun 23, 2022.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Anybody who doesn't give the Rox an A+++/A (ok tough crowd) is just dumb.

Rox are one of the biggest winners of this year's draft and crushed it for the 2nd time in a row. I think it is extremely underrated they didn't trade up and still got all their guys.

Jabari at 3: Everybody knows what Jabari brings, no need to rehash. It's better to be lucky than good is all I gotta say.

Eason at 17: Massive ty to OKC, they really shook up the draft and we ended up with Eason at 17. Remember lots of guys were saying is a sure lotto pick and will be gone 8-12. I think Eason is one of the most intriguing players in this draft his floor is a standard 3nD but what if? What if he is Kawhi 2.0? His measurements are a dead ringer for Kawhi and he got long ass arms and big ass hands just like Kawhi. He is tall and athletic just like Kawhi and despite his large hands his shot is money just like Kawhi. We'll see but I am intrigued.

Tyty Washington at 29: One of the best steals in the draft. I'm not a fan of Tyty at all, but if you told me he was there at 26 I'd be like ok thats good value. Syke! Stone da Gawd got him at 29+ added 2 SRPs. I mean lots of mocks had him at 17 for crying out loud, Rox got 2 srps to take him at 29. How crazy is that?

OKC and Detroit owned this draft too but I think Rox are as big of a winner as those teams.

Also watch out for Mavs who sneakily took Jaden Hardy in the 2nd round and Miami who took Jovic late in the first. Those 2 contenders just got lotto level talent.

Madmanmetz, BigMaloe, jcmoon and 7 others like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's not that last minute bro cuz the odds changed yesterday.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dunno about Curry but he is our Klay for sure. Klay is the difference between play in and championship for GSW lol so that's still pretty damn good.

4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Spectacular draft again. And he (kinda) salvaged the Christian Wood trade too. Now he needs to clean up the roster and hopefully convince his coaching staff to, I don’t know, maybe coach a little, and we’ll see what happens. To be fair, Silas really has been baby sitting. It’s time to see some growth.

Milos likes this.
  5. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Its last min when the guy you picking didn't even know until the pick was in o_O if he know he had a chance to go #1 i bet you paolo would had showed up to work outs.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Players don't know where they are going most of the time did Jaden hardy knew he was gonna be in the 2nd round?

Just cuz Paolo didn't know till 30 secs before pick is in doesn't mean Orlando didn't decide on him much earlier. My guess is when the odds changed that's when Orl made up their mind to take Banchero.

7. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Yeah he doesn't look good to me, can't defend 1s can't defend 5s, not gonna work
    I'm sure he could start on a bad team but I don't see him starting on a great team
    Who knows I guess we will see

Milos likes this.
  8. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I hate Tilman but Stone killed this one.

smoothie likes this.
  9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I was under the impression Paolo only pushed the workout with Orlando back because Orlando made it very clear they were committed to Jabari Smith, or at least made it clear that Paolo was 3rd on their list. So whatever Orlando was hoping to achieve seems a bit pointless since the only thing they got out of it was drafting a player that they couldn't evaluate on their own terms.

10. ball king23

ball king23 Member

Stone been hitting home runs since he got here so I am glad he gets an A+ for me for last 2 drafts

jcmoon likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Paolo has been under the microscope since high school I don't know how much a workout is worth since they got so much tape on him already including his deep F4 run which Chet and Jabari don't have.

Everybody knows what he can and can't do at this point. Personally I think Banchero gonna justify that no 1 pick and be the ROY. Jabari is prob gonna put the least amount of stats between the 3 but that's fine with me cuz we got him for winning not for stat production.

jcmoon likes this.
  12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I'm still stunned that Jabari slid to #3. I really spent less time on him because I just figured he wouldn't be there.

Paolo seemed shocked and maybe a little disappointed. Jabari seemed a little pissed and hopefully he carries that chip all the way to ROY.

Jabari is perfect addition to Green, Sengun and KPJ. Now what could be the missing piece? How about the best and most disruptive wing defender available--Tari Eason! I really liked Jalen Williams, but he was gone and Tari just has that dawg mentality, size and ability we desperately need.

TyTy gives us additional competition at PG, would have preferred a rim protector, but he was likely BPA. Getting extra 2nds was smart.

Best thing is we stayed put with 3/17 and essentially got really fantastic value with those picks. Well played Stone.

I might have bit on Jovic at 26, but like the value Stone extracted with the trade.

Solid A-A+. Can't wait for summer league and season to start.

BigMaloe, jcmoon, slothy420 and 7 others like this.
  13. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

As far as drafting, A+

In general, I would've liked to see EG/Tate/KJ moved, but in the end We got our guys without needing to spend assets.

The next part of the offseason needs to be focused on making room for the youngsters, getting a back up C, and rounding out the coaching staff with renowned assistants.

But the young talent on the team should get any Rockets fan excited...In two years Stone got us an amazing mix of high character hard working youngsters who can score, pass, defend and play with force. The next and perhaps the most difficult task is molding those guys into a successfull team.

Milos and palmsnbananas like this.
  14. DreamR

DreamR Member

With the grade Stone got he needs to be preparing to give his valedictorian speech tomorrow

jcmoon and palmsnbananas like this.
  15. clos4life

clos4life Member

Anything less than an A at this point would be ridiculous, don't care if anyone wants to give it a + or a -, but it definitely is an A.

BamBam likes this.
  16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Another exceptional draft, I think. Jabari was my #2 so that's cool. Eason has physical skills and drive, needs more basketball skills and game knowledge, but he's a good bet to keep improving. TyTy fell into our laps giving us two frontcourt picks and one backcourt pick, which are good numbers to add to the existing team. I'm all for throwing minutes at these three, Green, Sengun, JC, Garuba, Nix, and KPJ, along with resigning Bruno (or another found center) to see where we are by the end of next season. Everyone else needs to go, though I'd be OK keeping Gordon as a steadying force on limited minutes.

What I want most wasn't going to be available tonight and that's a team identity. Whether Silas can create and sustain that is the big question after the job Stone has done with the draft over the last 12 months.

palmsnbananas likes this.
  17. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It looks like a lot of this stuff is just gamesmanship among the top selecting teams.

18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Throw In Mo Bamba with the MLE and you might have your perfect offseason.

jcmoon, Shark44 and Milos like this.
  19. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

upload_2022-6-23_22-20-20.jpeg

red5rocket and BelgianRocketsFan like this.
  20. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I’m to the point I look forward to @steddinotayto stunners in June as much as I look forward to Santa Henry in December

upload_2022-6-23_22-22-35.gif