1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Grade Stone’s first draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Jul 29, 2021.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

People log on to Clutchfans just to be weird.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Taking Green over Mobley is certainly not helping his grade here...

blue_eyed_devil and D-rock like this.
  4. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Nice hindsight. He hit in Sengun and a player nobody thought would even be playing this year in Christopher. Almost every mock draft predicted Green going 2nd and some even 1st. At the time the pick wasn't a bad one.

courtsidedreams and Corrosion like this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It took you this long to figure that out?

;-)

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The draft is all hindsight. What's your point?

I wanted Green with the pick too. I'm happy to admit I was very wrong. Just because "mock drafts had him going 2" doesn't mean the pick is immune from criticism now.

Sengun was a definite hit even though he's come back down to earth, Christopher looks like a keeper, but Green over Mobley is looking like a huge misstep. I hope I'm wrong but clearly Stone (and a lot of others) misjudged Mobley.

#246 J Sizzle, Jan 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I should have only given out one Stone Cold Stunner .gif at the time. Sengun was a steal while the others are still a work in progress. I apologize to my CF brothers for my overuse of gifs.

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Predicting what someone will do isn't the same as saying they should do it.

I predicted that the Rockets would pick Green even though that was obviously the wrong choice.

I knew that they'd pick flash and perceived marketability over substance and that's exactly what they did.

So that's what we have, "heritage days" and occasional flashy dunks rather than a quality palyer.

At the time, the pick was a bad one, looking back, it was a terrible one as Green is currently the worst player in his entire rookie class getting more than spot minutes in the NBA.

It's possible one day he'll learn how to play basketball and the draft will look a bit better, but for now it's pretty embarrassing. The Sengun and Christopher picks are the only saving graces.

blue_eyed_devil likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I'll grade on my own terms and a Diamond should he come along.....

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Trying to grade any draft in the same season is a foolish endeavor IMO.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I agree it’s too early to grade, but there are like 9 or 10 guys who were drafted that look better than our draft picks right now. That’s not to say our guys won’t blossom with hard work and coaching, but right now Stone’s first draft is a miss. If we don’t come away with at least 1 top ten rookie it’s a disaster. We’ll see, but even a team like Orlando who missed on Suggs (still could be good) scooped up stud rookie Franz Wagner.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

13. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Mobley/Ivey or Green/Banchero.... you decide!

14. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Had we taken Mobley, we might not be in a position to take Ivey this year. We wouldn’t have signed Theis and may have ended up signing a better fit that helped us win a few more games. Then the lottery very likely ends up even less in our favor. That small bit of initial success could have really set the franchise back.

I like the way it’s heading right now. It’s looking much better than it did at the last thread bump.

15. TimDuncanDonaut

While I follow the logic, not sure I'm comfortable with the reasonings.

With last year's #2 Stone technically passed up on the two top voted ROTY. Was a two man race; Cade and Green weren't close in the final votes tally. The good news is top draft was deep, only one guy could win ROTY, so GMs still win with Cade and Green. Pistons and Rockets don't regret anything. The race is long, but as far as first year report card goes, it is what it is.

The scoring archetype getting projected to be a ROTY candidate was given to Green last year, but the scouts were wrong. Now it's given to Paolo. Despite this year's voters actually looked at defense and efficiency... and maybe unfairly citing w/L as a reason. I roll my eye when I hear ESPN guys predicting next year ROTY before any NBA games (or even summer games) are played.

You always want players, who can help you win games. Last year's, Rockets players tried to win games, but we stunk. Outside of last few games where some of the vets sat, Rockets playerd to win we just weren't good enough. #organic_tanking

Do you think Cavs fans rather a chance at playoffs next year or still be in the lottery right now. They are not a complete team but as far as rebuild, 3/5 pieces are already set: Garland, Mobley and Allen. Only 1/5 is set for us (Green), and a bunch of maybes including Paolo (he hasn't set foot in the NBA yet).

Cavs also have an identity, so at least they know their weakness and trying to see what could be plugged. Our team's identity offensively (27th) and defensively (30th), are not set at all. We're still in BPA mode. One maybe: Paolo may force us to reset another maybe: Sengun. Other maybes: KPJ is a question mark. KMJ might leave, and Tate could be just a stop gap.

Cavs gave extension to their GM and coach because the direction is clear. While we Rocker fans keep saying Silas might not be here for the full rebuild. Next year could be his do or die.

Speaking of stability: where are our new assistant coaches???

As fast as free agent options, Pistons cleared the cap saying bye bye to Jerami Grant. So they're in the buyer's market already. We still gotta wait one more year until Wall is gone.

Going into high lottery is a consolation, should never be a goal. We need keep climbing out of the gutter. It might be "a long painful rebuild."

#255 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2022