1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Do you think AJ Griffin is good at basketball?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Williamson, Jul 16, 2024.

?

Do you think AJ Griffin is good at basketball?

1. No. There is a reason the god awful Hawks didn't want him.

92 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. Yes. And he is right that good Christians shouldn't go to Beyonce concerts.

36 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, I'm not sure you can use Summer League to determine aggressiveness/black holeness for a lot of players. I'm saying that because people like Nate Williams and Griffin were probably told to be aggressive as if they were more the point of the offense. I think Jackson even said he wanted Griffin to be aggressive with the shot (I may be mis-remembering). So what you're seeing may not be what would happen in the regular season. They're just trying to put these guys in situations where they can show off their skills either for the Rockets or for other teams if they're not in the Rockets' future is my guess. I've never seen Nate go bananas with his aggressiveness like in this last game. It's one of the few times I've seen him look bad, tbh. I think they're also trying to get Reed and Griffin to maybe be a bit more aggressive. Cam... well, he's Cam... lol.

To me, and in a Summer League game, AJ needs to prove his shot is still there and he can play defense. His defense here and there looked ok, I guess, but a lot of times he looked kind of lost. What's worse to me is that he looked like he had never attempted to score a bucket in his life on most plays. Maybe a result of the multiple injuries, maybe he's still recovering, or maybe that's just who he is now.

Corrosion likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

he looks horrible

Hawks had him on the clearance rack for a reason

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's funny a lot of people are trashing AJ Griffin when he is 20 the same age as Cam Whitmore.

AJ had a decent college season where he shot 45% from 3 on 4 attempts for Duke. However even in college he has been dealing with injuries including some knee problems. In the NBA, he had a solid rookie season where he shot 39% from 3 but in 2nd year those health injuries hit him hard and he also went religious crazy so as a result he fell off the rotation.

In SL so far he looks rusty AF. As I said though he is the same age as Whitmore so there's enough time for him to turn it all around. He actually shot well last game he shot 53% from the field and 2/3 from 3 for 18 pts/ 5 rebs. He looks like he grew an inch or so from Duke days, he looks legit 6'6 and can play either wing spot. The court vision is pretty bad but he has been trying on defense these past 3 games.

Him being bad is actually good news as the Rox would be able to extend him for cheap. Having a 3nD on a cheap contract is always good.

Stephen_A and don grahamleone like this.
  4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

For $3mil on a team friendly contract, he's fine. Let him run with the team and see how he improves but barring DRAMATIC improvements, he is either trade salary fodder or gone with the next Club option. He hasn't impressed so far in Summer League but he seems like a talented kid - give him a year with Udoka, apparently FVV is close with him and let's see if we can get him out of his funk. It's low risk and likely not going to happen, but these are the types of calculated risks we should be taking because they are relatively inexpensive.

Stephen_A and MrButtocks like this.
  5. pmac

pmac Member

He looks like a 2nd rd pick.

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Member

Considering our depth I think we only traded for Griffin to use his salary for trade purposes. We're already a young team and don't have playing time to develop someone with the #44 pick, but we'll bring in a 20 year old Griffin (younger than many players in the draft) and somehow get him rotation minutes? I highly doubt that, especially considering he's the worst perimeter defender on the roster. Doesn't scream Ime guy at all.

To be clear, I was totally in favor of the trade. A former first rounder that can score/shoot and is only 20 years old is going to have more trade value than anyone we picked at #44.

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sir, this is an extremely scientific poll for science reasons. I didn't even weigh in on the trade. I am just doing science with a scientific poll for science reasons. I am basically a scientist.

Science.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

Sadly I think this is probably on the money. Sure I hope he blows up in camp and preseason, but the defense and poor handles makes it tough. I’m viewing him as salary filler at this point.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's time to change to AJ Griffin Only Fan.

10. meh

meh Member

I don't want to say he sucks so much as I feel he's clearly a limited player. Don't expect him to be a plus ball handler or passer or defender. But if he's passable in those areas, he can at least be a MLE type player.

11. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Definitely better than Josh Christopher ;)

12. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

You have to get passed the ball . Its summer league almost everyone plays selfish. Mondays game was 3 in 4 days. Cant judge much from poor tired leg shooting.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You see right through me.

Easy likes this.
  14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I'd give him a full season in Gleague and spot bench guy.. He make a couple buckets in garbage time, and watch his threads rise

15. Downtown Sniper

He's obviously good because he's in the NBA.

But to say I definitely understand why the Hawks got rid of him so quickly, is an understatement.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

i think he should start ahead of commander sheppard. he is bigger, more experience, and blek.

17. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

18. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Looking at his draft profiles seems like he’s a good spot up shooter and kinda bad on D, can’t create.

He was my super high in mocks I remember, I think the issue is with his height and wingspan and build people expect him to be an athletic fast twitch player that would be good on D, and perhaps not the best shooter. He’s the exact opposite. I think that’s fine as long as coaches utilize him correctly, which likely was part of the problem. Regardless he’s not great but love the pickup. Rather have him then whoever the mf the 44th pick would have been

19. jb86

jb86 Member

Let him go and add someone else when the time comes

20. Patience

Patience Member

Is AJ Griffin the white Bronny James?

J.R. likes this.