1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Do you like the signing of Dillon Brooks?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jul 2, 2023.

?

Do you like the signing of Dillon Brooks?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2023.
  1. Yes

146 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. No

308 vote(s)
    67.8%
  1. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

Good signing with a contract doesn’t look too nice . That being said it should to help in the near future . I’ll make my full judgement when 2025 get’s here .

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And he takes away shots from Alpe and Green. I am seeing suicides and meltdowns of Only Fans in the near future.

That entertainment is likely worth his 20 million.

Even Popovich could not entirely tame Rodman down in San Antonio, what makes you think 1 time Coach Udoka can.....

(Rodman was a distraction in SA)

3. Salvy

Salvy Member

He won't, look... Currently before yesterday we did not have a single player with his defense and or experience. If Ime wanted him its because Ime feels like he can utilize Brook's for his strengths. I highly doubt he is coming to Houston thinking he is going to run $hit and be the star, Brooks should know damn well why he was brough in and must have agreed to his role before making the deal....

4. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

His TS% was worse than Russ. Let that sink in the a moment.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I predict Tari will outplay him by year one of this deal.

Drift Monkey and kspires999 like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Rockets are plastered with 3rd Options....heck the whole team is full of borderline All Star potential.

Do you think Brooks will defer to 3rd Options who are 21 year old?

He would not run shet but he would also not listen to Green and Bari, you can count on that.

Bari is biting Tari playfully during the summer, what do you think Brooks does to him?

7. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I’m kind of the opposite. He’s a knucklehead but he competes on D night in and night out. For this phase of the rebuild that’s the culture that needs to be established. It comes down to whether Ime can get him to buy in to basically just shooting open 3s on offense.

If and when we ever get to the point where deep playoff runs are possible him being a knucklehead may be a bigger concern to blow things up.

I’m in the “OK/happy with the addition just don’t understand the contract” camp on this.

Jayzers_100 and anthony59237 like this.
  8. PatBev

PatBev Member

He should be the anchor of the second unit to make sure the games do not collapse as soon as the bench comes in

Amen/Whitmore/Brooks/Tari would be a nice bench to have. I think being the leader of the second unit would be a great role for how much we paying him

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I did not follow him when he was a rookie but I followed him these two years and it seems like he is going crazy and arrogant recently.

I just do not want to see Bari and him biting each other, that is just unnecessary PR and altercations.

Those guys are not sitting in front of a PC screen, they are sharing spaces.

Both are hotheads and over the top competitive.

Also Cam Whitmore does not seem to be a peaceful guy lol.

Maybe Fred VV can be that peaceful bear that is built like a tank.

#89 daywalker02, Jul 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
  10. xaos

xaos Member

11. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I agree. I’m pretty concerned about the amount of guaranteed money he’s getting. 3/60 with the third as a team option would’ve been fine. But we don’t know what other offers he had.

I also liked the Galaxy brain theory in this thread that maybe we overpaid so he doesn’t feel like he needs to prove himself for another deal and will do what Ime wants from him.

anthony59237 and daywalker02 like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In a nutshell, he is not as talented as Rodman or Draymond.

He is generic NBA player who is paid 20 million and who likes to get in other players' head and faces.

13. Salvy

Salvy Member

Its a good problem when you have several 21 year old's with star potential and Brooks at the same time. For Green and Jabari this whole NBA thing has been a summer camp thing where they are plainly just having fun. No discipline and no one to show them how to be tough, just a bunch of kids hooping for the last 3 years... The Rockets just acquired some grown men and the kids need that, let Brooks take some shots away from Green and Jabari.... What will Green do? Back down or man up and take the next step in development... If Green can't establish dominance then who will? We need this young talent to start playing like men, like stars.... It will never happen without the Brooks, Draymond's, Butler's or Smart's of the league....

If Brooks gets toxic, that's on the coach and org.....At that point deal with it accordingly but its worth the risk....

anthony59237 and NewAge like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Both Ime and Brooks are sort of coming from a situation where they are viewed as rejects.

Ime passively because of a secks scandal and Brooks because people in Memphis did not want to deal with his antics.

As said Fred will work his butt off maybe but Brooks is just an untalented enforcer who might be declining as a player.

Pretty frustrating for him to play babysitter.

15. thejav

thejav Member

Yall need to worry about your own checks. Stop worrying about what another man makes.

16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He will do whatever the coach tells him to do. If not he will be riding the bench.

jcmoon likes this.
  17. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

I thought Brooks was an interesting buy-low candidate. $20mil a year until 2027 is ridiculous.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Would rather have Cam Johnson, Bruce Brown, uneventful defenders who just do their job and do not talk much.

Ime has good intentions and this 60 million offseason is arriving too quickly for him, he has been here for what.....2 months?

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you create a locker room cancer that you are stuck with for 4 years? You really think that's an option?

This is Brooks' team now.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It had nothing to do with "antics", it had to do with him being an absolutely terrible player who was demanding a larger role on offense despite being one of the worst offensive players in the entire league.

Drift Monkey likes this.