1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Do you like the signing of Dillon Brooks?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jul 2, 2023.

?

Do you like the signing of Dillon Brooks?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2023.
  1. Yes

146 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. No

308 vote(s)
    67.8%
  1. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Pj tucker at age 37 got 11 million per year last year. I think adjusting that to just this year that is prob equivalent to 13 million per. Brooks is atleast as impactful as tucker. And before the stat geeks roll up their glasses to start coming at with ts % etc. Tucker took 2 3s a game and played 25 min a game and that was worth 11 mill.
    Just to put in perspective, even if brooks is overpaid, it's not by 20 million, it's prob closer to 5 to 7 million

2. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

"Defensively he's great but offensively he's a total mess. When a guy has 30 pt games every other week but averages 17 there's something going on when the highlights aren't paying attention. He takes waaaaay too many bad shots which are okay when they're going in but crippling when they're not. Even just this year his PER is 12 and VORP is -1.0. He's totally one of those "great if you're not paying attention" guys. I legit want to see a "passes per game" Stat cause in game 1 he must've passed less than 10 times.

Edit: found it. He passed 16 times TOTAL. That includes inbounds passes and passes just to move the ball around. For reference, JVal had 54 and Ja had 40. Brooks took 26 shots and passed 16 times."

I said this on May 21, 2021 in What's "Dillon Brooks is the closest thing to Mad Max" thread
    https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/dillon-brooks-is-the-closest-player-ive-seen-to-mad-max.311721/

He's been a terrible offensive player since he was drafted. One of the worst ball hogs in the league. This "Dillon Brooks only gets hate cause of LeBron" narrative has to stop. That only applies for casuals.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Taking fewer shots is more valuable when your efficiency sucks, not less. I would like the Brooks signing more if he shot as little as Tucker. My problem with him is that he's not just a neutral/passive shooter, he actively hurts his team on offense by trying to create his own shots, which is something he blows at.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  4. kpdark

kpdark Member

add Amen to that lineup

won't be too long

5. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Taking less shots also makes you useless on offense. I am not here to debate tucker vs brooks. Just here to say they are at the very least equally caliber players as proof that brooks is not a total over oay

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

best defensive lineup will be (1 to 5)

Amen, Brooks, Tari, Bari, Alpi

Drift Monkey likes this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's better to be a zero on offense (or preferably, a catch-and-shoot three point threat) than to be actively shooting your team out of games. Taking bad shots is using up possessions that could go to productive players.

Drift Monkey and Yung-T like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. TimDuncanDonaut

Brooks can be useful, I just wouldn't have paid the price of a Ferrari for an Accord. (don't at me, my family owns an accord :p it's an OK piece of machinery )

On the defensive line up thing... lot of it is purely on reputation. For Amen, it's more likely he's fall into the trap of "rookies not being good at defense freshman year troupe". Most players takes time to get better at it. First time into NBA, competition is stronger and faster; would take time getting used to. It's as much as know when to get physical and when "not to foul".

Defensively at PG FVV's defense is no doubt better than Amen who hasn't a played a NBA game yet.

dFG%

G - FVV (49.7%)
    G - Dillion Brooks (44.2%).
    <<- lower than expected. Jalen Green was 47.2%. Be hilarious if Green outplays the new $80m man on defense. Defensively, KPJ might even out play Dillion. 'Hey next season, best man wins the job.' Unrelated but fyi - Grant Williams is 49.3%​
    F - Tari (48.8)
    F -Bari (49.1)
    C- Alp (50%)

* Landale was 46.7, lower than Bari and Al-p
    * Jeff Green was 47.3, still behind Tari and Bari.

This would have been a much better line up. Surrounding Green with defensive dawgs
    G - FVV
    G - Green
    G - Tari
    F - Grant Wiliams (Dillion Brooks)
    C- Alp​

#189 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
  10. kpdark

kpdark Member

would want that

Drift Monkey and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. SamsonCorletwo

It's all about amount.
    If number is 15m/year,I guess most of people think that is right move
    The amount beyond my expectations,but I still like this deal
    Cos you get FVV and JG4,we need some defenders help them out in the defense side

12. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

I give the off-season an F so far. I don’t mind the players we’ve signed. What I know is that they were seeking less money…

There are numerous, verified published reported that FVV wanted 4 years, $130 million, and would have been OK with 3 years $100 million or 2 years $80 million.

Why does saving $3 million in cap space mean something?
    Because then the Rockets wouldn’t have had to trade a bunch of young former FRPs and cash to Atlanta and Memphis for nothing. Those assets could’ve been used in a larger trade for a major star. In fact, I would’ve traded them by now for Beal, Porzingis, or Ayton. Young assets with small contracts are exactly what teams looking to dump their stars with big contracts want.

With Dillon Brooks: love the guy, but it was a known fact he was looking for four years, $70 million in free agency… and it’s a known fact that Memphis could’ve maxed him out at 4 years $61 million, and they declined to do so. Once Detroit drafted Ausar Thompson and traded for Joe Harris (both swingmen who play Brooks’ positions), then Houston became the only team willing to hand Brooks a guaranteed contract of three years. Once again, there are numerous recent pieces that Brooks’ value was $13 million a year maximum because any team interested in him could only offer the Bi-Annual Exception. The Rockets could’ve easily locked up Brooks for 4 years $60 million instead of $80 million, and saved $5 million in cap space during the process.

I think Stone went crazy having all this cap space to spend and not being as meticulous as someone who’s budgeting should be.

Again, I like FVV and Brooks signings, but the Rockets unnecessary overpaid for them.

Drift Monkey and Ankara1923 like this.
  13. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Agree with most of your points but FVV’s deal is essentially 2 years 80M with a team option in year 3.

Drift Monkey, Ankara1923 and bro2044 like this.
  14. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

It's early, so maybe I'm misunderstanding your post (or maybe I've just always misunderstood these stats), but....

Lower is better, isn't it? This being the fg% of the opponent when these guys are defending? Glancing at other top defenders, that seems to be the case, and I doubt Jalen Green is the best of the bunch. And Jeff would be better than those other guys, not behind them. Technically I suppose the diff is the best metric since I believe it takes into account the expected percentage (so adjusting for 3s vs dunks).

15. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Ime Udoka will discipline his ass.

16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I like how you put opinion in quotes like it isn't an opinion. "Pretending" like an All-NBA defensive selection contributed to his team is an opinion I'll stick with too.

RealGM Radio: Nekias Duncan On The Second Round (May 2022) - RealGM Wiretap the 30m mark or so, a great discussion about him. Memphis' comment was strange and it isn't some rogue opinion to think that.

17. IslandB.O.I.sBurner

I like it more now…..

18. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

So you are saying you would rather have pj tucker on offense than brooks and that by default tucker is a better offensive player than brooks?
    Even if you do, still doesn't change the point that if a 37 year old playing 25 min a game with sucky offense can get 11 year per then brooks 20 million (while an overpay) is not that far fetched

19. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Love the signing, in basketball you need players who think and play hard. Too many times last season, most Rockets players saw a lost as a learning experience, or didn't take losing seriously. I'm quite sure none of the last year Rockets players know we had a record-breaking losing streak. Dillon will not accept losing, some of our Rockets players especially Silas laughing and socializing with the enemy after a lost.

anthony59237 likes this.
  20. Holybats

Holybats Member