1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Do you like the Clint Capela-Robert Covington trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Feb 5, 2020.

?

Are you a fan of this trade?

1. Yes

341 vote(s)
    57.4%
  2. No

253 vote(s)
    42.6%
  1. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

I did not like the trade when news broke last night, but the more I digest it, the more I’m buying in. Capela is injured, Westbrook can’t shoot, so let’s surround Russ with shooters and let him be a “power guard”. Stopping Davis and Jokic will be a problem, but the Rockets will shoot other bigs off of the floor.

The TPE ruling hurts us, a big better than Bell is more ideal to round out the rotation.

2. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I like Covington to help perimeter defense but this totally depends on how good the replacement center will be for the team defense to rate this deal. As it stands we got worse unless we get someone as good or better than Capela as a help defender and rebounder (not even mentioning his production on offense as a high efficieny lob threat and running the floor in transition).

If Hart develops or we have another deal for a strong defensive/rebounding C then it's a great risk that paid off. If RoCo (whom leadership made mistakes evaluating defensively last time) is overrated or the new C isn't as good this trade will look terrible, only time will tell.

I hope it works and we improve defensively & become a top seed by season's end.

#102 OkayAyeReloaded, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  3. shlhl

shlhl Member

short team become shorter. This is basket ball not soccer .midget team can't win it all.

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. JW86

JW86 Member

Yup, I'm excited about going all out small ball. Just to see if it can work.

5. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

So far, this is a bad trade. We traded the best player in the trade & gave up a 1st round pick.

fryjol7 and RasaqBoi like this.
  6. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

After seeing how Capela folds in the playoffs, yes.

7. cml750

cml750 Member

I am actually fairly neutral on the trade. I will hope for the best. If DM can work some magic today I could become much more excited about it.

8. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Can Morey get a Andre jordon or Kanter level center for Houston ?

9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Why does anyone want Kanter? Dude defense is atrocious. We might as well play Hartenstein.

D-rock and Sanctity like this.
  10. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I hope you get infected with the JuWan Coronavirus and Ebola at the same time and see how well you fair...

11. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

capela wasn’t good in the playoffs. He’s a nice guy though...

12. dejamike

dejamike Member

I like the trade in terms of the players swap, not so much on giving up another FRP. I understand why some people don’t like this trade, probably due to giving up an inside presence and rebounding. But I think CC’s production can be replace. Like it or not, Harden contributes most of CC’s success (offensively at least). 3 and D guys are more valuable than a traditional type of centers in the modern NBA.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

2 days later, and I hate it even more!!!!

WTF is this team doing besides going backwards.......

DD

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

loving this trade more and more as the days go by

15. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

He was playing with 2 viruses suppose..dly

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

Denovo likes this.
  17. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Tyson Chandler coming off of i.r. soon.

Capeala might have hit one three and he ain't no Amar'e stoudamire!

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

[​IMG]

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey says that Russell Westbrook and James Harden will take advantages of their skills better as the team moves to a smaller lineup.

“We’ve been high on Covington for quite a while. It really wasn’t us holding that up. There were a lot of suitors for him. We finally found a deal that worked.”

In their recent games playing small, the Rockets have struggled on the boards in the first half but rebounded well in the second half. They had dramatically decreased their turnovers while increasing their steals. And they became convinced that the improvement they needed most was defensively, making them covet Covington even more.

“He’s very good off the ball, knowing how to position himself, anticipates, gets steals, denies passing lanes,” Morey said. “On the ball, he’s a guy who can honestly take the ball from someone Kawhi (Leonard) like. He’s somebody who really fits how coach (Mike) D’Antoni wants to play.”