1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Do we re-sign Olynyk now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jul 30, 2021.

?

Do we re-sign Olynyk?

1. Yes

123 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. No

91 vote(s)
    42.5%
  1. DonatelloLimestone

This
    just like with Bradley
    I suspected that we went for all contracts that were expiring and if we are getting Thies then we are taking the cheaper alternative.
    We could've kept on bradley as a vet or even trade asset for contracts, but it is what it is. now from the player portion we went from Allen/Levert to Oladipo - to Kelly/Bradley. Now a salary dump with draft assets
    Somethings don't change in rocket land but it matters less now i suppose.
    but we got the youth movement, young kings coming in, upward and onward.

amaru likes this.
  2. DonatelloLimestone

Yea but what potential does that trade package have for them to get further? Those guys are yougn on good contracts

Kelly is maybe a downgrade version of Sabonis and older.

He showed out but it dind't lead to wins, but he has definitely upped his value.

And then for us, were still rebuilding not sure what purpose turner will be with an extension due too and we lose a pick which is thee entire value of the harden trade now with all players having been lost.

3. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

We never expected him to play as well as he did.

It would be nice to get a pick for him.

But doubt it will happen, with the interest in Theis.

4. jch1911

jch1911 Member

How many young players do you want to draft? Olynyk is an experienced vet... I would love for him to stay & help develop our players, but he deserves a chance at a ring and he is not getting any younger.

I get why Detroit is after him... he is from Toronto (close to Detroit) and he can be a good mentor.... but if he is going to be a mentor, let's keep him here.

Lamb has been on the trade block & Turner is not helped Indiana advance in the playoffs with their current makeup. Olynyk helped the Heat to the Finals in a year when NOBODY expected that from them (Heat actually held TC on my college's campus that year).

Olynyk (30) is five years older than Turner (25) (Sabonnis 25 as well). IMHO Turner fits with the Rockets team makeup better than Olynyk.

I have made myself known that I think Turner would be the player to help put the Rockets over the top - especially when Harden was here. I still think he can do that.

Also, I can or cannot confirm that the Rox team was tanking its games.

5. DonatelloLimestone

I would love Kelly here too. I'm a big believer in having seasoned vets to develop the young guys and he was impressive and fit like a glove in taking advantage of silas's offense.

Detroit certainly isn't going to be competing for anyone, they are ina situation like ours, so not sure why he'd be there for them over ours unlses its soley a money thing.

Turner hasn't helped advanced, you can say that about 28 other teams too, he isn't the problem. He counters Sabonis almost perfectly they just have a mediocre middle of the road team and more improtantly that trade does nothing for them to even think they will jump and get better. If htey are going to rid of an important piece like Turner, it won't be for that.

I think turner is solid for us, but I just odn't think its realistic for pacers and then furthermore for us. I like his talent though, just wouldn't trade a first since our future is paramount and no sure what he will add in his two years of contracts before we have to extend or sy good bye, so with that time line im not sure its worth while to lose a first to pay turner while we lose for a year or 2 and then have to exend or lose him.

When harden was here, turner is a NO brainer! he would take us over the top bc we have a generational creator whose in his prime. but iwthout hardne, he makes very little sense.

lol rockets can or can't tank their games but they weren't any better than any of the other teams in the west and this year as well, they arent' goign to sniff the 8th seed thats for sure. WEll have good runs, good games, and a young gritty team that will upset and compete, but over all depth,talent age is going to put us back in the lottery next year and that leaves us with one year of turner who probably wouldn't want to be here for that anyways. In the end, I keep the picks. We put all are harden marbles for picks, I'm not going to get rid of that asset for 2 years of turner during our rebuild.

I'm down with brining back Kelly as a vet, but if we get Thies it looks like the rockets want the saving option and at this point it is what it is.

6. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I hear you and agree with most of your points.

If we do get Theis, I would hope Wall is headed out in the same transaction... both teams win

7. Rockets21

Rockets21 Member

Would love to keep KO if the price is right. I always loved his game, and really wished we had him when he was done in Boston, but Miami overpaid for him. IMO he would have been the missing piece to knock off the warriors because he'd pretty much negates Draymond's effectives.