1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Do Houstonians like money more than politics?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by s3ts, Oct 19, 2020.

?

I'm a Houstonian, and I support DNC while working in O&G because...

Poll closed Dec 14, 2020.
  1. I need a job

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. I act like a left-wing supporter and get by socially like this

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. My job is not as important as the reasons why I support DNC

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. Republican pigs piss me off

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. Who says I support the DNC?

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Bidens not wrong though. Oil companies are some of the worst environmental offenders around. That clip doesn't move the needle for me. I'd have to research more than a 16 second sound byte.

#81 TWS1986, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  2. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Again, this is anecdotal evidence based on an incredibly small sample size. Anecdotally, in my experience, an overwhelming majority of people I know in O&G vote red. I probably know around 30-40 people, and despite not all of them directly saying "I voted for Trump", it can be pretty obvious based on comments they make about Dems. I know one person in O&G that votes blue, and she is 24 and hispanic. She also has an engineering degree in a field that doesn't necessitate she works in oil and gas.

And even though I mentioned the hispanic and AA population as the main reasons that Houston votes blue, I'm sure there are plenty of examples of hispanic voters who work in O&G that vote straight ticket red. My ex-gf's family is hispanic and her parents are engineers that work in O&G, and they are as conservative as it comes in regards to voting.

My point is and continues to be: The demographics of Houston dictate the voting for the most part. I would still contend that more people in O&G vote red than vote blue, but again my evidence is mostly based on anecdotes. Unless someone has concrete evidence one way or another (which as you point out would be extremely difficult to verify), then my mind isn't changing on that. The bottom line (and I think this is safe to say definitively) is that the majority of people in Harris County that do not work in O&G vote blue - and those votes drive the results.

superfob and TWS1986 like this.