1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Do Houstonians like money more than politics?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by s3ts, Oct 19, 2020.

?

I'm a Houstonian, and I support DNC while working in O&G because...

Poll closed Dec 14, 2020.
  1. I need a job

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. I act like a left-wing supporter and get by socially like this

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. My job is not as important as the reasons why I support DNC

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. Republican pigs piss me off

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. Who says I support the DNC?

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Go fill up your car at Exxon and then tell Raji that you don't have cash or credit just ideas for fossil fuel reforms

see what happens

Ubiquitin likes this.
  2. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I will then! :D.

tinman likes this.
  3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I laughed.

Take your own advise Ms. Manners.

As I've already covered, it's a dishonest question.

I literally responded to your comments about guns after you made the claim in a post that "I really would like to hear how you came to this conclusion that DNC 1. doesn't hate guns." Here is your own quote in a successive post.

Wrong, voters pick the candidates in a primary and then the general election.

Many people who work in oil and gas downtown or in the Houston city limits don't live in Houston. They live in Kingwood or Sugarland or Katy or on the outskirts of Houston. However, I live in a neighborhood with several people who work in oil and gas. All of them had their houses flooded twice in successive years after never flooding for the entire 25 year existence of the neighborhood. Climate change affects everyone, even those in oil and gas.

Furthermore, just because Democrats acknowledge the existence of climate change and a need to do something about it doesn't mean they hate oil and gas any more than the horse and buggy. In fact, Joe Biden (the top Democrat currently) has said fracking will continue. Hardly the position of a hater. Do Republicans hate the Earth because they refuse to acknowledge or do anything about climate change?

The more you speak the more you sound like a Republican. Makes up fake positions for other people to argue, check. Be civil preceded by name-calling, check. Unable to understand nuance, check. Doesn't care about facts, check.

Maybe you should google the word moderate and ask yourself what 5x the amount of people holding a position means about that position.

Ubiquitin and jiggyfly like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

SAUCY!

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Unrelated question. I was genuinely curious what the industry people thought since this thread had an O&G slant.

6. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

True, but they'll cut their losses first instead of pivoting with their current payroll. Transitioning typically requires turnover.

7. STR8Thugg

AGAIN...

https://bestneighborhood.org/race-in-houston-tx/

https://bestneighborhood.org/conservative-vs-liberal-map-houston-tx/

Also, keep in mind the greater Houston area houses more than 6 million people. More people in Houston work outside of O&G than work in O&G. I would expect the majority of O&G employees vote red (even if that isn't an overwhelming majority).

This isn't really that complex imo, and you seem to be overgeneralizing a highly diverse, polymorphic demographic.

tierre_brown likes this.
  8. s3ts

s3ts Member

... I saw your posts earlier.

No, I'm not overgeneralizing.

1 in 5 dollars spent in Houston is directly from O&G industry. And that's not accounting for indirect O&G industry spendings like the contracting firms for accounting, IT, etc.

There's a massive downstream effect, there's so much money spent by O&G that even AMZN, MSFT are opening up offices to discuss offerings with Big Oil. They're not there to open an office to create new markets or hire software devs like they do in Austin or Dallas. No, they're just there to offer modernization/cloud services to O&G.

The economic implications of shifting away from carbon fuels is devastating for Houstonians, and the USA in general... Even the banks depend on O&G industry as these companies take loans to initially buy out everything like land purchases and permitting, legal costs.

9. STR8Thugg

I don't discount that it comprises a huge percentage of the economy, but like I said O&G still votes mostly red.

Even if 1/5 people in Houston work for O&G that still leaves 4/5 people not working for it. The demographics play a bigger role. Just look at the visual representation in the links I copied from someone else. Again, it's not that surprising.

If you could show me stats that said the majority of O&G voted blue, then the thread would make more sense.

TWS1986 and tierre_brown like this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Houston doesn't have the same 80's O&G population anymore. We are basically 50/50 with natives and transplants. Transplants recruited from the East and West coasts were social issues are just as important as the money they make. People want Houston to go from being a place to make a living and stay home to make a living and enjoy the city itself.

Ubiquitin, s3ts, tinman and 1 other person like this.
  11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I work for the largest pipeline company in the world and I'll still vote blue. Sorry not sorry.

Ubiquitin, Deckard and TWS1986 like this.
  12. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

O&G in the house! And yep I vote blue.

sammy and Deckard like this.
  13. s3ts

s3ts Member

Just because I'm using profanity doesn't make you more civil. Here's all your posts "in succession".

It took you 5 posts to post something genuine (and even that one was hostile). I'm not going to apologize for calling you out for lowering the standards of conversation.

You decided to get into that conversation because you wanted to instigate the gun laws part of a conversation between @wizkid83 and I, to challenge me on my knowledge, challenge me on my political position. Only after @wizkid83 did you feel like posting something genuine, and it wasn't even topical to the original post. And you were still hostile. Still hostile here.

If you want to support the argument that gun laws is why you're voting for blue, then that's fine. It takes <10 words, or even a reply to @wizkid83 with "I agree about the gun laws".

Biden is all over the place.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-biden-will-end-fracking-without-a-ban-11603235789
    There's gotta be some kind of disconnect if it's not brain-dead obvious to everyone that Biden is going to try to make it tough for oil & gas companies. At this point, what Biden is doing is demagoguery -- changing positions to win more votes in places he wants to win over in a last-minute show-down with Trump. Nobody is convinced Biden will try to keep O&G jobs alive. If you are, that's just living in denial.

Making climate change a priority is something to take seriously, yes, but again, we're talking about major overhaul for decades for transporting goods. We use O&G for producing fertilizers and pesticides. We use 7 gallons of oil in every tire. Most transport ships run on diesel. Construction produces 1/3 of all US greenhouse gases, and there's no way we're slowing that down during population growth...

Screaming that there's a problem with carbon emissions and global warming is not solving any problems at all. There's just a simple equation that everything boils down to -- you either want to limit human population growth, or allow it at the expense of global warming and environmental damage.

And we haven't even talked about how we can enforce carbon emission standards on other countries...

If global warming is a bigger concern and you vote using this, I think that's a totally acceptable answer. However if you also work in O&G, I'd imagine it's a bigger dilemma. I'd hope they had planned to cross industries way ahead of time.

14. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

To me as well, now this might not make sense, or it might I don't know lol. But, as someone in IT support... my skills transfer almost anywhere across industries because everyone needs some form of IT at the end of the day. I don't care as much about O&G in that sense if Biden is elected or Trump. I do care about my job in general because O&G pays a lot more. I do the same thing here that I did at my last job, but I make 25-30k more just being in O&G. It's nice.

s3ts likes this.
  15. s3ts

s3ts Member

That's the problem, you really can't verify if O&G employees directly vote red or blue. The polling for that would be pretty difficult to find or even produce. The closest you have is the city of Houston, and personal interactions with people who work in the industry.

I don't know if you work in O&G or not. I've worked in it for 10 years. And usually it's about 50-50 if they're voting blue or red, but these are my personal interactions with coworkers. I've also worked in Europe for a year, and they're obviously relatively left compared to US so when they migrated to US they'd all vote blue.

EDIT: After talking about, I think I only know 2 people who voted for Trump. Everyone else I know voted for Hillary and will also vote for Biden this year...

Again, the closest thing you have is the city of Houston. It dominates O&G, Harris county votes blue every time.

16. s3ts

s3ts Member

Yup. That's what makes Houston so nice -- the economic factor.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's always been a city to enjoy . . . if you didn't get pulled over by HPD on occasion. My long hair and KFMK bumper sticker gave me no end of trouble back in the day.

18. s3ts

s3ts Member

Cool. And may I ask why you vote blue? What's the bigger picture?

19. s3ts

s3ts Member

Fracking is a real thing. It's what enabled the USA to become the world's largest producer of oil. Nobody could've predicted it either, everyone was wondering when we'd hit "peak oil". This is because oil is really hard to recover in a lot of the cases. Closing the gap for demand/supply of oil was really challenging for this reason since production was limited even if there were a ton of oil in a proven reserve. We simply didn't have the technique to recover oil that wasn't fluid enough to make it out of the subsurface.

20. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I'm just gonna leave this here......