1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Did the Rockets get better this offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BamBam, Nov 29, 2020.

?

What's your opinion on the CURRENT Rockets roster ...

1. Yes, this team is better than last years squad...

185 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. No, this team is actually worse than last years squad...

41 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. The team is no better off or worse than last years squad...

75 vote(s)
    24.9%
  1. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Best in years? Definitely better than last year. Better than 2017-2018? Nope. That team length height and could play multiple styles. Gordon was a 6th man and we had the ability to throw Ariza and Luc at opposing teams.
    I am happy to have Woods and boogie but I'm still not sold on the sf postion. We still need to add shooting that has length at the 3.

daywalker02, saleem and D-rock like this.
  2. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

I still would like to know why did the pistons sign jerami grant for 60 million for 3 years when they had christian wood sitting right there already on the team and would have been a little cheaper.

3. riko

riko Member

I like to be proven wrong but the Rotation of House and Gerald Green at the three spot is not going to cut it if we want to challenge the lakers. We badly need an upgrade there or atleast way more depth.

Rockets I am sure know this better then anyone.

D-rock likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, I like the potential depth of this team over the 2017 team. This Rockets team has more volatility with injury concerns with Nwaba and Gordon and Cousins... but if even Nwaba and Gordon are 100% this depth is potentially better in my opinion.

If Nwaba is healthy, the Rockets can go 9-10 deep and if Cousins is back and productive, there will be rotation players not getting minutes.

I would love to have a SF that is 6’10” and a lock down defender and three point shooter as well but the Rockets couldn’t find one... still they have Harden, House, Gordon, Brown and even Nwaba to get minutes there.

I personally am more concerned about PF, but the Rockets are not finished.

Wood has some mental lapses but he brings the length and size the Rockets have lacked defensively. Brown is a good defender that is very physical and has upside to be even better. Nwaba is an all NBA defense caliber defender that can cover almost any 1-4...

The Rockets added defensively. To this team from a depth perspective.

Deuce, D-rock and baller4life315 like this.
  5. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Just the fact we have options or an option at center makes us better.

s3ts, jim1961, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Grant as a defender is a level above Wood. Grant is a very rare defender because he has the quickness and instincts to cover elite 2’s and 3’s at a very high level. However he is also strong enough and long enough to defend elite interior players at a very high level. While Wood can block shots and is very long and is one of the few true post defenders with the foot speed to defend the perimeter, he isn’t going to make life hell for LeBron or AD or Leonard like Grant can.

The Pistons also believe Grant will be a 20+ point a game scorer being featured in Detroit.

Wood is less of a sure thing... and for a team like Detroit with cap room at the time, it makes sense to spend 6 million more a year for a sure thing.

fckbandwagons, D-rock and saleem like this.
  7. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Nawaba and Wood are fantastic. Much better than just RoCo and I’m a huge RoCo fan.

Cousins? Who knows. Could be good. Probably an average center considering defense.

8. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Grant is just a way, way worse player than Christian Wood holy Jesus. Really isn’t debatable but lucky for you, you’ll be pleasantly surprised when the season starts and this becomes obvious.

The NBA has no idea how to defend Wood in the context of this team. He’ll open up the season on fire, like 2013 Harden and cool down as the league adjusts. But the very first games will set the tone and create his reputation.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I will be very happy if Nwaba can be a productive player for us. Let’s hope he’s recovered enough to give us at least 10 minutes of defense. Anything else would be gravy.
    @Nook

D-rock likes this.
  10. edwardc

edwardc Member

Better on paper now can they put it all together and make it work on the court.

11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

It's too soon to tell brother. Get back to me by the AS break.

D-rock likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

I was against it at first, but Rockets need to trade Russ to upgrade starting 3 and 4 spots.

https://tradenba.com/trade-machine

ORL: Thaddeus Young, Danuel House + Bulls FRP
    CHI: Russ Westbrook, Eric Gordon
    HOU: Otto Porter Jr., Aaron Gordon, Tomas Satoransky + Bulls SRP

Sign & Trade Shaq Harrison with Bulls for Chris Clemons and SRP or rights to Yusuf Sanon.

Shaq Harrison/Sterling Brown/Ben McLemore
    James Harden/Tomas Satoransky/Gerald Green
    Otto Porter Jr./David Nwaba/Jae'sean Tate
    Aaron Gordon/PJ Tucker/Bruno Caboclo
    Christian Wood/Boogie Cousins

And Tate should not be guaranteed a spot, especially if a better 3/4 or stretch 5 available.

riko likes this.
  13. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Yes ofc we are better, would be way better if we had Roco and had traded Gordon instead. I hope he has a better season.

BamBam and D-rock like this.
  14. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Would be nice
    If we do trade Russ I hope we do it better than when we traded Cp3 for Russ. We need to be up front about it and hopefully Russ is on board. Especially I hope Harden is on board if we do trade Russ.

Chemistry is important and communication too. When we brought in Melo that created some tension between Harden and cp3 and with the team.
    I remember when Dwight and Harden just kinda didn’t get along and we had a bad season after going to the WCF. so things can go south if the core isn’t on the same page.

D-rock likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We need cerebral defenders.

Wood is a shotblocker and people automatically think the world of flashy plays.

Derozan once told in an interview it was so hard to overcome Lebron because he was so cerebral, knew more Raptors plays than their own role players.

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

First of all, I'm not even counting Boogie as an addition. I'll be shocked if he isn't injured and waived before the season is over.

Second, aside from the fact that we swapped GMs and coaches, lost Covington and lost quality depth in Rivers and Green, OUR STAR PLAYERS DON'T WANT TO BE HERE ANYMORE!

How in the world will be better if that's the case? Does anybody remember Dwight's last season when he apparently didn't want to be here anymore and Harden was also unhappy?

#116 Williamson, Dec 1, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

173 people disagree with you

D-rock and Bobbythegreat like this.
  18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have proven more than 173 wrong before. See MCW. See Isaiah Hartenstein.

D-rock and Os Trigonum like this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

for the record I'm not disagreeing with you ;)

D-rock, MettaWorldPete and Williamson like this.
  20. s3ts

s3ts Member

After thinking about this, the roster isn't as important as the system change.

The other players stepping up is the challenge on the shoulders of Silas and GM. How this team enables the role players to do that is the big problem that's difficult to solve. Especially against the teams that have more talent on paper.

What changes everything for me is at the last 5 minutes of a playoff game, whether the entire team is just staring at Harden shrugging shoulders, asking him to bail out the whole team or not.

If we do everything through Harden, because nobody on the team is good enough to relieve pressure off of him, this team won't get to the Finals.

I'll hold out hope of improving the actual roster, there's still tradable pieces left here to improve upon.

D-rock and MettaWorldPete like this.