1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Clyde Drexler or Ron Artest in their prime?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DPballer, Nov 8, 2008.

?

Clyde Drexler or Ron Artest in their prime?

1. I would take Drexler in a heartbeat

159 vote(s)
    82.0%
  2. Drexler has the slight edge over Artest

21 vote(s)
    10.8%
  3. This is a total tossup!

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Artest has the slight edge over Drexler

6 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. I would take Artest in a heartbeat

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. DPballer

DPballer Member

I'm going to guess the majority will go with Clyde by a landslide. I think I would take Artest since he's a better all-around player. His defense is suffocating and can take over games on offense. I went with Artest slightly.

Poll will be added.

2. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I think a better comparison would be Artest and Barkley. Even though they play different positions, Artest reminds me a lot of Charles.

Drexler was tragically underrated from playing in the age of Jordan. Clyde was a better player in his thirties than Tracy was in his twenties.

3. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

why are you trying to kill Tinman. Seriously this is murder if he dies of a heart attack.

4. Persianfoo

Persianfoo Member

Drexler was very good. Ron probably shoots 3's better and Ron's defense is alot better. But I would still pick Drexler slightly over Ron. They are both incredible during their primes though.

5. DPballer

DPballer Member

I agree with the Barkley comparison since Artest is so physical. But he wasn't nearly as dominant on the boards as Barkley, so I still consider them different type of players. I still think of Artest as a SG/SF in a PF's body, while Barkley as a true PF.

6. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

Is this a serious question?

Drexler was a first ballot HOF. Artest won't come close.

Drexer's defense was as good as Artest's, but he didn't get much credit for it because he was such a good scorer.

Drexler was infinitely better as a passer and rebounded just as well as Artest.

7. Bassem

Bassem Member

Clyde Drexler was one of the league's legends. I don't know if you can consider Ron a legend. Just yet.

8. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

On both sides of the ball, ron's by far better. on offense clyde was a alottttttttttttttttttttttt better. i remember the first game in orlando in the finals where clyde had 40 points. that was the smoothest 40 i have ever seen.

9. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Glide could put up 45 with ease.

This cannot be a real question.

10. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

clyde was considered another version of MJ, that says a lot. He and MJ can match toe to toe, except for maybe defense in their prime (not by much).

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

clyde was about on par with artest on d. clyde got his team to the finals for a reason. yeah he wasn't as good as jordan but the guy was a dominant player.

12. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

It must have been, considering it didn't happen.

Seriously, nobody's falling for your "I've been a Rockets fan since before this season, honest!" story. Just quit before your lies get too out there.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OXaJ1YIHqpM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OXaJ1YIHqpM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. Tmacfan0115

Tmacfan0115 Member

Drexler and it's not even close. Artest is the better defender and rebounder and that's it.

Drexler is much faster, better scorer, better passer, more athletic, he's a true #1 option.

Drexler was just a complete beast in his prime, He's a HOF player, Artest is probably not even a HOF player at this point.

14. dafranchise0309

Other:This is a total bullsh|t thread and poll!!

The two players have totally different game styles it is like comparing Bob Sura to Allen Iverson..

15. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Besides the fact that Barkley wasn't even close as a defender Artest is. Two totally different players. Drexler was a great all around player on offense. Could post up, run the break with the best of them, smooth jumper, and his passing was very underrated.

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

are you serious? clyde was arguably the 2nd best SG during the jordan era.

he's better than any SG right now outside of kobe.

17. Htown57

Htown57 Member

clyde gets slept on simply because he played alongside jordan, and because his game was more efficient than highlight friendly.

Clyde could score at will, he could get to the line, was a SUPERB passer, got to the finals twice before he even teamed up with hakeem, and was nigh unstoppable on the break or in the open court.

Ron is a very good defender, but still, i don't think this is close.

18. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

is this a serious thread?

if so, ron artest isn't half the player clyde drexler was in his prime.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Drexler was considered on par with MJ until their finals meet up.

20. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

3% voted Artest in a heart beat. I think that matches the percentage of r****ded people in the general population.