1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Bubble trouble - is the season over?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TimDuncanDonaut, Aug 26, 2020.

?

What is projection on a possible return date.

1. 1 week

81 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. 2-3 weeks

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. 1 month

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. >1 month still this year

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  5. Bubble popped, this season is done.

96 vote(s)
    50.8%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

why can't i talk about the financial impact?
    Am I not free to speak about it? are you trying to censor people who want to talk about it? Isn't that why LeBron wouldn't talk about Hong Kong? Financial Impact?

not all the players are lebron james who make max salary.
    Lu Dort on OKC makes $150k, he's fighting for a contract based on his play on James Harden.
    he needs to play games cause he's not a millionaire.

Bold font is fun! :)

arkoe, dreamshakin, Tfor3 and 2 others like this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Not gonna say the players are wrong if they strike, but when you take sports away from fans, they start to realize how little they actually need them.

I feel the same way about baseball's strikes. It's an extremely dangerous game to play, even if it may be for the right reasons.

3. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

called it, that season's over.. especially now that both Lakers and Clippers are refusing to play the rest of the playoffs.

4. tinman

Supporting Member

we are exclusively watching the NBA on TV (I know this is a controversial statement) because of the virus
    we can switch the channel
    we can also switch the HDMI inputs

and if you don't have HDMI inputs, please donate your CRT to goodwill

beard4life likes this.
  5. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i was under the impression that whatever they do they are going to do it together. lakers and clippers voted not to play the majority did not.

6. raspar

raspar Member

At this point they should be asking to disarm the police.

7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Anyone praising lebron after what he said about Morey/HK, on a ROCKETS forum, is an embarrassment and should be ashamed of themselves.

8. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

All this talk about the season being over is kind of shocking to me. It’s written in the CBA that you can’t strike/ boycott. If the owners want to leverage that they can

fattz and tinman like this.
  9. tinman

Supporting Member

That’s for speaking about the topic
    I know if you bring up the non social aspect of this topic you will be condemned

TheRealAllpro and Tfor3 like this.
  10. fattz

fattz Member

Can and should. The league is bigger than a few players and a few teams.

tinman likes this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

We talked about the financial impact after China shut down the nba
    We talked about the financial impact after the pandemic forced a shorten season
    We can talk about the financial impact if a boycott happens

I’m just telling you this isn’t a taboo subject
    You are trying to make feel guilty about talking about

Tfor3 and ashleyem like this.
  12. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

They will be back very soon......they always do.

But this had the effect they wanted it to have. I hope it keeps on working.

D-rock likes this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, it's looking like it's going to be canceled. If the Lakers and Clippers are adamant about not playing I can't see how anyone else can go ahead with it. Wouldn't matter anyways, it would be the most worthless championship ever.

I know Lebron gets a lot of flack but he's sacrificing here. No, he's not sitting behind bars like Ali or risking his career, but he's 35. Fathertime is knocking. His team this year was very likely to win a ring and who knows how many years he has left.

Lebron has put a lot of money into local communities and has done a lot of good work. He also understands the importance of voting and has and is doing work there too.

I get he says nothing about China and he should have at the very least stood behind Morey an American citizen instead of basically scolding him for it. That was his mistake. It's clear he knew nothing about what was and is going on there and as such should have just went for the "I don't have enough information..." response...

But this is something closer to home for him so it makes sense he'd be a lot more interested in it.

The bubble was a fun little experiment but I won't miss it at all. It seems like some of the players are not enjoying it either... I can't imagine being in lockdown in a hotel with a bunch of other dudes and doing it for entertainment being fun at all. I did say I hope if they do boycott they just go through with it. If they turn around and by the end of the week decide to play the games again it would be a weak message.

And I liked that Jaylen Brown called dudes out, that if they walk out of the season, guys better not just be at home. Actually do something about it, get out the vote, donate to a candidate that supports criminal justice reform. Do something other than # tweet about it.

As for the talk about how the NBA will suffer for this. Nah. I get the ratings were down but the games just aren't the same without the fans and their energy and actual homecourt advantage. I doubt it has anything to do with political messaging as that's always been in the NBA. I think the lack of fans just makes games a little more boring and tame and when Giannis does a spin and dunk and it gets no reaction it just feels odd.

14. foggy94

foggy94 Member

I think they need to figure out what tangible things they can do right now to make change. I saw the Bucks were in a call with the Wisconsin Attorney General last night. I don't see how they can just go back to playing, what does the next game look like? They already have BLM plastered everywhere, slogans on the jerseys etc. They've played all their cards in that sense, so it wouldn't look any different and just goes back to being normal, exactly what they don't want.

Whereas if they can get a list of demands almost, whether that's more investment from Owners and the League into black causes, then they can say the strike was 'successful' enough to carry on playing, if that makes sense.

D-rock likes this.
  15. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Well said. It pisses me off that LeBron took that stance on China, and if the reports were true that he wanted Morey fired that's even worse. But, I imagine he would have a different response if that happened now, rather than in the heat of the moment. Thankfully Adam Silver dealt with it smartly at the time.

But, activism doesn't have to be all or nothing. LeBron built a friggin school and is changing the lives of an entire generation of kids. That's a more direct, tangible use of his power to make a difference than I've seen from any other athlete. Not just 'inspiring change', but making it yourself. Not just writing a cheque, but getting involved and nurturing the education of kids from childhood to adulthood.

Does LeBron have to be perfect on every level? Are we saying no person ever can speak out about one cause unless they round the board on everything? Because you know who else's reponse sucked on China? James Harden and Russell Westbrook, who apologised for the tweet. Daryl Morey, for not saying anything since then.

Lot of people out here giving LeBron **** for not being perfect, when they are the same people who walk on the other side of the road when they see a homeless person. Who wouldn't dare break ranks at work to stand up for a coworker being treated unjustly. Who don't give to charity, or volunteer. We shouldn't listen to LeBron on black issues cause he didn't do anything on China? Ok, why should I listen to you on China, what skin have you put in the game? Show me your cards.

D-rock, Der Rabbi and JayGoogle like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dude, the Bubble was the safest thing.

It was a miracle, Baseball and football couldn't do it.

Not saying it was perfect but it was safe.

I would have shortened the Playoffs though and scratched some of the Bubble scrimmages and seeding games.

Kudos to Silver for the Bubble doe.

Not that the Rox would have won anyways.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I have no qualms on the safety of the bubble, that's not my argument against it, I never mentioned safety. It's super safe and its an achievement of Silver with how he's handled everything.

Just that the NBA isn't the same without fans and these didn't feel like playoff games. I wouldn't exactly miss the NBA if it were to just cancel the rest of the year. When the NBA comes back I want it to feel like the NBA with the fans, the excitement, and it not feeling like everyone is just putting this on so that we can crown a 'champion'.

The NBA put their best foot forward for this, Silver is the best commissioner in sports in my opinion, but I don't feel like its worth continuing at this point.

And yeah, I don't think the Rockets were winning this and it would suck for any team to win this and not celebrate it in front of a crowd.

I kept thinking of Luka's shot and thought its kind of sad that moment was in an empty arena when it was supposed to be in front of a hometown crowd and how crazy that would have been...or how crazy it would be for Westbrook to retun to OKC for a playoff series...or Denver losing their 'mile high' advantage and Utah their 'poison opposing players' advantage...

and of course, the empty lower bowl Rockets game, I miss that too.

daywalker02 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  18. TimDuncanDonaut

Virtual fans left the chat. :p

JayGoogle and daywalker02 like this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

If Clippers and Lakers gone, everyone else stay.

Do Blazers and Mavs auto advance by way of forefeit.

If Rockets gets past OKC, does that make Rockets front runner in the west.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That's the new norm IMO until there is a sure proof vaccine for everyone.