1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Best Pixies Album?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by twhy77, Feb 1, 2012.

?

What is the best Pixies album?

1. Come on Pilgrim

5.6%
  2. Surfer Rosa

22.2%
  3. Doolittle

61.1%
  4. Bossanova

8.3%
  5. Trompe le Monde

2.8%
  1. updawg

updawg Member

Great thread. Pixies are my favorite band.

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

my bro saw it twice and loved it. i did see speedy motorcycle when it was in austin though - my roommate at the time was the bassist and i had other friends in the band, which is the only reason i went. im not much of a theatre guy at all and im not really a daniel johnston fan, but i was blown away. it was quirky, weird, sad and funny - just like d.j.

it was funny b/c when i told my roommate that you posted on here and what your screen name was he laughed - said that the first night he met you he learned 3 things - you like the houston rockets, you are a democrat and you love batman.

doolittle would be in my top 2-3 albums of all time so thats an easy choice. and nice shout out to baby #13 - the last 2 minutes or so of that song where they just ride out that riff is transcendent.

but the last 5 years or so the album i listen to most is bossanova. i remember not being into that one so much when it came out - the songs arent as good as doolittle, but there is a vibe throughout that album that i really love. these days when i want pixies i reach for that one.

and since we are talking non-pixies stuff ill throw out the breeders pod/safari stuff.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GILAXLEUCiI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Yes, My wife and I came in from Austin with VoodooPope, met up with a friend from Houston, and came and saw the last show.We all still talk about it when Bluefinger comes up in the rotation. Don't thank me, it really was an amazing production, so glad we didn't miss it.

No, we don't know each other, but at the time you knew we were coming (from posts on the board and a couple of messages) and we'd intended to bother you to say hi at the show, but it was pretty crowded there (sold out, last night) and never found a moment to meet you as you were very busy getting ready for the show. I wished we had, but you really were busy.

It was icing on the cake to later find out that two of the guys in the show were from bands that we had enjoyed seeing in the past (Sprawl and Dead Horse). The whole cast really did a great job, and the production couldn't have been better.

I have since been to Europe and stopped in Amsterdam. I wanted to see some of the places that were Herman related, but didn't have much time there after Paris. I did, however, see someone at the Black Keys show with a 'Herman Brood and his Wild Romance" shirt, and had this silly feeling of a connection. The show was fresh on my mind.

Thanks again. A show we will never forget.

4. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

And yeah, trompe is a great album too, also surprised it's not getting votes, but I bet if you asked top two, it would be, by some.

5. garrinr

garrinr Member

Doolittle, no doubt... I bleed is one of my favorites off of that album.

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Too bad we don't have a video of the last Austin Pixies show of Doolittle shot on a flip cam and married with soundboard audio to share. :p

7. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Voted Doolittle. I however find myself listening to their Disclive concert releases & the MP3s of the Houston show much more these days.

8. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Trompe is what inspired this thread quite frankly. I've been listening to it a lot lately and I was like, holy cannoli, do I like this more than Doolittle. At the end of the day, no, but it was close. Alec Eiffel, Head On, Bird Dream of Olympus Mons, Motorway to Roswell. It's awesome. I'm missing the love for it here. Maybe I should give it a pity vote so that people appreciate it.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trompe is an excellent album. There is no doubt about it, but with a band like the Pixies where they never hit a slump and every single album they put out was top notch, I guess it just happens.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not on board with the thought that the Teenager of the Year album outclasses the top Pixies albums.

11. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I heard Last Splash went platinum......

runs and hides