1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Politics and Hurricane Ike

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ipaman, Sep 17, 2008.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Does it bother anyone else, the reaction to Ike from our presidential canidates?

For example, when Gustav was barreling towards NOLA, I remember Barack saying he was going to suspend his campaign and monitor the Gustav/NOLA situation from his HQ in Chicago. Mccain did something similar. Now here comes IKE and no suspending campaigns or monitoring, NOTHING...

Frankly this pisses me off. :mad:

It also just reaffirms what I already knew and that is no one really cares unless they are supposed to. I think you know what I mean by that.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Frankly I wonder why they bother suspending the campaigns anyway.

What can a prez candidate do to help us other than asking their followers to donate to the relief efforts?

They aren't President, they can't, y'know, do stuff about it.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

These candidates don't care about white/hispanic/black/asian people or coastal cities in Texas!

/kayne

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i agree it's stupid to pretend you can do anything when we all know you can't do sheeeeeet. that being said why do it for NOLA but not Houston? because there is no political gain. care about NOLA poll numbers go up, ignore NOLA poll down. Care about Houston, poll stays the same. Ignore Houston, poll stays the same. it's sad but it really is that simple.

so how do you vote for something/someone who doesn't really care about what you care about, except when someone tells them it's good for them to care about what you care about?

5. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Actually I recall them suspending their campaigns when Ike was close to hitting.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/obama-postpones.html

McCain had done pretty much the same, except during Gustav he actually went down south to consult with emergency officials among other things.