1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Politico] Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DonnyMost, May 2, 2022.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dude, you just called MTG a "leader." the rest of your post is thus invalidated.

Ubiquitin and deb4rockets like this.
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I too am against people killing babies. Thankfully, embryos are not babies. Sperm aren't babies too but I think if you want to protect life you should start there, right? Each sperm cell is a living thing and each carries DNA that would result in different babies, who knows how many special people were lost to tissue paper. I think you all should go after that next.

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No don’t. @Jontro would be imprisoned for crimes against humanity under that law.

AleksandarN and Jontro like this.
  5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I mean, that's been the Catholics' position for 2,000 years. I presume that informs a lot of the other denominations' positions.

JayGoogle likes this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

In the GOP the tail wags the dog obviously. So call her what you want but if your primary legislation being passed right now when and where you have power is only items like:

-Don't say Gay bills
    -Bullying LBTGQ kids
    -Controlling women's bodies
    -anti vax
    -overturning elections
    -etc.

The MTG's of the GOP are 100% leading the GOP. Oh sorry... I forgot Donald Trump is the leader and a much more reasonable, and rational strategist of Conservative governance. So sorry...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is all speculative BS and things you hope to be true.

Its not around 50/50 and the tick tock thing is ludicrous.

Ubiquitin, JayGoogle and Andre0087 like this.
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

While also trying to **** her while she’s underage.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's the case for every single developed country in the world save Isreal, we have actually done better than most due to our influx of immigrants and their fertility rates.

Immigration will be key if one's goal is to ease the population decline in the workforce, solving the reason for the decline in developed country's populations will be a good bit more difficult, improving the quality of life for parents may help incentivize some births but if you look at countries that have a higher quality of life and good social programs, it doesn't seem to make a difference.

The huge outlier is Isreal, they have a fertility rate we haven't seen in the US since the early 60's, I think this is a religious thing that is heavy in the culture.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Thank you for saying this and gives me hope that we can agree on at least this basic philosophy that spite voting only hurts the people that need your vote the most.

I, too, hope it's a wake-up call for the mid terms.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Hahaha, what a freaking dope:

13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I could have done without seeing Uncle Thomas at the end but his theory does make sense.

JayGoogle likes this.
  14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dam O's

[​IMG]

AleksandarN, Andre0087 and Ubiquitin like this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There's a strong correlation between a developed nation's debt level and its birth rate. Israel hovers around 70%, which is "manageable" compared to everyone else's (US, Europe, Japan, China).

It's a rough metric that can go deeper into QoL and class inequality but it isn't as simple as "women gone free, families dead" as the Bible thumpers want

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The bit about it not having much of a benefit for a liberal is 100% true.

It actually would be more impactful for the midterms the closer it is, less of a chance for the GOP to drum up their counter narrative and more of a chance of people just voting on pure anger.

Why would someone risk their career for something that would have happened eventually? I do agree that its far more likely a conservative leaked this for the reasons stated in this thread or even a last ditch attempt to sway Kavanaugh who has shown he cares what the public thinks of him.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More than that, it hurts the people who are most affected by the backwards movement that occurs in our government when Republicans are elected. That's why I get so pissed off when so-called moderate voters indicate that they are equally or even more willing to punish Democrats at the polls for being too "woke" as they are Republicans for stuff like Jan 6th or the now-inevitable overturning of Roe v. Wade.

It's not dissimilar to a family dynamic where one kid gets suspended from school for bullying and the parents give him a weak-hearted "Don't do that." while the other kid spends half his life grounded for not washing his plate after supper. For whatever reason, voters seem to give way more benefit-of-the doubt to Republicans than they do Democrats, despite the fact that Republicans have a much larger track record than Democrats of passing crazy or just plain bad laws.

mdrowe00, Lar, FranchiseBlade and 2 others like this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm not seeing that, especially not in a way that could explain such a stark difference. If you look into why Isreal has such a high fertility rate I think the biggest takeaway is the culture that was set by religion, other things you can say are the quality of life/social programs. Another factor in the cultural aspect is the effects from the holocaust, their was an attempt to wipe out the whole Jewish ethnic group just 70 years ago.

Debt rates below Isreal:

Estonia 24.82
    Luxembourg 32.61
    Turkey 42.99
    Switzerland 43.80
    Chile 43.82
    Czech Republic 46.54
    Denmark 50.21
    Norway 53.44
    New Zealand 55.33
    Latvia 55.39
    Lithuania 55.45
    Korea 58.77
    Sweden 59.73
    Mexico 66.14
    Netherlands 66.20
    Poland 68.78
    Ireland 71.58
    Israel 73.16

Birth rates below isreal:

Korea 0.920
    Luxembourg 1.370
    Poland 1.420
    Switzerland 1.460
    Norway 1.480
    Netherlands 1.570
    Estonia 1.580
    Latvia 1.610
    Lithuania 1.610
    New Zealand 1.610
    Chile 1.630
    Sweden 1.660
    Denmark 1.670
    Ireland 1.700
    Czech Republic 1.710
    Turkey 1.880
    Mexico 2.100
    Israel 3.010

18 out of 38 countries have lower debt and lower fertility rates than Isreal, just a hair off from being half

Invisible Fan likes this.