1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Politico] Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DonnyMost, May 2, 2022.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

6-3 decision -- this wasn't just the result of RBG's departure and replacement with ACB. Chief Justice Roberts came along and sided with the majority.

It's the right decision. The Federal government should have nothing to do with abortion. Send it to the states where you can have a more custom-fitting solution to the will of the people.

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Robert's had to go along with them, he didn't want to be seen as not having control of the court...which he doesn't.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

"Abortion should be left to the states - if they want to force you to carry your pregnancy to term, they can" (today)
    "Concealed Gun permits cannot be left to the states, if they want to force you to not carry a loaded AR-15 into the subway in your bag, they can't" (yesterday)

LOL - you don't have to have a law degree to see that the conservative justices think everybody else is too stupid to see what they're doing.

That's what happens when you have a rogue body with no accountability.

TheJuice, TheRealist137 and JayGoogle like this.
  4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

It's almost like the right to keep and bear arms can be found in the Constitution of the United States and the right to have an abortion cannot.

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This is the first domino to fall. The so-called "reasoning" used to overturn Roe can also be used to overturn the 1965 Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act which is the ultimate goal of the white nationalist Republican Party. After all there were far "too many" Negroes voting in the last election according to them and their orange-haired leader.

6. Screaming Fist

Roberts, at his core, is a gigantic p***y. Not surprising to see him side with the majority. I don't know if he would have decided the same way had he possessed the deciding vote.

7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

His concurring "opinion" is quite odd. It reads more like a dissent. But as you note, he didn't actually want to be part of the minority on this one.

8. Screaming Fist

What blows my mind is that the court will remain like this for the next 20-30 years at least. It's super tough to shift the character of the court in a short time period, particularly when one side is much more disciplined than the other at attempting to maintain a majority. It didn't have to be this way.

TheJuice likes this.
  9. SamFisher

Sure, the individual right to bear arms existed in the Constitution forever, it was just magically hidden for over 200 years until Nicholas Cage and John Roberts found it in the basement of the national archives when deciding Heller v. DC.

Shut up clown - nobody honestly believes this bullshit that you and the rest of the activist judges are pushing.

Getting what you want has a price, in this case it's legitimacy. Deal with it.

TheJuice and mdrowe00 like this.
  10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

The gop will fight to the death to not have ANY gun laws changed but cant let a woman decide the fate of there own body, I may not agree with abortion but I dam sure respect the right of any person to do what they want with there own body.......sure kick it to the state level where you have far right gop trump backers who have already lined up there states to not allow it. What a joke the scotus has become, I really thought the 3 trump candidates would leave there politics and views at the door, this is a court for ALL American's, not just half the country

I see the gop state all the time, you cant tell me how to live, Covid outbreak F You, you cant tell me how many guns I can have, F You

TheJuice likes this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Alito and Thomas are old. If the Democrats could ever manage to stay in f**king office it could be shifted back inside of a decade.

If they get back in the white house, both will step down to lock in this conservative court for a long time. This next election will be make or break for this country in a lot of ways. The republicans have played their hand that they are gonna go hog wild on the handmaids tale future.

TheJuice likes this.
  12. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

So you will be against a national ban on abortion then? Leave it all to the states?

13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

14. StupidMoniker

Supporting Member

The sad thing is, this doesn't even require complex legal analysis:
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    Now go find the section that says you have a right to an abortion.

Saying there is no right to bear arms but there is a right to an abortion requires just Olympic level mental gymnastics. And to then actually talk about finding rights after 200 years when they actually talked about finding the generalized right to privacy upon which the right to an abortion was founded hidden in the penumbras of the bill of rights in Griswold, literally 170 years after the bill of rights was ratified. This is a joke right? The right to bear arms is written in plain text, even though it was disfavored during a period where governmental overreach was the norm. The right to an abortion was made up because the court wanted to implement public policy.

15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member

It’s an awkwardly worded amendment and its purpose was to ensure we had militias available to wipe out the Natives for our continuous westward expansion.

TheJuice likes this.
  16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I think we can all throw a little money in the tip jar for a liberal to drive a little farther to get an abortion. So sad. It's gas money, stop being so dramatic.

It's not a big deal to drive an extra 100 miles to flush a child down the toilet.

#956 The Real Shady, Jun 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  17. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member

18. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Love small government eh?

19. SamFisher

It doesn't.

Heller - which intitially created the "individual right" - in the same way that Brown, Loving, Roe, Griswold, Obergefell, etc "created" rights, was issued in...*checks notes* .....2008.

Constitution & bill of rights was ratified in *checks notes*....1789.

Feel free to check the math yourself daddy-o.

Amiga and TheJuice like this.
  20. StupidMoniker

Supporting Member

Yes, they "found" the right to bear arms "hidden" in the Second Amendment.