1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Politico] Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DonnyMost, May 2, 2022.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He kind of has a point, probably.

Nook, Xopher, No Worries and 3 others like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Abortion has existed since ancient times and one of the impetus behind legalizing abortion not just in the US but many countries was horror stories of women severely injured or dying from "back alley" abortions.

Xopher, jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

What exactly is the point of you making this post over and over in this thread? Could you please tell me the percentage of abortions that happen right before birth? I've seen this garbage argument used by my friends that are pro-life and it's one of the most stupid ones since the majority of abortions happen in the first 15 weeks.

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

If this ruling holds and abortion is outrightly banned in several states we might see stories like Savita Halappanavar which was instrumental in getting the ban on abortions in Ireland lifted.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Savita_Halappanavar

Stories like that will be very powerful politically and if they happen this Fall will likely be a factor in the Midterms.

jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Late term abortions are very rare and several states already had restrictions and bans in place.
    https://www.kff.org/womens-health-policy/fact-sheet/abortions-later-in-pregnancy/
    "
    • Abortions at or after 21 weeks are uncommon, and represent 1% of all abortions in the US. Typically, these procedures cost well over $1,000, excluding the cost of travel and lost wages. They normally require treatment over multiple days, and are only performed by a subset of all abortion providers.
    • Reasons individuals seek abortions later in pregnancy include medical concerns such as fetal anomalies or maternal life endangerment, as well as barriers to care that cause delays in obtaining an abortion.
    • Roe v. Wade made the concept of viability critical to the regulation of abortion, particularly when it comes to abortions later in pregnancy. Viability is not set at a specific date in the pregnancy, rather multiple factors play into the determination of viability, including gestational age, fetal weight and sex, and medical interventions available.
    • Many states have passed a range of laws that restrict access to abortions later in pregnancy, by either placing gestational age limits on abortion and/or by banning clinicians from performing certain procedures."
    My understanding is that politically there is widespread support for the bans and restrictions on late term abortions. What this ruling would do is allow the banning of all abortions by states.

Nook, B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Then why would someone insist on making it legal up to the second the baby is out and breathing?

You lefties keep using this, same as in the teacher indoctrination thread: "It's not happening. But we are outraged that you don't want it to happen."

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

1. This also has health ramifications.

2. who gives a **** if someone is promiscuous? I’m not telling someone how to live their life.

Nook likes this.
  9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

If it were an actual issue, then we could address it separately if necessary, but it isn't an issue so why are you so concerned about it? I am glad it there is a medical emergency that absolutely requires going this route, doctors don't have to scramble to ensure that this is legal.

I'd be happy to listen to this argument and sort it out if it were an actual issue.

I don't get the point of your last post. Abortions have been a right in this country since the 70s via Roe v Wade. About 50 years in law. Yet we don't have an issue of what you are claiming to be concerned about. It's fake outrage since it is likely an extremely rare occurrence that it happens. Do you happen to have the number of times it has happened since roe v Wade?

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/ss/ss7009a1.htm#T14_down

About 5,000 reported abortions per year after week 21.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This guy has issues, and you may have a few, too, if you think that's funny.

Nook, No Worries and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Maybe the Ministry of Disinformation should censor him and punish me then?

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Roe v Wade doesn’t protect late term abortions, does it? Are you being this up as a possible justification for striking down Roe?

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, I was bringing it up in response to DD. I am fine with Roe v Wade.

DD explicitly said he thinks abortions should be legal even when the woman is dilating already.

I consider that an extreme position.

durvasa likes this.
  16. durvasa

Got it. Roe v Wade seems reasonable to me as a legal compromise. Give women freedom in first trimester, allow states freedom to ban abortion (with certain clear exceptions) in last trimester.

People can quibble with the way in which the Supreme Court declared this way back, but it’s been 50 years. Striking it down at this point and undoing woman’s rights in such an abrupt, extreme manner just seems crazy to me.

Nook, AroundTheWorld and Andre0087 like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Roe v Wade is similar to the law in Germany. I remember taking comparative constitutional law in the 90s and looking at it.

18. durvasa

Do you think that federal government should institute a national ban on late term abortions, perhaps with some exceptions, or leave that up to states to decide? I can see arguments either way. If the federal government is going to provide legal protections for the mother early on, for the sake of symmetry and fairness perhaps it should provide protections for the fetus in late pregnancy. But, as noted, the latter very rarely actually comes up. It’s more of an edge case.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

... in hell.

Andre0087 and Nook like this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps I am more cynical but I see what has happened in the past 30 years and that is very wealthy men - namely people like Murdoch, the Koch brothers, the Smith family - have successfully used media to push the country substantially to the right. That followed by well funded efforts on social media was the killer dagger into the hearts of the American middle.

Democrats, and the left half of the country overall, doesn't realize the crossroads this country is at. Republicans will win a sweeping election, and I bet will take the presidency in 2024 with Trump or DeSantis. There after the laws will be changed substantially to favor Republicans and keep them in power for a very long time.