1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Political commentating Radio Shows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Actsao, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Actsao

Actsao Contributing Member

I am recently needing to travel quite a bit for work during the workdays, and just started to listen to the talk radio other than sports shows, I am just curious if people who listen to the conservative talk shows like Glenn BecK, Rush Limbaugh, and Sean Hannity; agreed with those comments of the hosts? It seems that most of the time all they do is to criticize the current administration and policies, what did they talk about during the past administration, did they criticize the Bush administration and policies too? Also, I can't find a talk show that is their counterpart, is there any? I think it would be educational (to me, at least) to listen the other side as well, the constant attack is just such a turn off.

2. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Listen to music instead... it's better for your sanity. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

When I had to drive the heartland a lot, where even the napkins are deep fried, I found Dr. Laura's show very soothing and uplifting. Now, go take on the day.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Repped.

You can influence your own reality by being selective about what you let in your head.

Once the pushers get the adrenalin junkies going it's as hard to break as crack.

Just say no, to talk radio.

5. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

There are a few liberal talk radio programs out there, but they are not widely syndicated due to poor ratings.

A few years ago a group of liberal financiers bankrolled an organization called Air America, which was a liberal talk radio network. It featured hosts such as Al Franken, now Senator Franken, and Janeane Garafalo, an actress and a regular guest on MSNBC, and a number of others. The shows were aired on radio stations across the country, with special emphasis on cities with high concentrations of liberal listeners, such as New York and Chicago. The network and most of its shows ultimately failed due to low ratings. Nobody listened. Air America eventually went bankrupt and is still doing online broadcasts, but other than that it has pretty much folded.

However, there is an option open to you. Satellite radio - either Sirius or XM - has at least one channel dedicated solely to liberal talk radio, and there may actually be several. I would recommend Sirius because it has no commercials on any of its music channels. Satellite radio is an especially good value for people who travel a lot because it is delivered from a satellite, so you virtually never loose the signal. This might be an answer for you. You can have it installed in your car relatively cheap. You might want to check it out.

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

NPR does a good job of informing.

7. Actsao

Actsao Contributing Member

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I don't necessarily have to put it in terms of Conservative vs. Liberal, I just find it hard to believe the whole premise of these shows are to talk about how bad the other side is, yet they can keep it going. I guess liberal folks don't listen to talk radio, since they really can't keep any show going?

So, what did they talk about prior to the current administration, seriously? The candidates, right? How about those non election years?

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Liberals rather watch/listen/read first-hand news. They can analyze and form their opinions by themselves.

9. langal

langal Contributing Member

Lemme guess.

Liberals are just smarter and better people than conservatives...

I used to listened to Air America and quite frankly, they were just as biased as Rush, Hannity, etc. Most political talk show types are as hypocritical as politicians. Hell - Franken is a politician now.

John and Ken in Los Angeles are pretty good. They are very opinionated but don't follow party lines.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Conservative talk radio is actually pretty entertaining once you take it for what it is. I rarely listen to the radio at all anymore but I do watch Fox News a few times a week and laugh nearly as much as I do during the Daily Show.

11. vlaurelio

I didn't say that. I'm just saying liberals don't listen to talk radio as much. That's why Air America is off the air.

I admit I love the daily show though.

I didn't say they're any less biased than right-wing talk radio. But the fact is they off the air because liberals just don't listen to them.

I'm pretty sure there are smart and dumb liberals just like conservatives.

But I do know conservatives love talk radio and liberals don't care for it.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

When I was in college I didn't have a TV in my dorm room, so pretty much every night I was always listening to either Sports Radio 610 or Supertalk 950. I'm pretty liberal, but I was reasonably comfortable listening to Mike Reagan or Kent Hamblin back in the late '90s before all the Fox people got shows. Funny, the one thing that hasn't changed since then is all the "BUY GOLD" live reads (by the hosts themselves); although back then it was around $200/ounce or so, so it actually would have been a good investment.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As I've said before, I listen to loons like Limbaugh from time to time, in the car, under the theory "Know thy enemy." Just to see what idiocy is spewing forth upon the populace from the radio. It's like listening to a bizarro version of basso, lil texxx, and Trader_J rolled into one, babbling incoherently. Rush, at least, used to be funny. He hasn't been funny for years, though, which is a pity. During the 1st Gulf War the guy was hilarious, a real riot. Seriously!

No longer. Now he's like a menopausal maiden aunt, bitter at the world and life in general, eager to see the bad in everything except himself and a few suck-ups. Bummer.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'll listen to shows like Rush whenever I'm in my car during the day. I hate the local radio stations, and love me some talk radio. Typically, I just listen for entertainment. I don't agree with everything they say. But it helps pass the time.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I actually thought it was just demographics. Radio's ratings are probably primarily based on drive time audience, people with the longest commutes who probably work in the city but would rather live in the suburbs either because they have families or just want a less urban lifestyle. (Even here in Omaha, people at my job drive in all the way from Lincoln out west and Iowa in the east.) That means they're probably older and whiter, which means they're also less likely to listen to sports radio or most contemporary pop music, which makes conservative talk radio the natural beneficiary.

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The only time I listen to politics is when im out on the road. Unfortunately, there isn't much music to be found other than country. I prefer to listen to Dave Ramsey if I can find him, then a far distant of Hannity, Beck then Rush. If you think those three guys are bad, trust me, there are much worse on the local networks. Rush does a good job of name dropping of specific members of the administration, vs lumping it in as 'Obama'.

I rarely watch the major news networks. I listen to talk radio because there really isn't anything else to do while on the road. I recognize talk radio as entertainment, and the TV networks are just the same. There is much more I could be doing around the house than watch groups of three people argue and interrupt each other all day long.

17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Sean Hannity once made me almost crash my car. That obnoxious voice and delusional thinking...my foot was digging into the accelerator! If you have a talk show, and you invite the public to call in, you have to at least let them finish a sentence beforee you cut them off with your wisecracks.

I agree with the poster who said to listen to music. Find a song you know and sing it at the top of your lungs. Enjoy your day and have a peaceful drive. :)

18. Steve_Francis_rules

No, they spent the Bush years trying to blame everything wrong with America on the party that was in the minority.

19. vlaurelio

Or labelling the administration critics as traitors, unamerican, siding with the enemy, etc...

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I’m a moderate conservative, and I absolutely LOATH political talk radio. (Have I mentioned that before? :) ) Occasionally I’ll listen, but only for the unintentional comedic value. Hannity is great for that. Such an uninformed buffoon. A walking talk-radio host cliché. He’s like a parody of himself. Really bizarre.

If you think 99% of talk radio hosts/callers/listeners are a complete waste of space, do yourself a favor and find the Phil Hendrie Show. Get on iTunes and find his podcasts. They guy does nothing but make fun of the whole genre of talk radio. He voices characters that “call in” with all these outlandish opinions and listeners are so stupid that they think it’s a real person and call in and argue with the “guest”. There’s really nothing like it. The man is a genius.

EDIT: Here is the Master at work.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U0nlMnHss8U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U0nlMnHss8U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#20 ima_drummer2k, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009