1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Police Officer Uses Taser On 10-Year-Old Girl

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I don't think the cop was right, but I do think he was following procedure. And as for the parents being allowed to do the same thing...I'd be for that IF tasers were proven to be safe. I don't know much about tasers, but I believe it's all about the least liability right? While I personally would try to restrain the 10 yr old physically, I do see how that could raise issues of abuse allegations with potential bruising. I like the pepper spray idea. How safe is pepper spray? It shouldn't be too difficult for cops to carry it on their key chain right?

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think you're barking up the wrong tree on this one. Most people wouldn't be too pleased if a parent were to handcuff a child either. But, if a cop is making an arrest, he needs to do so. I think cops should be given more leeway in the use of force in an arrest than a parent would in discipline. Excessive force, of course, is not excused; but, some force will occasionally be necessary in arrest, even with children.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think I'd rather be tased than pepper-sprayed.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

LOL

Like the father said..if you can't figure out to control a 10 year old girl, you don't need to be a PoPo :eek:

5. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Ok. I'm not saying people won't make shaky ground of it and try to sue everyone for everything... they can and do (try)... my point was just that there are policies in public schools and training for just such a situation, and that police would do well to follow those guidelines before shocking a 10 year old.

He suggested I didn't give a solution. i highlighted it and reiterated. You back up what I'm saying, but I'm not sure I think it's any better than you, only that such policy would be better than tasing... for the kid... for the officer... for the department.

I'm not saying it's an ideal situation, but I suspect it generally goes over better than it would if they were issuing tasers to all teachers and administrators with a license to shock 10 year olds.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I just don't think there really is a "good way" to control her if she was really being violent, kicking him and resisting arrest. The pepper spray suggestion cracks me up. Something that will burn the crap out of her eyes as opposed to a shock?

The truth is, no matter what this cop did it would sound bad if written in a paper. If he put her in a chokehold, if he judo tossed her, if twisted her arm, etc. Nothing was going to be a good solution. A taser has no long term impact though and is quick and easy.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think this is a good thing to think about. Which is least harmful?
    1) physically restrained by a cop
    2) tased
    3) pepper sprayed

They do have these new light devices that I've seen on the news where it's supposed to blind people. I think it's intended to be more of a crowd control device.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I still don't understand how a cop is not able to subdue suspects like 10 year olds, old people, etc without resorting to a taser, I just don't get it. They should only be used if a cop is in immediate danger.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Of course he can restrain her without using a taser. She can also get hurt fighting his restraint.

I think people are overstating how bad a taser is. She didn't get shot.

10. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Never has this been more appropriate:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yV4H8z-lMnk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yV4H8z-lMnk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

She was 10 years old!

11. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Bull****. If this happened to one of your boys I bet you'd be singing a different tune DD. This post reeks of hypocritical assclownery.

She's freeking 10! Yeah, fine, a brat - I think that's probably accurate. But since when do we taser brats as discipline? ****, since when have the police become nannies?

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Has there been any studies done to show potential harm of tasing vs potential harm of physically restraining, specifically for the young/old/weak. I get the tasing as a safety precaution for cops who are afraid to tangle with a dude who can handle himself. It's the tasing of the young/old/weak that we're all debating here. Some keep saying it's cowardice, but I always thought it's a procedural rule because it's the least harmful device. Am I wrong? Really, what's the least harmful way of arresting a young/old/weak person?

13. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

This doesn't shock me cops think they can do whatever they want, well thinking about it they can. But what does shock me that a mother would call the cops on her 10 year old she needs to learn how to beat her ass.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dada?;)

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

U Kno?

Like I said. If a parent did this folx would be jumping up and down screaming bloody murder.
    I recall the MANHUNT for the lady caught on the WalMart cameras for 'shaking' her kid
    now
    It is ok to TAZE THEM?

Discipline by Cattle prod is ok now? . .. or is it ok just for cops?

Rocket River

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

no DONT TASE ME BRO reference yet and this thread is how many pages?

y'all are slacking

[​IMG]

17. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

Hell yeah, a good dispatcher not only turn calls over quickly and with good information but they also have the ability to be a first responder and sort through the BS before they attach the call to a unit.

A few weeks ago we had a 14 year old call in and say...

Boy- "My mom told me if I was going to leave to go out tonight I needed to call and let yall know bc she is tired of my **** and doesnt like me leaving without her permission

Dispatch- "Um, okay well I guess have fun and be safe."

Boy- "Really? So I can leave?"

Dispatch
    - "Well I dont have a problem with it, make sure your in before curfew, or we will arrest you." (That was a lie, maybe a small ticket if he is an ass)

Boy- "Okay, thank you, bye!"

----Few minutes pass----Another call----

Dispatch
    - "911, what is your emergency?"

Mom- "Well my emergency is my son left and im pissed off"

Dispatch- "Was that your son that called a few minutes ago?"

Mom- "Hell yes, and you gave him permission to leave!"

Dispatch- "Well what was I supposed to do?"

Mom- "Well I thought with my damn tax dollars you would send out an officer to stop him!"

Dispatch- "Your the parent, thats your job"

Mom- "Whatever, yall are good for nothing!"

Dispatch- "Well thank you ma'am, call us back if he doesnt show up before 11, then we will put a BOLO out on him"

-----CLICK, LINE DEAD------

Thats how you deal with r****ded parents in Texas, I guess in Arkansas they just tase the little Brats. In our city, its too much paperwork to discharge your taser therefore we use it only as a 2nd to last resport (Last being a firearm).

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'm conflicted on this one.

One on hand, I think the coppers use their tasers a bit too hastily. One the other hand, I would rather them do that than shoot someone or get into a fist fight with someone (why do cops always lose the fights with bad guys, btw?).
    On the other, other hand, it is a 10 year old girl so I doubt he would have had much trouble restraining her through good old, wrestling. On the other, other, other hand, my heart smiles every time a bad kids gets subjected to pain.

My conclusion:

This cop should not have tased but since I hate bad kids it's funny (this time)
    The mother is probably incompetent as a parent
    I wish there was a video of this so I could laugh

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Are you a Police Office? Or somewhat Affiliate?

What would be the Police's response to a Parent that was reported as Tasing child?

Rocket River

20. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

Sadly, I've been pepper sprayed. I wish I had a better reason than because I accidently sprayed myself (curious about whether it would come out in a jet or a cloud and not paying attention to wind direction). Point is, it is unpleasant, and somewhat incapacitating but not really a big deal. I've never managed to be tazed, by myself or anyone else but it sounds worse. Being cuffed isn't quite the same because while it doesn't involve pain it involves the emotional frustration of being subdued. For a young girl it is the added reminder that any man is stronger than you are, I can understand why she took the measure of kicking him in the only place she would know she could hurt him (although I realize it does seem like overkill).

In any case, when these are the options, parents need help in avoiding raising kids who are getting too hard to control. Parenting is a two person job and I would advocate that if you have children and just don't like each other anymore you should tough it out and stay married for the sake of the kids. At least it would teach them to own up to the consequences of their bad decisions. If nothing else it enables you to play good cop, bad cop (as in, "just wait 'till your dad gets home!" not "cut it out or I'll taze you!")

And apart from needing help from other parents, parents need help from the people around them as well. When people lived close to their extended families they had that help. Now most of us spend most of our time away from other adult family members. If you see a mother struggling trying to keep several young kids under control most people will ignore it or criticize it. I've had plenty of strangers criticize me for various things they think I do wrong (like letting my toddler sit down on the floor of a department store while I try on shoes). As a parent I think if you see something you think warrants a rude comment you should probably offer to help. This certainly goes for discipline. Rather than call CPS when you see someone spanking a child you could give some (kindly delivered) suggestions as to how to handle it differently. And if you haven't got a better idea you should take a moment to thank your parents for having had to put up with you at that stage.