1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Police Officer Uses Taser On 10-Year-Old Girl

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

my Agenda. Point out the ridiculousness and overuse of Tazing

Rocket River

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Fair enough.

I do this whole devil's advocate thing because I think there has to be something other than tiny wang syndrome that is making cops go tazer happy.

I figure if we figure out what that is and fix it, we'll have fixed the problem, rather than just busting the chops of the cops themselves.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

We should just drug more kids. Or... since we are drugging more kids all the time, perhaps we should just drug all of them.

I mean, it's a lot less alarming in a video than tazing is.

4. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

Your mom is ****ing stupid. And she could use a good tazerin.

Cops: 10-year-old boy says he shot his father dead to end punishment

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Tuesday, September 15th 2009, 10:15 AM

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico — A 10-year-old boy suspected of fatally shooting his father told officers he did it because the man was punishing him, according to a police report made public Monday.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2009/09/15/2009-09-15_10yearold_boy_sh.html

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Out of curiosity, what do we think the cop SHOULD have done in the situation? Be serious, not the "taze the mother!" responses.

The Thadeus made a lot of good points though about their behavior, particularly the frat mentality that develops (though he didn't use that word) between some cops. That said, Thadeus seemed to imply that cops DON'T protect your lives and your property, which is far from true. The existence of law enforcement institutions protects your life and property even if they never get involved with you personally.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i agree. They should be using the traditional knight sticks and guns.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

did this girl have a gun?

8. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

Doesn't matter.

9. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

This is a pretty weak argument. The cop knew this 10-year old girl wasn't armed. So there are situations when a 10-year old is armed ... okay, so that means that all 10-year olds should be tasered?

If that's not your argument, then all you're doing is taking issue with some minor wording that, in itself, was not put forth as an argument - I don't think anyone here would disagree with a cop using a taser on anyone who had the potential to use deadly force.

As I said in my post ...

10. Convictedstupid

What kind of parent calls the police when their kid is having a tantrum?

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

My bad. I should have written "absolutely no reason for a grown man to taser a 10 year old who is unarmed, or not in a battlemech suit, or not in a nuclear powered submarine with his/her hands on the 'launch nuclear warhead' button...." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah, well your mom's a w**** and I tasered her last night, if you know what I mean.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Everyone in this thread is making assumptions. All we have to go by is the article. None of us were there.

And yes, I have a HUGE problem with the officer tazing a 10-year old, but at the same time, the police shouldn't have been called in the first place. It's a 10-year old girl. You really have to call the police to put her in timeout?

REEEEEALLY.....

[​IMG]

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

[disclaimer]not trying to be a jerk[/disclaimer]

what if the girl is throwing things around. what should the mom do?

I agree, we're all making assumptions

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

[​IMG]

16. RickRock713

RickRock713 Member

He should used his pepper spray instead.

Then tackled her to the ground and cuffed her.

No need to whip out the taser guns.

17. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

yeah...I'm going to go ahead and ...assume... this is one messed up family.

Not only does mom call 911 on her 10yo (apparently not for the first time), but when the cop shows up at the door, the little darling kicks him in the nuts. Sad all around.

Still got to keep that Tazer holstered, though.

18. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

What the hell else was the cop supposed to do?

The girl was being violent. 10 years old or not, getting attacked in the groin hurts.

What should he have done? Tackled her? Pinned her down as she punched and scratched and kicked him? Like others have said, forcefully restraining someone who is violently resisting can cause much longer lasting damage than a shock. (Which causes none)

I understand blaming the parents, as I do as well, but the cop didn't do anything wrong. I seriously hate cops in general, but it's not the dudes fault here.

She kicked him in the ******* nuts. If it were me I would've punched her in her ****ing vagina, 10 years old or not. She was lucky she got off with a stun.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

On the flip side, if the girl was THAT out of control, maybe she should've been tased.

The whole thing is really stupid. Mom shouldn't have called the police (IMO), and the police shouldn't have tazed her.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I touched on it a little, earlier. Based on what I know about it, I think the cop should have declined to intervene and left. What I don't know is if the 10yo committed some kind of significant crime. If she did, he'd have to intervene. The article says the girl was arrested, and I don't know why. Was it for assaulting the mother? Or the officer? Something else?