1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Police helicopter needed to arrest Spurs player

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Not Chaney, Aug 31, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

Thursday, August 31, 2000

Dean Narciso
    Dispatch Police Reporter

San Antonio Spurs forward Samaki Walker was arrested in Columbus early yesterday morning after police said he sped down Rt. 315 on a motorcycle at more than 100 mph.

Police charged Walker with reckless operation, fleeing police and driving without a valid license, all misdemeanors.

Walker, 24, was a standout player at Eastmoor and Whitehall in the early 1990s.

About 2:30 a.m., Officer Phillip Thomas spotted a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R motorcycle southbound on Rt. 315 near Bethel Road in moderate traffic traveling in excess of 80 mph, according to the traffic ticket issued Walker.

Thomas pulled up behind the motorcycle and turned on his cruiser's flashing lights, but not siren, which is standard policy for freeway stops, said Sgt. Earl Smith, police spokesman.

Instead of pulling over, Walker accelerated and exceeded 100 mph, at which point Thomas said he halted the pursuit.

About a minute later, a police helicopter spotted the motorcycle still southbound on the freeway approaching Lane Avenue. The motorcycle exited the freeway and traveled west on Lane as the helicopter followed it with its spotlight, police said. The motorcycle stopped for a red light at Kenny Road, then turned south onto Kenny and pulled over after a short distance.

Thomas arrived and arrested Walker.

Walker was taken to the Franklin County jail, where he paid $145 in bail and was released about 7 a.m. He was scheduled to be arraigned this morning in Municipal Court.

Nice move, Walker. I guess Bobby Phills means nothing.

------------------
    "UNBEATABLE"

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

wow and We wanted this freakshow?

------------------
    President of nothing

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

At least he stopped at a red light.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

4. TraJ

TraJ Member

Why on earth would the guy not stop? It's not like he can't afford to pay the ticket.

------------------

5. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Cool! He was spotted about 10 miles from where I lived when I was a kid, in Dublin (well, the last two years before we moved to Texas). We used to rent movies from a store on Bethel Road.

My mom graduated from Whitehall High School.

He's lucky he didn't get killed-- not because of the speed or anything like that. 315 is one of the ****tiest roads I've been on in the last five years, and I used to take Howard Lane in Austin on the way home from work. [​IMG]

OK, back to the topic at hand...

------------------
    Just because I spent five years trying to get a hold of a hammer, I don't have to spend the rest of my life driving nails. I hate this hammer and I hate driving nails.

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I guess he didn't stop because he didn't have a licence - maybe he was scared that he'd get busted for that....

As for why he stopped at the red light.....???

------------------

7. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

I live close to where the pursuit began and the funny thing about it is.....The helicopter did'nt have far to go. The CPD helicopter facility is located adjacent to 315. As with most cities, the copters are up 24/7 and difficult to elude.

------------------
    "UNBEATABLE"

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Are the Spurtlets about to become known as "Jailblazers South"??? [​IMG]

------------------
    Bring It!!

9. dc sports

dc sports Member

Actually, they are pretty boring when you compare them to some NFL teams. Three misdemeanors? That's nothing!

Even in Houston, one of our basketball stars beat that with assault and battery (Barkley / window incident.)

------------------
    Stay Cool...

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Kagy-
    I live in Columbus and I work on Lane Avenue (where he pulled over at)!
    Also I use to live on Bethel Rd for a couple of years until I bought my house in Hilliard.

------------------

11. BrianKagy

Hey, cool. Lotsa people from Columbus on this board... [​IMG]

We lived at 158 Acton Road, in the Clintonville area (North-Central) from 1979-1984. Then we lived at 6998 Carrick Court (Dublin) for another two before moving to Texas. If you'd like to take the tour of Kagy's Childhood Homes, hey go right ahead. lol...

Lately I've really been missing Ohio. [​IMG]

------------------
    Just because I spent five years trying to get a hold of a hammer, I don't have to spend the rest of my life driving nails. I hate this hammer and I hate driving nails.

12. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Bk-
    It's a great time to be in Ohio with the renovated horseshoe opening tomorrow & with the NHL expansion Blue Jackets opening rookie camp today (and the regular season on 10/7).
    Place is really buzzing with both the Buckeyes & the Blue Jackets!
    Don't worry though traffic is still terrible (orange barrell capital of the world) so as soon as you drive into town you realize why you're glad to be gone!

------------------

13. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Did he have an explaination as to why he ran??

------------------
    Don't you have anything better to do?

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's great, Kagy lived in Clintonville!!!

I can't think of anything more appropriate.

[​IMG]

------------------
    Cheerleaders are just dancers who've gone r****ded.

visit www.swirve.com

15. BrianKagy

Even more appropriate is how much better (bigger house, nicer neighborhood, better schools) things got once we LEFT Clintonville! [​IMG]