1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Polarized 3D glasses ??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDream, Apr 24, 2010.

1. DaDream

DaDream Member

I bought some polarized 3D glasses for a movie , but they ended up being the wrong kind . got them off ebay and I think they were from Avatar from a theater.
    Well my kids have been wearing them around the house and think they look cool. Would wearing these glasses have any negative effects on their eyes? You hear about people getting headaches and such... just wondering
    thanx

2. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

They'll just want to drink a lot of Coke.

[​IMG]

3. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I do not know whether it will hurt their sight, but I personally would not think that them wearing those glasses for extended periods of time is not good.

The reason people are getting headaches is because those glasses cause your eyes to change their focus. I can't think that using those glasses other than for watching a movie can be a good thing.

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Your sunglasses are polarized. All it would do is make some light tinted.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Why would you buy some when you get them free at any 3d movie?

DD

6. SunsRocketsfan

sounds like you got ripped off. It also sounds like you dont know what you want. You said you bought some 3D glasses for a movie. You do know you have to a new 3D Capable TV right???
    If if you did have a 3D capable TV they usually come with 2-4 3D glasses made specifically for the TV. You can't just buy 3d glasses hoping to get 3D.

Also dont let your kids wear those glasses. Its definitely not good for their vision. There is a reason when you go to a 3D movie they say don't wear those glasses outside the theater.

7. jh72684

jh72684 Member

contrary to popular belief, polarized 3d glasses do not change the focus of your eyes. they are safe in this regard. they work by filtering the light that goes into each eye so that your left eye sees something slightly different from your right eye. when your brain puts the two together, you get a 3d image, kind of like an optical illusion.

that being said, you shouldn't let your kids go outdoors with them on. since polarized glasses are tinted, your pupils dilate to let more light in. however, they don't protect from UV rays like sunglasses do. therefore, you would be letting in more UV rays which could damage your eyes.

if they're playing with the glasses indoors, away from sunlight, they should be fine.

2 people like this.
  8. DaDream

DaDream Member

thanks JH.
    It was a downloaded movie. It needed the old red/blue glasses and bought polarized ones on accident to answer the rest of yhou

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If you stare enough with the glasses on, you can see through women's clothes.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Invisible Fan

This man knows what he is talking about.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

probably bad on your eyes. I heard headaches can result as well.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kBY6pF42I-c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kBY6pF42I-c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

13. SunsRocketsfan

those wont really give you much of a 3D image at all. If you want 3d save a little $$ and buy one of those new 3D movies. Otherwise regular TV will look 25823582358232592235923 times better than the red/blue crap

14. Major

Major Member

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the headaches aren't caused by the glasses, but by the fact that you're tricking your mind into turning a 2D image into a 3D image. You shouldn't have the headaches if you're just wearing them around. I imagine they would just function like sunglasses (without the UV protection).