1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pokemon card 101

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by asianballa23, Dec 20, 2016.

1. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

My kids want pokemon cards for Christmas, which I know crap about..... and they don't just want any regular cards, they want these so call "mega ex" cards.. so exactly what are these and where can I just get a few of these mega ex cards? Yes they want to real ones not the fake ones.

2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

They're available on eBay. Just know that if it looks like it's a really good deal it's fake.

3. DarkHorse

You should expect to pay at least $20 per card probably. Depending on which specific ones your kid may have in mind.

You could also go to any card shop and they'll have them.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Target and Walmart are selling them online. Are those them? Which ones they will want the most is the question. But they are trading cards, so whatever Mega Ex you get they'll have fun talking about trades.

5. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

In store at Toys R Us, Target, and GameStop. Amazon too but they are a bit more pricier.

6. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

7. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

I noticed there's a difference between "real" and "tournament legal"... are these 2 different type of cards?

Jontro likes this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think that seller might be basketballholic.-- he calls himself, rubiomagic

The dude has a very good feedback score of over 200k comments, so willing to be he's a professional trader, and trustworthy. But if Darkhorse says there are $20+ ones out there, maybe these are fairly common, albeit Mega.

Maybe drive by Watch Tower or 3rd Planet in Houston and ask what would be special.

9. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

yeah I called, these places only sell by the pack

10. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

#10 LCAhmed, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  11. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

TARget has them by the board games

12. DarkHorse

Hey man sorry I went out of town. I asked my son and according to him those you posted are fake. He said he can tell because of the font. But yeah, generally for the real Mega EX cards you're probably going to have to pay $15 or more.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

People are going crazy over the Mcdonalds happy meal pokemon cards. The 2016 pikachu is 100 bucks. Jump on the hype train

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pokemon was never my thing. I did, however, get deeply into Magic the Gathering at one point in high school. One of my kids asked about it recently and got some cards so we could play. They've added so much to Magic the Gathering I can't even figure it out anymore. Weird rules and cards with so much text explaining them that the font is nearly microscopic. Kind of ruined it for me...

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You're old and want simplicity. Make way for the new.

[​IMG]

RunninRaven likes this.
  16. Aware

Aware Member

Man, you had to be real careful walking around school with holographic pokemon cards back in the day lol

Pour one out for all the homies that had their shinny charizard card taken up by either teachers or bullies

Yung-T likes this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I had what would probably be equal to I guess 50-75$k or more worth of Magic cards stolen. I had at least two of all the mox colors I think of white or red I had like 5 of them. I had a beta black lotus. Shiva dragon Moat probably two beta chain lighting. And 100+ more cards that are valuable now. All ALL! stolen a lot of them were given to from a girlfriends brother.

Yeah I just looked at some prices on eBay. My Black lotus would be worth 20-50k itself it looks like.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The wave was huge in the 90s with Pokémon but I never really liked the cartoon. I remember seeing kids with the zip up binders full of pages of cards.