1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Point Guard Heavy Teams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by csc177, Jul 18, 2016.

1. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Um?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...kely-traded-minnesota-timberwolves-owner-says

Minnesota Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor said during a recent interview that he doesn't think the team will trade Ricky Rubio.

Rubio has been the topic of widespread trade speculation ever since Minnesota drafted point guard Kris Dunn with the No. 5 overall pick last month. Rubio also publicly acknowledged before the draft that the 2016-17 season could be his last with the Timberwolves.

But when asked about a potential trade involving the Spanish point guard, Taylor told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that he doesn't "see that as a likely possibility."

2. basketballholic

Just a matter of when.

3. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I never did. You and the others want to take the ball out of Harden's hands. Let Harden do what has made him elite.

4. lionaire

lionaire Member

Would love to have Tyus Jones. I think MDA could turn him into incredible floor general.

5. jogo

jogo Member

I don't think MDA or Morey think we need another point guard so I don't think we're looking. Harden seems to be buddy buddy with Bev anyway so I don't think Bev would go to being a backup. Now if we could trade him for a great PG then maybe but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. We'll go into the season with Bev/Gordon/Prig/(maybe GP).

6. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Damn!! I knew you were one of my fav posters for a reason. This confirmed it.

:grin::grin:

7. basketballholic

That's not true either. I want to put the ball in Hardens hands more. Him being a passer takes the ball out of his hands.

You are simply attempting to distort what I am saying. This man set a turnover record trying to pass the ball out of his own hands. Stupidity is wanting to see him do it even more while further limiting his own scoring opportunities, the thing that he is one of the all-time greats at doing already.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Link to this half?

9. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Devin Booker please.

10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Not fooling anyone with this racist bull****.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yes, exactly. I'm not crazy about Bazemore, but as the younger version of Trevor Ariza, that had to be the plan.

When you factor in the Rockets really have no tradeable assets, getting a SF to sign, and then using Ariza as trade bait to fill other holes made the most sense.

So if you signed Anderson and Bazemore, and moved Ariza in a deal that brought back a guard... you might be in a very similar position as currently... except you'd be taking the risk on Ariza trade value, and on Bazemore's ability to be a better younger Ariza.

Now you have the risk of Gordon staying healthy. The upside is, if Gordon does stay healthy, he's probably a better backcourt player than anyone Ariza would net in return. And Ariza is still tradeable as you can go small with Bev, Gordon, Harden at times.

Is there a package involving Ariza that could get you a better version of Ariza in return? Of course not.... not without finding a off the bench gem.

I don't anticipate much roster movement from here on out. I honestly don't think they even have the assets to acquire a Tyus Jones. If the Twolves move Rubio as they likely will, Dunn and LaVine both strike me as capable as playing PG and SG, with Jones being more of the slow-down playmaker type. And so do you want Rubio, do the TWolves want Ariza (maybe), and do you want Rubio enough to lose Ariza when your backup SF position is KJ McDaniels or Sam Dekker? I don't think so.

Basically, a long way of saying... SF is likely as much of a priority at this point as PG, where you can have both Bev and Gordon. So who are the SF heavy teams?

12. Play07

Play07 Member

tyus jones value just went up real high, dont see us having the assets, but will probably just rubio keep him him and dunn for the future. timberwolves made so solid moves

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really for what? playing well in summer league like hes supposed to? don't overreact here.

Ray McCallum won the summer league mvp just 2 years ago and look at him now. he's barely hanging onto 10 day contracts now.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

For a MDA's position-less team, people here appear to be obsessed with positions.

16. photojoe

photojoe Member

"if Gordon does stay healthy..."

This is what we have been saying for basically Gordon's whole career.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Rockets just need a "combo guard" (1/2) that can shoot and attack the basket and be a decent passer. They have that in Gordon, but another one to pair with Harden would be best. Then you could rotate those 3 guys at the 1/2 positions, always having 2 of them on the floor at all times.

Similar model to PDX: Lillard/McCollum and PHX: Bledsoe/Knight etc.

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

I'm actually not sure we wouldn't have been able to afford Gordon as well as Bazemore. If Ariza and Bev were to be shipped out for Noel as rumored, then it's possible we could've signed all of Gordon, Bazemore and Anderson with another move or two. Hard to tell at this point.

SFs is one of the most difficult positions to fill. Hard to see how we find a suitable replacement for Ariza at this point.

19. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Well, maybe I don't see your vision accurately.

This is my logic: Harden plays best with the ball in his hands. No doubt about that. Bringing Lawson in proved that. Rubio - your favorite - requires the ball in his hands to contribute offensively. You can't have the ball in both players' hands.

Furthermore, Rubio can't shoot, so he will do nothing for you if Harden is creating (which is what he does best).

It appears the Rockets agree with this logic. All their moves appear to be doubling down on Harden creating with the ball & surrounding him with shooters. PG has clearly not been a priority. So - regardless of how I see it or how you see it, the Rockets see it that way, so it might be time to move on.

Regarding the Rip Hamilton analogy, for those of you who didn't catch it - I intentionally picked a player inferior to Harden. You all want to take away what the former MVP Runner-up does best so he can be at best a poor man's version of an inferior player. Harden's been playing 20+ years already & is pretty much the best at what he does. He's not going to learn how to play a completely different way in a couple months and be as good. Let the dude stick with his core competencies.

20. CertifiedTroll

What ever team has Reymond Felton has a pretty heavy PG.

1 person likes this.