1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Point Forward] Shane Battier in the post

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by the_hustler, Feb 7, 2011.

1. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

Thought I would share this snippet from Zach Lowe's excellent blog

1 person likes this.
  2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

That part of his game I admit is under utilized when he has smaller players he is playing against I feel.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Battier jump hook is only second to Mark Bryant's in Houston Rockets lore.

1 person likes this.
  4. lean

lean Member

His lefty hook is almost as deadly as with his right, that's one thing that makes him good in the post.

5. alethios

alethios Member

Right there with his HOF dunks.

6. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

He almost threw down a mean one handed dunk on Chandler when we played the Mavs. I couldn't believe my eyes. Battier is a great player.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Battier was the next Prime Grant Hill coming out of Duke. What happened? :confused:

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That was just Duke hype. There was always a big gulf in their respective talent levels. Grant had all-star potential and became one. He could have gone to win a championship in a Pippen like role,if he hadn't gotten hurt.
    Shane is a better defender,but he is and always will be a solid role player. Nothing more than that.

9. saleem

He doesn't utilize it enough and neither does the coach. That makes him one dimensional on offense most of the time.

10. delta69er

delta69er Member

I agree with you there, but didn't battier average like 14 ppg the season before he was traded to us? It kinda makes me wonder how he managed to put up points like that with his pretty limited offensive arsenal.

11. fattz

fattz Member

I like an article like this will only help his trade value...

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Shane+Battier

Battier is going to the post a lot more this year.

The number of shots he attempts from <10 ft from the basket, but not "at the rim" increased from about 0.7 per 40 minutes in the 3 years past to 1.9 per 40 minutes. He makes about 47% of these shots, not a bad percentage. he also shoots 63% on his "at the rim" shot attempts (1.5 of those per 40 minutes, essentially unchanged from years past). I would think most of those are <10 ft shots are the post-up jump hooks he takes. It's a pretty signicant portion of shot attempts (9.1 per game).

13. saleem

He started to pay more attention on defense and became relatively one dimensional over the years.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

No, that was his rookie year. It's not that hard for most NBA players to average 14 if they play enough and shoot enough. Battier played nearly 40 mins and shot as much as a third option would.

1 person likes this.
  15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member