1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Podcast] Howard on the clock, Lin/Asik on the block?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Agreed, the podcast was wrong to believe that the Rockets can get Josh Smith for $11M. He just turned down a $15M/yr contract from Atlanta and is coming off a year where he just made $13.2M. Granted he may be willing to take less to come to Houston and may hate Atlanta, but no way he's coming for only $11M/yr. I doubt he will be willing to take less money than he made last year, especially when there are other teams out there with cash.

Also, Josh Smith will be 28yrs old in the coming season. That means in a couple of yrs, when his forthcoming contract ends, he will be over 30. That means his contract asking price may be declining as he exits his prime. This may be his last big contract, so I doubt he will take $11M/yr.

2. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

JEREMY LIN + MOTIEJUNAS + ROYCE WHITE + TERRENCE JONES FOR JOSH SMITH

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

We talk about that in the podcast. There are numerous reports that say otherwise, and you really can't get Howard and Josh Smith without moving a minimum of one of them.

4. basketballholic

that's terrible overpay.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's also not what he said at all but people keep misreading the recap and/or misunderstanding what the words he used actually mean.

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

Thanks Clutch! I agree with Carl, no way we get Josh for cheap. He won't be willing to take a pay cut and even then, I'm with Morey on this one. I rather have two good centers and Jones / D-Mo in the rotation than Dwight and Greg Smith whose not a real center.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Code:

Right, and I'd have to go back and check to see if Lance presented it that way, but Daryl Morey would NEVER say that a player is untouchable or 100% will not be traded. What he did was dismiss that rumor as another GM asking about their availability and saying the Rockets were not shopping them, then praised them. He'll say the equivalent of 'we're not looking to trade them,' but not unequivocally 'we will not trade them.'

If one or more are traded though, it will be interesting to go back and listen to that audio.

BTW justtxyank -- thanks for posting the recap when you heard it live. Without that, we wouldn't have known some of those things since two of those items were removed from the online version of the interview.

8. basketballholic

Clutch,

I think the frequency with which you are doing these podcasts is perfect. Once every 10-14 days especially in the off season. Hope you keep up that pace.

9. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

First, great job.

Second, let's get Dwight here first. I would prefer we ship off Lin, Jones and White. We can give Atlanta some cash.

Maybe with D12, Harden, Parsons, Smith and D-mo, Beverly and maybe you bring back delfino or a wing like him you are able to convince Sergio Llull (sp) to come over now

Oh and of course we still have Asik and he would be of great value plus a good trading piece.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Not if they send Korver (sNt) or Teague.

11. CCTXROCKET13

CCTXROCKET13 Member

I disagree.. Yeah he would lose about 16 Million over 4 years and yeah that's a lot of money to us but to him he's made alot of bank already and if he has a chance to win a couple of rings with The Rockets and to play with his good friend Dwight I think its a easy choice for him to take a little less money instead of playing 4 years on a lame team with ZERO chance for a ring. Just my thought though.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, Lance was speculating there -- I don't really think he'll be had for that price, but I think $15 million for Josh Smith is a mistake. If you have a core of Harden and Howard, it may be a mistake you're willing to make for a few years for the sake of contending now, but I don't know if I see that kind of value in him.

Versatile, athletic, can get out and run, can score around the basket and (most importantly) can defend, but in a halfcourt set with Howard (or Asik), that mid-range game and out is not attractive.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

15 mil? Stay away. Stay far away.

(I'd stay away anyways but that's different altogether.)

14. CCTXROCKET13

CCTXROCKET13 Member

Its going down in H-Town

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Great job guys...as always.

If Smith can be had for $12ish, that's not bad, but anything much over that would be foolish, especially considering how much upside Jones and DMo have. In getting Smith, you are also moving on from one of those prospects. You simply can't develop both DMo and Jones with Smith playing 30+ minutes a night.

16. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

You are a dumb ass GTFO please with this crap.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

18. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

If it means we keep Asik then no.It's not an overpay. Nontheless the Hawks would laugh at that offer unless Asik is part of it

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Thanks Clutch, good listen.

I'm in the camp that just doesn't want Smith(at all really) for 15 mill a year. No way he should be making more than Harden. I'm hoping the team can find a better deal on a PF if Asik is to be involved in a trade.

Lin, I'm ok with moving for almost anything. Great guy, just don't like him much as a player. If JL was more of a consistent threat from the outside, it'd be a different story.

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Thx Clutch for teaching me how to pronounce the 2 new Euro player's names.