1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Podcast: Feigen on 610, explaining why Adelman wasn't retained

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Apr 18, 2011.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

it was more about not being informed and the disconnect with coaching staff regarding those trade more than the trades themselves.

Kind of like they didn't really consult with them or have them weigh in, from what the article hints to.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Elie's name is coming up a whole lot...i think he's either shown interest or Les is high on him...you dont hear Sam's name and he's also an ex-rocket with some memorable history here.

3. worzel gummidge

No projected superstars on the roster. So they want to develop role players? When did the Rockets start competing in the Development league or NCAA?

4. Htown's2kFinest

Kyle Lowry could be that guy. Kinda like Thib and Rose but to a lesser degree.

Player with all-star upside... Terrence Williams...

Thabeet still has plenty of potential too. Imagine all those guys developing.

5. PeppermintCandy

It could be that Adelman had more of a problem with whom the Rockets got back, and less with whom they got rid of.

I think Adelman has been around long enough to realize the value and necessity of trading expiring contracts. But I think he may have been baffled that they did not go after someone who could help more in the immediate future. I'd guess Thabeet especially made little sense to him.

But more than anything else, it sounds like he's most frustrated by having been kept out of the loop in regards to the trades. That makes me wonder if Adelman felt out of the loop in past seasons as well, or if Morey decided to shut down communitcation this season only. If it's the latter, it could mean Morey made his decision about Adelman long before the season was over.

6. PeppermintCandy

I normally don't care for Justice's writing, but he did a great job summing up the situation in that piece.

7. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I think player development is just something Morey and our FO belives in.

To quote Morey from the Jonah Keri Podcast interview:

8. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I don't care if we are rebuilding or contending, when you have a hall of fame coach who gave you 2 winning season despite the adversities, you don't let him go no matter what.

9. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

RA is a superstar coach les.

10. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Rick has done an awesome job here in H-town.

11. anchel

anchel Member

If we had started 17-8 and finished 26-31, would you be saying the same thing?

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

A team that gets better from beginning to end probably has better coaching than a team that gets worse.

13. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

We need a defensive minded coach who makes Bud and Kmart play better D. I love their offense, however, we can't get stops we need when both are in the game along with Scola. Too bad we can't subsitute offense for defense everytime down the court.

14. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

There are no quick fixes to the situation and nobody is giving up a quality allstar for what we have on the roster. So packaging our defensive liabilities of Bud, Scola, and Martin can get us who? The only superstar who may want out is Chris Paul. All the rest are completely comfortable in their current situations.

Therefore, we need to build a TEAM from within.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

so if it wasn't about money then it wasn't les. if it wasn't about who he's playing than it wasn't about morey either.

so where was this "disconnect"?

it must be the direction of the team. adelman needs to win now since he's closing in on retirement. the rockets are looking to rebuild / develop young talent. adelman. a good example was battier. budinger and lee were both more productive than shane, and needed more minutes to develop further, but adelman gave shane the big minutes. morey trades him forcing ricks hand... i think the "disconnect" was that coach and team were going in different directions.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I have been an advocate and defender of Morey for years. I think he's one of the better GMs in the league. But I really think this is a dangerous move. I don't blame Adelman for not liking the Battier and Brooks trade. I don't blaim him for not playing TWill. I think he did a fantastic coaching job this year, as well as during his time with the Rockets. We never had the defensive inside big we needed and that was not Adelman's fault. I just can't see us improving via a coaching change. The players loved and respected him, and he's one of the greatest basketball minds in the history of the league. If he wanted to be here, we should have found a way to keep him. To the extent that there wasn't good communication between the management and coahes, that's on Morey. I don't think a coach should dictate personel decisions, but he should definately be included in the discussion. This is the first major chink in the Morey armor from my point of view. From here forward, he alone owns the success or failure of this team. The replacement names i've heard bandied about do not excite me at all. He better already have someone special in mind, or this move doesn't make much sense to me. When 70% of the fans want to keep the coach, when most all the players want to keep the coach, when a coach does as good of a job as Adelman has without any allstars, how on earth do you push a guy like that out the door?

17. passdarock

passdarock Member

As each day passes, Morey is getting higher and higher on my ****list.

Adelman was not the problem. He was a great coach considering the team he was given. Morey believes the young players should see more time on the court but Adelman has clearly stated they were not ready.

18. PeppermintCandy

It sounds like Morey has no problem with tanking after all.

19. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Sounds like Morey understood that our core wasn't good enough to compete for championships.. Morey = LTF? :p

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If he's guaranteed to get the player he wants, maybe not. But I think he's reluctant to "tank" in order to get a draft pick, where the range of outcomes is less certain.