1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Podcast: Feigen on 610, explaining why Adelman wasn't retained

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Apr 18, 2011.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Didn't see it posted.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2011/04/18/why-was-rick-adelman-not-retained-as-head-coach/

Talks about a lot of stuff, including coaching candidates (doesn't bring up any new names though).
    Says the situation could have been saved, but disconnect between Adelman & front office ultimately too big. Adelman felt lack of ongoing communication.
    Say Morey never told Adelman who to play and won't in the future either. Says Morey told him that GM's that tell their coach who to play are "fools".
    Not looking for a yes man.
    Money was and will not be an issue. Les most likely to go for a "superstar coach".
    Also mentioned that some trades fell through that Adelman would have been on board with.

2 people like this.
  2. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Feigen is going over talking points handed down from the organization. What a piece of *****

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Dude wtf? I know you're angry, but this is getting out of hand...

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

some good points though. Morey did seem to have to with a lot of it as well.

5. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

What's out of hand? In my opinion Feigen has been Morey's biggest supporter since he became GM. I don't take anything he says as fact

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Sure does sound like Feigen is putting out a Morey vs Adelman vibe more then Les vs Adelman.

7. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Hmm, a superstar coach. Hey you know what, there's a guy who is 8th on the all time wins list, has 2 Finals appearance, famed for his offense, had a 193-135 record with his former team, I think we should hire him!

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Whats going on?

A whole lot of this.

Obviously. So when did you get word this was going down?

It was inching along for quite some time. Absolutely, throughout the afternoon. Started hearing all day. This could've been saved. We knew last week they would get together and have to talk the other into it but it was still possible. Today? No, wasnt happening. It was a longshot to begin with. It was a case where Daryl would have to talk Rick into coming back and he wasnt going to do that. Daryl had questions of his own so it was mutual. When you have two sides both thinking it should go this way, not a lot to turn it back the other way.

You brought up it was mutual. Fans will look for someone to blame. Do you believe it was right down the middle so they're going seperate ways?

Hard to say right down the middle. Where do you put the line? If the Rockets said you're not coming back, it dont matter if Rick wanted to. Probably the same way. You can put the line where ever. They're still in charge and make the decision in the end. Rick had many questions about the direction of the team and operation of the team. That had to be bridged. I dont know that much was done to bridge them.

What were those issues?

The trades he objected to--all three this year were over his objection, particularly the 2 trade deadline deals. Its not just that he didnt agree with those deals and they were done for future seasons while he was worried for this season, he felt there was a lack of ongoing communication. It was more of this is what we're going to do and we'll let you know as opposed to being a part of every part of the planning and goal setting. In fairness, the Rockets did go after several deals that he would have considered just what he was looking for but couldnt pull them off. If you look at my two stories last week, he had a bunch of quotes. One was "You cant feel like you're in a bunker. We started to feel like we're in a bunker." Meaning the coaching staff and players. I used the word disconnect. He agreed and used it a few times in his quotes. That was it was. He felt seperate --the coaching staff and players from the FO. They had to bridge that and that wasnt going anywhere at this point.

Do you believe a lot had to do with Morey and guys wanted to get a younger or cheaper guy in there?

Definitely not. They're not the ones paying them. Leslie's MO has been to go for the biggest one you can get, go for the star and they dont come cheap. If one is available, I'm sure that's where he'll look again. He wont save anything there. So I dont think they pass up superstar for first time coach. Now it might be a first time coach. Superstars dont always happen and might not be available. Younger? I dont know about younger but think they will look at someone who will be more eager to use the data they provide, the analytics, the metrics, where they can produce anything you imagine, they can give you to understand trends or something about the other team. Rick was more into the box scores.

So do they want a yes man?

No. Not a yes man but maybe dont throw my info in the corner of the room. The thing about Daryl is he never will tell a coach who to play or didnt with Rick. Daryl believes the GMs who do that are fools. You dont tell the coach who to play. You might disagree but you know why he did it and he might be right and you could be wrong so just dont say it. You cant be a yes man if they arent telling you anything.

They're gonna need a new HC. Any lead or any inkling?

Too early. Some of the people you want to know about are occupied. If SVG falls in Orlando, hes a guy in mind. Some top assistants out there. Thibodeau was guy last year. Sikma and Turner will get interviews I think. Malone in NO, Casey in DAL, Budenholzer in SA, Frank in BOS, those are top assistants. Looking at former coaches, Mike Brown -he dont get credit because of LeBron but in the business people know, D comes from coaching. You dont throw LeBron out there and have good D. They had a great D. Mike Brown will get definite look. Mike Woodson could too. Those are the names that jump out. You cant say who will be the one because right now, some are coaching. You cant say a favorite. Throw Brian Shaw in there if he doesnt get the Lakers job which would be funny. The Lakers players want Shaw, the Rockets players wanted Adelman, ehh sounds like a trade. Shaw to Houston, Adelman to the Lakers. Could you imagine anyone else being a better fit besides Jackson for the Lakers than Adelman?

Good fit. Could argue the Rockets need a younger energetic coach.

Thing about that is that is when the players normally dont work well with the previous coach. You want someone who can relate to the players. For whatever reason, they loved Rick. They all want to play for him. They wanted him. Normally when you get the former player, recent player in the league, its because you're having a problem between coaches and players. Thats not the case here. If you want a guy who will sleep on a cot in his office, work 20 hours a day, the Thibodeau style, then you go to the assistants --a Budenholzer or Malone.

Appreciate the time. Keep up the good work.

Thanks. Good talking to you.

3 people like this.
  9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't know how much he's supported Morey, but he has been a huge Adelman supporter.

10. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

It's obviously referring to a coach that can handle SUPERSTARS.. Adleman doesn't like egos(and he shouldnt). But it's no suprise that almost every superstar today has a huge ego..Lebron, Kobe, Melo, Bosh, Amare, KG, T-Mac(when he was here).. it sounds like they might be leaning towards Mike Brown..

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Got this same vibe as well. None more than from this:

12. Nook

Nook Member

It might be for the best anyway, Rick is 65 years old... that is not young for a rebuilding team.

13. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

The team has been "rebuilding" for 4 years under Morey. A 65 year old Adelman still had them winning. Simply not true

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Do what? We were rebuilding when we were taking the Lakers to seven games in the 2nd round of the playoffs? Go to sleep, calm down, and wake up with some logic in the morning.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Haha:grin:

Yeah we havent been rebuilding for 4 years. Not quite. You dont aquire Kevin Martin for "rebuilding". You dont resign a 30(?) year old Luis Scola for "rebuilding". You dont sign Brad Miller for "rebuilding".

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Call me a JVGOF but I want that coach with the cot in his office.

#2 post in GARM history was that one detailing JVG's daily schedule. It began,

4am - Wake up. Begin self-loathing.
    5am - Brush teeth, look in the mirror. Ugh.

(Someone plz link this if they know where it is!)

(P.S. #1 goes to that YOF who talked about Yao's haircut.)

17. durvasa

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=2207136&postcount=13

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

What do the RA supporters think about him giving a thumbs down to the trades? I'm kind of surprised he was against both...i can understand him wanting to keep Battier for a playoff run, but Brooks over Lowry? The way Lowry had been playing?

19. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

As frustrating as I'm sure it was for Adelman to have key guys traded over his objection, the team did kinda sorta totally play better afterwards. No doubt Morey was equally frustrated with the coaching staff not taking full advantage of his advanced metrics, as well. Morey is a young, hungry guy who probably does put in 20 hours a day. Rick is a great coach, but he ain't putting in 20 hours a day. I'm sure that if the Rockets were making the playoffs and doing some damage their differences could be glossed over easily, but the mediocrity treadmill is immensely dissatisfying for everybody at Toyota Center, from the owner on down. I don't think Morey or Adelman wanted the additional pressure of a strained relationship to make climbing the Southwest Division any harder than it already is.

20. durvasa

Who says it was Brooks over Lowry? He personally told Aaron that he wasn't going to be traded, and then Morey trades him. That probably didn't sit well with him.