1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

PMP Certification

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Landryman14, Jul 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Landryman14

Landryman14 Member

Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide on pursuing my PMP certification. Does anyone here have their PMP? Is it worth pursuing for better career opportunities?

1 person likes this.
  2. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Totally depends on what field you are in....

If you are in Engineering, then it really isn't that big of a deal. If you are in IT, then it is a big deal.

I am in Construction Management with a Global EPCm Firm, and I got my PMP and it hasn't really done much for me. All it shows is that you have been certified by a 3rd party to understand the flow of a project. Only thing is, every project is different, and not all of them follow PMI standard.

3. Landryman14

Landryman14 Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'm currently in a supply chain role, and wanted to branch into a project management type role.

4. Rockets2K3

Rockets2K3 Member

cwebb, what did you use as study material to get your PMP? And how long did it take you?

5. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

If you're trying to transition, then it makes sense to get the certification. Note that you need to take continuing learning credits once you get it to keep it current. Also, note that you need hours of actual project work before you can get the certification.

That being said, 3 weeks reading the Rita Mulcahy PMP book is all you need. Find an older, used version on Amazon or Ebay and just power through. Her software is pretty good too.

6. YaosDirtyStache

PMPN aint easy

7. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

In my Masters program at UH, I took two required PM courses that were PMI tailored that pretty much set me up for the examination. My work experience as well.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Thanks for asking the question. I'm also curious to hear if it's helped anyone else.

As I've been skimming supply chain jobs online I've seen it required for several positions I'm interested in.

1 person likes this.