1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Plumbing] Adding a new bathroom to a concrete slab?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeremiah, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

I'm buying a house with a potential, separated guest house in the back. At this juncture it's a nice 20x20 insulated, fully drywalled, roofed and powered shop. It's the biggest draw for me with this house, since I think that if I do it right, I can turn it into a man-cave/guest house, which will increase it's value nicely.

My problem is that it has no plumbing. I'd like to install plumbing, including a bathroom. Getting the water out there isn't an issue, it's the drainage. I've done a lot of remodeling but I've never dug into a pre-poured slab and it makes me a bit nervous. I found what I think is the solution- raising the bathroom floor to accommodate the drainage, therefore eliminating the need to go into the slab.

Anyone ever done a project like this? Drawbacks? Ideas?

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Are you planning on doing everything (plumbing included) yourself?

Are there any city or county codes that will force you to get permits & inspections or is it more of a <i>Don't Ask, Don't Tell</i> project?

Even if you go with the raised floor plan, are you going to dig the trench from the workshop to tie into the existing sewer line or a plumbing company will be contracted for that?

3. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

I haven't checked into codes and regulations yet. It's a fairly rural city. That said, the house is on one acre in a neighborhood with similar lots. It's also fenced in by an 8-ft privacy fence. I've tied into a sewage line before, so I plan to do it myself if I can get away with it.

My biggest concern is the drainage pipe coming out of the side of the structure. Coming from the East End of Galveston where this is fairly commonplace in 100-year-old houses, I'm worried that it's going to get flagged if I try to sell the place.

4. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I have faith in your ability to do all of the needed work.

Just that there are concerns that regulations and paperwork are going to be your biggest obstacles in getting the project done.

If you ask too many questions about permits & regulations, then you become visible on somebody's <i>radar screen</i>.

If you don't ask any questions and decide to <i>put your head down and just do it</i>, then you run the risk of trouble later on.

Good luck.

5. Kate81

Kate81 Member

I think the best thing to do, is probably get a estimate of how much it would cost for you to pay someone else to do this. Doing a job like this, you could run into a lot of problems if your not experienced in jobs such as this and thus lead to pricey costs.

6. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

We did some remodeling a couple of years ago to expand our kitchen. One of our thoughts was to move a half-bath about 10 feet to allow us the room to expand. We had several contractors come out for estimates. All of them said the same: we can do it, but the cost of that one part will probably triple the cost of the project.