1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Please stop starting Eric Gordon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bo6, Mar 18, 2019.

1. jogo

jogo Member

His stats are better as a starter. But I trust MDA to know when to start him and when to sit him.

BTW, Gordon leads our team in +/- and did last year as well.

hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  2. icewill36

icewill36 Member

He has been playing well starting. I say leave it for now

3. smokieethabear

Gordon has more fun starting.. he won't be having fun anymore if he becomes the 6th man again..

chadyang and hakeem94 like this.
  4. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Ego is stephs size. Klay will rise up and not be bothered at all bro

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. igotwhipscollectingdust

Seems kinda redundant starting him with Harden and Paul but I guess it’s working.

6. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

I literally just said this in another thread. Gordan is a good player but he brings a different energy off of the bench. you can tell he plays different with the starting group and second

Bo6 and hakeem94 like this.
  7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Yeah... tell that to Tucker the next time he is hounding Durant / Klay. In case I wasn't being clear, there is much more to defense than the ability to contest a shot at release. Do you not remember Chuck Hayes defending centers that towered over him?

Ego might be shorter, but he is built very strong for his size and can outmuscle Klay. If he can stay in front of Klay and contest each shot attempt, that will be as good of D as any other player outside of Tucker or Shump might provide.

#27 chenjy9, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  8. PWR

PWR Member

This season (last 15 games)...

3-man lineup of Paul, Harden, and Gordon on the court at the same time:

201 minutes (big sample)
    113.3 offensive rating (Wow)
    100.2 defensive rating (Wow)
    +13.1 net rating (Outstanding)
    45.6% rebound rate (Terrible)

Summary:
    Those 3 in the lineup together have blown opponents out. They work well together. The rebounding sucks, but the 3 man lineup is very effective. I don't think Gordon starting at the 3 is the issue. I could make an argument that Tucker starting at the 4 is the rebounding issue.

#28 PWR, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Bo6, clos4life, clutchdabear and 4 others like this.
  9. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I disagree...I told everyone at the beginning of the season it's a good move to start Gordon for the simple fact that how u was the most effective last year anyways with him on the court with cp3 harden. N the only reason u keep him on the bench is because u didnt have a Comparable option to do it instead of him so it was the better thing to do. This year u have house n Austin. Those guys are typically 6ty man type of guys on other teams....like Gordon when on has liget allstar talent. In a league with 5 allstars starting we had to adjust. I know it sometimes dont look as good as last year but u have to fig out for him to work as a starter. In the long run it will be better for the team.... I look at team as what is the least pain of all the options...again I always go back to my cp3 take(why u would rather have harden play more on the ball). I make that point not because harden makes better decisions with the ball then cp3 but because I look at it which one would be worst without the ball(harden) so to maximize the team u give most of that duty to harden cause credit to cp3 he can do both higher then harden can.

That brings me to gordon....of course u can have Gordon go to the bench n it would be good. But if u can get him as a starter going we would be unguardable n be able to blitz teams from the jump. N the combo of house Austin I think equals Gordon off the bench production. We have to measure to teams that have 3 4 allstars in the lineup...its a dif league. U have to adjust

Oh n u getting his blue up for u can trade him for butler next year heheh

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Tucker defends KD, EG defends Klay and Harden defends Dray. Rox are 3-1 with this scheme why tf would you mess it up?

Using your logic, our final lineup in the last few mins will have EG finishing games so might as well get the rotations set for that matchup to be honest.

HP3 likes this.
  11. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Man u so smart...I didnt have all the fancy number but just my eye test n last year when u needed to win told me this.

N I been saying it all along it was tucker that is really the issue...n not because of the reason most would think....like u said it is his lack of rebound but to me because they use him as more of a corner 3 guy so how can u rebound if ur job is to space. So it's not all his fault its scheme

N that's where I come to the ariza take. He was good for us because he was a capable rebound at his position. So basically we kind of inverted tuck n ariza rolls. I think to be good now. Tuck should be the space guy at the corner. Gordon should slide more to that role since 1 Gordon would be better at shooting the 3 n tuck would be better rebounding then gordon

PWR likes this.
  12. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Naw I'm a house guy....but r aight now I want Gordon starting cp3 Clint harden Gordon are locks there....tucker is the guy to move if anybody.

N honestly I know everybody gonna hate this but u know what we could use that would solve alot of things......... a Ryan Anderson pre gun shy type of player at the 4. I honestly would see if we can take another burn at ryno next year for a cheap price...

Crazy I know but my bbq IQ tells me good ryno would make this team unbeatable

13. HP3

HP3 Member

See Tucker is def a player where stats do not tell the whole story. Dude is the best defender on our team. No one can has the combination of perimeter defense and help defense that he brings. And no advanced stat has been able to do that yet. Tucker also plays alot of minutes so that factors in too.

14. PWR

PWR Member

I get all that. I like Tucker. But, the thread is about removing Gordon from the starting lineup. I have made a case to show that Gordon, Harden, and Paul work well together. Rebounding is where we suck...BAD. I think having a 6'5" power forward is the main culprit. Rebounding should be more of a priority for that position.

hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I generally think we should bring Gordon off the bench, but don't think we should just yank him right now. Let's let this good streak play out. If we win 11 of the next 12 like we won 11 of the last 12, then I say let's keep Gordon in there. These are crazy numbers and Paul/Faried/House can actually put up a good amount of points anyway. If we run into some problems, then we'll switch it up.

roslolian and hakeem94 like this.
  16. Johnbutte

Johnbutte Member

I'd start Faried. Tucker would be a great 6th man.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

We will suck bad from there whether Tucker is in the lineup or not. I mean since the all star break we have been playing great defense so maybe we can be efficient defensively despite the rebounding?....Idk

PWR likes this.
  18. JW86

JW86 Member

Bo6, clos4life, Hakeemtheking and 4 others like this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah net rating is the priority. Who wins the game the team that has more rebs or the team that has more pts?

EG hasn't been rebounding well but he has been the Rox's no 1 scorer ever since Harden started playing with injury and as another poster said the net rating with Harden, Cp3 and EG has been outscoring opponents by 11 pts, thats obv more important then rebs. If House outplays EG then ok you can start House but until that happens EG should start he has earned it.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Exactly Rox have won 11 of last 12 and lost 1 game to freaking GSW by 2 pts.

It woukd be the height of idiocy to change things up now if it ain't broke don't fix it.