1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Please answer these questions:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketfat, Feb 19, 2003.

1. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

1. Why did Rice play 35 minutes tonight, including the last 5 minutes of regulation, and ALL of both OT's, after being out for 2 months, sucking ass before those two months, and sucking throughout every second of tonight's game (i don't give a flying f**k about his 3 in OT, so please don't bring that one blip up when answering this)?

2. Why, after going to T-Mo in the closing, crunch-time minutes of the Heat and Utah games, did he not even see the floor tonight?

3. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are Rudy's 2 end of game plays, depending on the score:

Down 3 points : inbound ball to ming near top of key, let francis come around a screen and pop a 3 from the top of the arc.

Down 2 points or less: get ball to francis. let him dribble the clock down to 5 seconds, drive wildly to basket, jump in the air, throw ball blindly to anybody with the same colored jersey as him, let them jack up an off-balance shot.

4. Is Glen Rice THE most unproductive, waste of space you have ever seen on the basketball court? Is it humanly possible to contribute less in 35 minutes of game than he does?

Thank you. While I'm posting, I may as well provide my analysis on tonight's game, and other things:

Did we get hosed on Mobley not getting a foul called at the end of OT1? Yes. Did we deserve to win this game? Absolutely not.

For those of you who thought Mo T had a good game, you are wrong. He had a good 4 minutes in the 4th quarter. Other than that, he sucked. He is not a smart defensive player, misses his switchoffs, etc. On offense, his favorite shot is a jumper a foot inside the 3-point line, which, it is obvious that teams have started to give to him whenever the hell he wants it, because he makes about 2 out of every 10 of them. That's his favorite shot, and our other PF's favorite shot is a 3-pointer. Kenny Thomas, BOY DO WE MISS YOU. We have 5 more wins minimum if KT was still on the team.

For those of you who thought this game is Mobley's fault, you are wrong. And this is coming from somebody who is sickened by Mobley 99% of the time. Let me explain something to you: Kobe is in another world. He was making tough, tough shots, getting every ticky tack foulscalled whenever he drove to the hoop, all with Mobley glued to him as well as anybody can d up Kobe

Finally, I can't bring myself to make a post without bashing Rudy T (the T stands for terrible), so, here goes. I don't care if you are a Rudy hater, a Rudy basher, whatever. We can all agree on this: Rudy can't motivate this team, and he can't get them to win. That is the #1 indicator that he time in the sun has passed, and a change needs to be made. I personally think that he is clueless, and it has gotten to the point where I grit my teeth when they show him on the sideline chomping his gum, with the lost, dumb, innocent puppy dog look on his face.

That's all the venting i can do for one night....i have to conserve some energy for the idiocy and frustration to come tonight in Phoenix.

2. YaoFan

YaoFan Member

good points, except, well, uhm... give me a second ... ... ...

3. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Member

Agreed. We are going to be a below .500 team soon. Good lord, how can this happen?

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I would have been perfectly happy if he'd been left on the injured reserve for the rest of the year. His shot's no where close to what it used to be, he's slow, and his defense leaves much to be desired. Posey can't shoot worth beans either, but his defense is a major upgrade over Rice, imho.

5. Yetti

Yetti Member

I said it 10 times, now the 11th. Leave Rice on the IR and give our young players a chance to have playing time experience.

6. Live

Live Member

Taste of Texas

It's a restaurant off I-10 I've been hearing good things about.

Anybody else been?
    Thoughts?
    Suggestions from the menu?

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Good points.

However, weren't people saying the same things about Don Nelson about 3 years ago?

DD

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

If you go to Taste of Texas, you get steak. Period. Pretty good, from what I hear. But you better not screw up steak in Texas.

Now back to the Rockets...

9. Achebe

Achebe Member

girl, don't go away mad...

We need a collective, schizophrenic-swoop to take the board.

Everybody, stand by your man! Who's with me? Everybody close your eyes. Everybody exhale (how did you read this with your eyes closed). Everybody reset their expectations, and fandomness. Now everybody do the banana cheer... and clap your hands, face level, really quick. I need an R!!!

10. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Member

R

Somebody give me an "O"

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Can't you give yourself a big

O

:D

DD

12. Stone Cold Hakeem

Did you notice Rice was on the floor for our comebacks?

Did you notice he wasn't when our starters were handing the Lakers the game?

13. ewfd

ewfd Member

I'm so sick of people saying we didn't deserve to win this game.

Just because we played bad according to your standards has no bearing.. we played better than the Lakers, and the refs gave them the game.. like they're so often prone to do..

Lakeritis - a sudden, blinding, uncontrolable rage towards all NBA officials.

14. GATER

GATER Member

The guy played 35 total minutes and I recall almost all of the overtime which was when we lost. The Rockets had their best success with Kobe when they used a hard double on the PnR. The hard double was non-existent when Rice was in the game.

Don't even try to equate getting back into the game with Rice's presence...that will not fly. Don't make me go back to the tape...it could be embarrassing for Glen and you. :D

15. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

ewfd,

the fact that it is debatable whether or not we played better than the Lakers speaks volumes.

we were supposedly coming off two of our best, most intense practices of the season, have suffered some serious letdowns recently, and got a GIFT with shaq not playing.

we didn't step up to the challenge in a big-game situation like we should have. this team should have manhandled the lakers without shaq, if we have serious hopes of making the playoffs.

there is no consistency whatsoever with this team. every damn game is a crapshoot.

the lakers, for grinding through this game with one capable scorer, and minus their best player, vs. a team who, on paper, completely should have outmatched them, are who deserved this game. they wanted it more.

16. xiki

xiki Member

Wouldn't a better question be 'why wasn't Posey or Hawk on Kobe?' Cat did what many others have not -- they all could not contain Jordan II.

17. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

GATER,

thank you, but, isn't it strange that this point about rice even has to be argued???

i don't understand what freaking game you people who still praise rice have been watching this season.

he is absolutely worthless. this isn't my opinion. it is a fact.

18. theguent

theguent Member

Rocektfat-

While I agree that Glen Rice is absolutely horrible and I long for the day his contract expires, the question remains, who else would you have gone with last night?

Posey and EddieG obviously did not show up ready to play- they were both sloppy and emotionless from the start. That was very dissapointing considering this was such a crucial game.

As Bill Walton would say, our forwards are flat out Teerrrible. But, Glen is the only one amongst the group who's three point shot has even a remote possibility of going in. With Francis in the offensive rut that he was in last night, and with the Rox running their offense through the post with both MoT and Yao, Rudy needed someone who could hover around the 3 pt. line so they could run the inside-out game and hopefully get some baskets.

And while I again stress that I despise Rice with an ubridled passion, I will concede that he is a better spot up shooter than Eddie, Posey, TMo or Hawk. Like Francis, they just weren't falling for him last night.

Also, I think that Rudy was hoping that Glen's bitter departure from the Lakers would serve as a motivating factor and inspire something more out of him.

19. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

One last shot at a showcase...

20. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

the guent-

obviously we are far past the point of this being a remote possibility this season anymore, but, you know who, 50 games into the season now, should have been in in that situation?

BOSTJAN MOTHERF**KING NACHBAR

if rudy desperately needed a player who can jack a few wide open 3's throughout the course of 35 minutes of playing time, and who sure as hell would have contributed more in other aspects of the game than rice did, or rice can, what is the freakin harm in putting nachbar out on the court?

and, i hate to hammer this into the ground, but rice obviously can't even shoot for crap anymore. the guy is getting PT based on past performance. and i'm not talking about past performance for earlier in the year...i'm talking about past performance such as 5 years ago. he brings NOTHING to the table.

i can't write any more about him without risking a coronary, so, i'm going to stop now. but don't tell me that, even on a crap shooting night, if you left posey or eddie out there for 35 instead of rice, that they wouldn't have outproduced him considerably, and contributed in other areas of the game.