1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playstation 3 questions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nolen, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

I did some searching and didn't find the answers to these questions in the forum, so sorry if this has been covered already. A new 42" plasma is arriving next week and I'm looking to buy a ps3 for blu-ray and gaming.

I know that Sony is making the ps3 with the Cell at 65nm now, but is that for all models now, or some? It started with the 40GB model. Is that still the case now, or do all new ps3s have the 65nm Cell in them? I hear that Sony will be moving all major ps3 chipsets including graphics down to 65nm sometime this fall.
    If I buy an older or used model, do I want the 40GB from last fall or later to assure that I have the 65nm chip?

How many of you guys use keyboard and mouse on your ps3 for FPS games? I see there's a logitech wireless keyboard out there for ps3, and a USB keyboard as well... but can't find a wireless mouse yet. Can I just get any wireless mouse and pair it to the ps3? Are there some games that support it and others that don't? Does it work smoothly? I refuse to use something other than mouse and keyboard for FPS.

Have any of you installed linux such as Yellow Dog on your ps3? How is the performance? Can you get flash installed and watch youtube on firefox?

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Just the 40GB PS3s have the 65nm Cell AFAIK. The new 80GB PS3s will probably have both Cell and RSX at 65nm. The old models use 90nm for both IIRC. I might be wrong since there's no real way of knowing unless you take new PS3s apart, but that seems to make the most sense. 45nm probably isn't too far away either, although I don't know if that matters to you.

Not very many games allow you to use a M&KB, which is very disappointing IMO. The only one I know of off the top of my head is UT3. AFAIK, pretty much any USB or bluetooth mouse and keyboard will work. I tested out a wireless mouse and keyboard (using a USB hub) a while back, and they worked fine. I think there is some accessory (called the FragFX I think?) that offers a PC-esque control system for all games, although I'd much prefer it if developers just simply let you use any mouse and keyboard.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

You can pretty much plug in any usb mouse or keyboard, and use any blue tooth wireless one.

You can't use them in games except maybe a few games (none that I know of).

It sucks. Use a PC for FPS, they suck on the consoles.

Can't wait to get Madden on my PS3 though.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

UT3 allowed a mouse. I am pretty sure it will catch on. I have never used my wireless mouse I got for PS3. The keyboard on the other hand I use all the time.

5. JD2010

JD2010 Member

6. DaDream

DaDream Member

I have a ps3 I pretty much use just for gaming and movies. I have only got on the internet a couple times (wifi). and noticed the buttons for certian sites. If I had a keyboard could you go to any site on the web with the PS3?

7. JD2010

JD2010 Member

you can go to any website without a keyboard.....

on screen keyboard....

8. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

FragFX works on any game. Best used for games where you have to aim with an analog stick.

I've used it for COD4, Uncharted, Army of Two, and even MGS. I've used it on the HAZE demo but since there are no sensitivity settings in the demo the movement of the aim is very choppy.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Just press the START button when in the internet browser. It brings up the URL spot for you to type any website.

10. JD2010

JD2010 Member

is it really that good?
    ive kinda gotten used to playing with the regular six axis controller.

11. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I'd recommend it but the only problem is it's very hard to find. It seems like a discontinued product.

It has a dial to change sensitivity settings on it which I have to do for basically every game. It's basically your sixaxis controller split in half. with the left side basically remaining the same but the right side integrated into a mouse with all the buttons on it.

I can't snipe worth a crap with the analog stick but the FragFX makes me a better shooter which doesn't say much though. :D

I can't live w/o it for COD4. I do have to say if you weren't big into PC FPS games using a keyboard and mouse then you could probably do w/o it but if you are like me and came from games such as counter-strike and battlefield then this is a step in the right direction for simulating M&K functionality for the console.

Who knows when they will develop M&K for the console for most of the games out there :(

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I got a question. Everybody has been telling me that the controls for NCAA football games on PS3 are totally different than those for PS2. Is this true?

Thanks for helping my nephew out yesterday JD! :)

13. JD2010

JD2010 Member

no problem.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Its true. Turbo is R2 for example. And hot route is completely different. You can remap most of the controls though. My advice though, get used to the new layout. I did, takes about 5 games.

15. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

Excuse my stupidity, but what is the difference between a 65nm chip and a 90nm one and how important is it to get a PS3 with a 65nm one?

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Holy.....that sounds completely bonkers. They don't have some sort of old school or classic controller configurations on there?

17. RC Cola

65nm chips are, of course, smaller. It can end up consuming less power while creating less heat and noise. For systems that overheat easily, this would help improve reliability (see 360 for example), although for the PS3, it isn't really a big deal. So for the PS3, I think the main advantages would just be getting a system that consumes a bit less power and isn't quite as noisy...although even the early PS3s are pretty quiet, so I don't know how much quieter they get.

I like to keep track of it, but I tend to use it as a way to guesstimate when Sony might drop the price of the PS3. These chips are generally cheaper to make as well, and since they consume less power and create less heat, other components can be made cheaper.

18. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

RC Cola ftw, lol. I knew you'd have the answer. :)

Thanks for the help, everyone. It would be SO lame if I can't use keyboard and mouse for all my shooting needs. I can't stand playing FPS with these console controllers, ugh. I'll just get an inexpensive wireless keyboard & mouse and see what works. I'll want them for linux use & web surfing regardless.

I'll look out for the 40GB. Or maybe I'll hang on for the new 80GB to come out. Do we have an estimate for its arrival?

I understand that even the first generation ps3s were quiet and didn't run hot. But I'm sensitive to noise and this guy will be in a cabinet without much circulation. Heat can shorten the lifespan of your electronics.

19. JD2010

JD2010 Member

The PS3 fan has an ambient temperature sensor in it.
    I highly suggest you don't put it in a cabinet.
    The fan gets increasingly louder as it detects heat...

20. RC Cola

I believe the new 80GB SKU will hit stores in September.