1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoffs Watch Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by marks0223, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its the same every year…. The WS has a set start date, usually 2 days after a potential game 7 LCS. (Astros-Yankees game 7 would have been on Wednesday… off day after… then WS starts on Friday). Unfortunately both LCS ended in 4 and 5 games, so there’s some dead time now.

There is some criticism as to whether or not they need to do that (set a fixed start date), especially when its not a super bowl-type event at a neutral site that needs major prep work…. Then again, this is the center-stage for MLB so they do want to secure everything ahead of time, including knowing exact days/time-slots for TV purposes.

They’ve chosen to not compete against the NFL… which makes sense (off days Sunday and Thursday). It wasn’t that long ago where the NFL actually chose not to compete against the World Series and there wouldn’t be a Sunday night NBC game. That would be unheard of now where the NFL has lapped all sports leagues in viewership, but it was literally within the last 15 years.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

2005 NLCS - 6 games, ALCS - 5 games
    2017 ALCS - 7 games, NLCS - 5 games
    2019 ALCS - 6 games, NLCS - 4 games
    2021 ALCS - 6 games, NLCS - 6 games

This is by far the earliest both teams have clinched the LCS in an Astros WS. And its historically been the Astros that took longer to close things out.

rpr52121 likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They are bad defensively all around the field except at C. Prior to the deadline they had a glaring hole in CF. They are pretty weak at SS. Prior to the deadline the back of their rotation was bad (now it’s above average with Syndergaard). Their bullpen is (like most bullpens) largely erratic.

They are a good team. They have a superstar and 3-4 other star level hitters, and there now are no total zeroes in their lineup. Their rotation is good and their bullpen has been hot. They are totally capable of beating the Astros 4 times in 7 games. But there’s a reason the Astros are favored.

CisBuds4U likes this.
  4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Hopefully we put pressure on their defense. I want to see some steals, stretching for extra bases, etc.

With a healthy JV, LMJ, and Bregman I’m feeling much more confident then last year.

everyday eddie likes this.
  5. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

If the Phillies are so bad defensively, I'd like to see the Astros modify their hitting approach to put more balls into play vs. the HR dependent offense we have seen so far. This would extend starter innings and pitch counts, hopefully getting their weaker bullpen arms into the game more often. Worst case scenario would be for Nola/Wheeler going 6+ strong and then handing it to Suarez and Dominguez.

6. jayfree

jayfree Member

I'm saying it now... Mancini will have a good series and deliver a clutch RBI and possibly a HR when we need it

htownrox1 and conquistador#11 like this.
  7. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Technically he already delivered a clutch RBI.

But I certainly hope so. I love his story. He deserves to have a great series and have high note winning a ring.

htownrox1 likes this.
  8. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Hasn't the Astros approach always been to put balls in play?

STR8Thugg and crose like this.
  9. SuraGotMadHops

I don't think the Astros HR based offense this postseason was intended, it just kind of happened that way. Contrast with the Yankees that tried to hit HRs every AB and struck out trying most of the time.

10. SuraGotMadHops

Exactly this. That was the Nats formula in 2019, Scherzer and Strasburg were able to pitch deep into the game and in their 4 wins they didn't need to use their mediocre bridge relievers. The three we took we beat up on their non-allstar starters and their middle relief. To beat Philly we will have to knock out Wheeler and Nola early enough to make them use their middle relief, this is exactly how we were able to take the Gerrit Cole game from NY. I had the Cole start in NY circled as a loss, but the offense got his pitch count up and got him out of the game in the 6th with no outs.

everyday eddie and rpr52121 like this.
  11. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

when was the last time the astros played at the phillies ball park?

i hope astros OF won't pull an acuna

12. Major

Major Member

In game 1, Scherzer went 5 innings and the Nationals used 4 different relievers.
    In game 2, Strasburg went 6 innings and the Nationals used 3 different relievers (only 1 overlapped from the day before).

Their starters in games 3-5 also all went 5 or 6 innings. Same in game 7. Only in game 6 did their starter go deep (8+ innings).

13. htownbball

htownbball Member

All comes down to situational hitting. We're able to put runners on base and getting them into scoring position, we just need to bring them home. Sac flies, moving runners over, stealing bases...we need to do the little things to win and then hopefully get into a big inning.

phasors28 likes this.
  14. HTM

HTM Member

Hopefully I thought his ABs in NY looked better

15. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

For me the key to the series is Tucker. He will get a lot of opportunities to drive home runs and be in key situations- he has been in a mini-slump for the past month . Obviously we need the top of our order to show up and I’m hoping Alvarez’s no show during the ALCS was not related to his hand injuries. But King Tuck needs a big series - and I think we win if he’s clicking

everyday eddie likes this.
  16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Philly is clicking on all cylinders. Their pitching has been lights out. They have 4 SP’s that are absolutely dealing. If the Astros play their best ball this will probably still go 7 games. Our hitters will be shut down, especially in cold ass philly. This is going to be a dogfight and we could easily lose. This could be just like the Nats series.

phasors28 likes this.
  17. htownbball

htownbball Member

Agreed. Was hoping SD would win for the better weather. It'll be Lance, Christian, and JV pitching in the colder weather. We need to win at home. We need to be able to play small ball and not count on the home run to save us. We can't let Harper and Hoskins get hot and drop bombs.

Tomstro likes this.
  18. JazzLakerHater

This long break is killing me; I wish we can start tomorrow. I’ve been a nervous wreck ever since we clinched. I cannot take a third straight WS loss. I may have to take a mental break from baseball if we do lose.

19. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

We swept two series without Altuve and Tucker hardly contributing anything. Yordan was also not good against the Yankees. If two of those 3 get going the Astros win in 6.

everyday eddie and crose like this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm excited but very uneasy about this series. On paper this should be a sweep but I'm uneasy.

Rewatching the highlights from the Yankees series we were in the Yankees head. As much as their is Yankees mystique there is an Astros Mystique. Our pitiching is outstanding but statistically the Yankees aren't as bad as the looked. At the sametime they made several mental errors. Even when they took the lead in game 4 it really felt like the Stros were going to come back.

As much as the Astros beat the Yankees they beat themselves. Given the recent history, the pressure the Yankees have because of their pedigree it semed like they couldn't handle it.

The Phillies don't have that history and as the wild card team they have come much further than anyone expected. They've already met and exceeeded expectations. They can play loose and without the pressure of having been WS or bust than what the Yankees had. Also they don't have the weight of recent history of the Astros crushing their dreams.

Baseball is also a game of streaks. We're on a phenomenal streak but so are they. We;ve seeen first hand the darkhorse team that comes out of nowehere and wins it all. The Phillies look a lot like that team.

I still think we win and will be rooting my heart out for the Stros. I don't think we should be planning our parade route yet though.

JazzLakerHater likes this.