1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoffs Watch Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by marks0223, Oct 5, 2022.

1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Right but no one gives the Astros due credit for theirs because of the scandal. Whenever non die-hards sees, writes, or refers anything related to that title, they scoff and mock at the Astros. Whether it has been proven to not be effective, not used in the playoffs, or being used throughout the league. Even the average Astros fans I know who not on this board fell like that; they were let down and that the title is asterisked and may not count.

It nearly as bad as media and NBA fans not giving credit to the Rockets and Hakeem for their 2 rings "because Jordan wasn't there for 1.5 seasons".

#1401 rpr52121, Oct 23, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  2. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Top 2 starters are Wheeler and Nola. They didn't face Wheeler but Nola had a perfect game going into the 6th or something like that. Syndergaard and Robertson are 2 bullpen pitchers I can think of and the guy who got the save today is their other stsrter

CisBuds4U likes this.
  3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Man, I'm as happy with 3-0 as anyone, but I'd like to win 1 more game before concerning myself with the ****ing Phillies. Geezus, people.

astros123 and crose like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Phillies and potentially the Astros. Nice

houston#1 likes this.
  5. STR8Thugg

Better

6. steveng125

steveng125 Member

an someone give me some recommendations on seating? I have 2k for 2 tickets..right now the options are section 132,152,153 or 252,253

7. HTM

HTM Member

Lance looks awful

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

So I know the connotation with red hot WC NL East teams… but honestly, braves and nats had better pitching. Hell nats had Scherzer and Strausberg. Nola has been nails but I still think nats had better. Also nats bullpen was better. So many runs scored, bullpens of both teams have been bad. Pitching wins in the playoffs, and this might be the deepest pitching we have had… of any WS year.

O, and we haven’t lost a single game while Alvarez went semi cold, Tucker was silent, and altuve is 1/1000000… HAVENT LOST A GAME… Bring on whoever, let’s go.

Mr Woods likes this.
  9. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Also last year no Verlander and McCullers and Valdez was still shaky and not the CY Young caliber pitcher that he is this year. Wheeler and Nola are great but Verlander and Valdez can go toe to toe. Just keep it close and force them to go to the bullpen. Like you said pitchers are deep, if it becomes a bullpen vs bullpen, advantage Houston? Then you have McCullers for game 3 and Javier for game 4. Them being unfamiliar with Javier could be an advantage as well because if the invisiball.

*plus have Garcia and World Series king Urquidy to pitch a tandem if need be. How crazy would it be if Houston didn't even use Urquidy during the playoffs? Must be getting bored.

10. htownbball

htownbball Member

I'm glad Phillies closed it out early. Having 5 days off may cool off the bats a littl and get back to normal. Hopefully gives us time to reset and do our homework in the film room.

11. Buck Turgidson

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

:D

#1412 J.R., Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  13. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

And last year Bregman's hand was giving him problems which led to him going 2 for 21 at the plate... and Yordan was ice cold, going 2 for 20 at the plate during the World Series. Zack Greinke had as many hits during last year's World Series as these two guys!

2017 Team: World Series champs; caught fire at the right time
    2019 Team: Best hitting MLB team in several decades, JV cooled down the stretch, and the Nationals were on fire with a handful of often injured players, including Strasburg and Rendon. Astros still should have hung on in Game 7 to win.
    2021 Team: Pitching staff decimated by injuries. No hitting all series. Braves had players playing far above their capabilities (D'Arnaud, Soler, Will Smith)
    2022 Team: Best pitching staff in Astros history. Complete team.

marks0223, Wulaw Horn and punkoholic like this.
  14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The WS should be a toss up. I know the Astros swept both series but the Yankees are overrated, they have been since that fluke start. They were not playing like a 99 win team, not for months. Look at the black holes in their lineup, and Judge was slumping. They barely got by the Guardians who are also not that good.

the Phillies are the opposite, they have a dangerous lineup with no auto outs. I can't tell you how much of a break it was for the Astros all series to be knowing that they can face Donaldson and Carpenter, and have it always be a strike out. Phillies are so much better than the Yankees offensively. Also the NL is playing better than the AL is, higher quality teams and that has been the case all season.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Astros -180 to win the WS in my local book

+165 for the Phillies

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Who knew that when it was all said/done, the Mariners will have had the best starting pitcher (Castillo) and best overall lineup in terms of depth vs. any other team the Astros will play the entire post-season (Phillies included).

xcrunner51 likes this.
  17. STR8Thugg

Idk about the lineup, but seattle was a damn strong team and extremely difficult to beat.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

I don't think Castillo is better than Cole or even Wheeler/Nola

Philly's batting lineup is better than Seattle's

19. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

the Phillies obviously have a deep lineup but they’re gonna have to ride their ace starters and 2-3 trusted relievers hard.

the Astros pitching depth and much stronger defense will play some factor. Houston was the only LCS team that didn’t make a lot or significant defensive miscues.

20. SuraGotMadHops

Phillies scare the daylights out of me. Team that under achieved in the regular season but are catching fire at the perfect time. They remind me so much of the 2019 Nats, white hot in the playoffs with two aces at the top of the rotation. Then that lineup, Harper, Schwarber, Realmuto, Castellenos...they will be MUCH bigger problem for our pitchers than the Yankee fly swatters.

I am freaking scared man.

TheRealist137 likes this.